Disneyland vs. Disney World- name things you like better about each park`

Little Green Men

Well the "swamp lands" make the monorails feel like actual transportation going over the roads and seeing resorts in the distance. I still like Epcot but the monorail views are as good now as in the 80s. Star Tours also fits better in DHS than Tomorrowland. It's not taking place in the future anyway so it's as good a fit as Stitch.

StarWarsGirl

(Radiator Springs is better than its twin Test Track)
Agree with you on that. It's a shame you didn't get to experience the original TT, which is much better than the current version. If you're interested, you can check out this video of the previous version. The video shows the queue and the preshow, but if you want to skip to the actual attraction, it starts around the 11 minute mark.

Only thing better about TT is that it goes faster and (I think) it has a larger rider capacity. I know it has more loading platforms than RSR

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it depends on what you are looking for, I did a rough count and:

DLR = 57 Rides (22 unique), 2 parades, 1 fireworks show, 2 spectaculars, and 3 major shows.
WDW = 61 Rides (26 unique), 2 parades, 2 fireworks shows, 1 spectacular, and 9 major shows.

I prefer the following similar rides at DL: Space Mtn, Indy (over Dinosaur), POTC, Big Thunder Mtn, Buzz, RSR (over TT), Cal Screamin (over RnRC), and Grizzly (over Kali River). I think World of Color is the best spectacular but also prefer F! at DL over F! at HS.

I prefer the following similar rides at WDW: Splash Mtn, Hall of Presidents (over Lincoln), Astro Orb, and ToT. I think Wishes barely edges out Remember for best fireworks show, barely. Illuminations is unique to WDW and 3rd only to wishes and Remember.

I think Disneyland and DCA are better amusement parks but I think WDW is a better overall vacation because it has more variety. If I only had 3 days I'd pick DL in a heartbeat over WDW but if I had a week I'd pick WDW over DL in a heartbeat. I don't view one as better, they are just different.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Magic Kingdom may have the Peoplemover and higher rockets, but it also has a pathetically neglected Space Mountain, completely out of place cartoon attractions and a pathetic version of the Autopia that has never fit any land's theme in Magic Kingdom's history
Space Mountain may need a refurb, but it's not ever going to be like the DL version. It was the first, and it's still a heck of a lot of fun. I agree that Indy Speedway is not nearly as good as Autopia. Overall, Tomorrowland is the one area of DL that falls short. You've got an essentially abandoned building in the middle, Astro Orbiter in the middle of the path, and abandoned PeopleMover tracks. It very much needs help. Overall, I think DL is a better park than MK, but I found Tomorrowland to be disappointing. Even though WDW's Tomorrowland does need work (Carousel of Progress especially) I think DL's is in more dire need.

StarWarsGirl

Disneyland is ginormous compared to Magic Kingdom and has a ton more stuff to do, and not to mention much better ride quality. As well as being walking distance from the other ginormous theme park AND downtown disney AND the hotels.

Disney World I'd like better for the fact of Epcot. There's nothing else like it. Whether it's in a bad state or not, I still love it.
Actually, DL park is smaller than MK, but since it has more attractions, it feels bigger.

StarWarsGirl

there aren't huge open areas of concrete
Actually, at WDW, the fact that there are larger paths makes it easier to navigate. This was one thing I didn't like about DL. Trying to get around during a parade or fireworks was virtually impossible. I also found that it felt like it got crowded very, very quickly. Since there's more space at WDW, no need to worry about making pathways small. There's plenty of space.
Star Tours (it's WAY cooler having it in the Magic Kingdom)
And also way more crowded, but I digress...
Tiki Room and Buzz Lightyear are all arguably superior to their WDW counterparts.
I'm sorry, but other than being able to eat Dole Whip in line (which, when you're allergic to pineapple, basically negates that) and the lack of a dumb preshow, how is the Tiki Room better at DL? How can two attractions that are exactly the same, both boring and only worth your time if all other lines are long, have one that's better than the other? I like the newer technology in the DL Buzz, but there were too few targets in the room. Would love to see a WDW redo of Buzz. Then it would trounce the DL version.
Splash, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are debatable
Splash is way better at WDW. More audioanamatronics in each room, almost two minutes longer, boats are more comfortable, just overall better. HM is debatable, but I lean towards WDW's. DL's is missing the library with the greatest ghost writers the literary world has ever known, the ghost pianist, and the portrait with the man who turns to bones in the beginning. The streching room is kind of cool at DL's since it's an elevator and not just a room where the ceiling goes up. Tom Sawyer Island I prefer DL's with the Pirate revamp. Jungle Cruise I like better at WDW because of the tunnel. Treehouse is better at DL.
far superior entertainment like Fantasmic! and Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks.
WDW has a longer version of Fantasmic and you can actually sit down without paying for it. While the dragon is better at the DL version, as a short person, I found it hard to see the show at times, and it was difficult to get where you were going while the show is playing. I have not seen Remember, but Wishes is much better than Magical (other than Dumbo flying).

Vegas Disney Fan

Overall, Tomorrowland is the one area of DL that falls short. You've got an essentially abandoned building in the middle, Astro Orbiter in the middle of the path, and abandoned PeopleMover tracks. It very much needs help.

This is one thing I also prefer about DLR at the moment, as I walk around DLR Tomorrowland is the only area that I think needs work. When I walk around WDW I find myself daydreaming about what I wish they would do to FutureWorld at Epcot, most of HS, and parts of AK. WDW just doesn't seem to get the TLC that DLR gets and other than MK all the parks seem to be lacking something. World Showcase is amazing but FW is kind of depressing. HS has 3 of my favorite WDW rides, a couple good shows, and a few restaurants I really enjoy but that's about it. AK is amazing because it's so unique, I love the safari, love EE, love Lion King and Nemo, and love just wandering around because it's so beautiful but at times I feel like all I'm doing is walking around looking at stuff because there isn't much to do.

I'm optimistic with all that is going on at WDW that a lot of these problems will just be a memory in 10 years (assuming Pandora, Pixar, and Star Wars all happen) but at the moment I think a lot of WDW needs help.

StarWarsGirl

This is one thing I also prefer about DLR at the moment, as I walk around DLR Tomorrowland is the only area that I think needs work. When I walk around WDW I find myself daydreaming about what I wish they would do to FutureWorld at Epcot, most of HS, and parts of AK. WDW just doesn't seem to get the TLC that DLR gets and other than MK all the parks seem to be lacking something. World Showcase is amazing but FW is kind of depressing. HS has 3 of my favorite WDW rides, a couple good shows, and a few restaurants I really enjoy but that's about it. AK is amazing because it's so unique, I love the safari, love EE, love Lion King and Nemo, and love just wandering around because it's so beautiful but at times I feel like all I'm doing is walking around looking at stuff because there isn't much to do.

I'm optimistic with all that is going on at WDW that a lot of these problems will just be a memory in 10 years (assuming Pandora, Pixar, and Star Wars all happen) but at the moment I think a lot of WDW needs help.
Well, it makes sense. DL just got a lot of TLC, especially DCA. MK doesn't need as much work, but the rest of the parks do. But they are getting it. I still like WDW overall better. With DL, things would bother me. The thin pathways bothered me a lot. I understand that there's not as much space, but it still bothered me. Smaller restrooms and pretty much always having a line for the ladies room was annoying. I also didn't think the food was as good. I also prefer the summer weather for swimming at WDW. We stay at BC in the summer and spend a lot of time at the pool. In June, there were times in DL where I felt like I needed a jacket. It was comfortable for walking around the parks, but not pool weather. I also agree with the OP that there's more in WDW to fill a longer vacation. So...I'll keep going to WDW twice a year as I currently do and head back to DL once every few years when we can afford to.

Vegas Disney Fan

My wife and I are planning, at some point in the near future, on going to DL and we have a few questions if you DL diehards don't mind answering. Thanks in advance.................
We usually go to WDW in Sept so we want to plan a trip to DL around 4-6 months after that. So......
Between Jan and March, when is the least crowded time to go without springbreakers and tour groups, etc?
Is there a meal plan like in WDW?
Is the Blue Bayou Restaurant worth it? Sounds like a good place.
What other restaurants are there and are most of them good?

One thing of note that I saw when I did some research is that.....as most people already know....I cannot believe the difference in price between the on property hotels vs the ones across the street. I REALLY wanted to stay at a DL hotel but when I saw the prices, my mouth dropped. I then saw the price for....I believe...a Best Western right across the street and breathed a sigh of relief and was thrilled at the price to stay there. Wow.

Anytime between Jan and March should be relatively slow, I have had pretty good luck using http://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/. One thing I find funny is DL will often feel busier than WDW but the lines are almost always much shorter. A couple things to consider when picking a time to go during slow season is it's refurb season so check the refurb schedule, the fireworks and F! might only be showing on the weekends so check the entertainment schedule, and the runDisney Star Wars half marathon weekend is the 2nd week in January so that will be a good weekend to avoid unless you are running with us, the runDisney events are amazingly fun!

Blue Bayou is DL's must do TS, great food and the setting can't be beat. The DL hotels have a few really good restaurants and there are a handful of sit-down restaurants inside the parks but IMHO dining isn't a huge part of a DL vacation like it is at WDW. At WDW I always have a TS meal for dinner but I rarely eat anything but CS at DL, WDW has a much better TS selection but I think the CS offerings are better at DL. My favorites are the Fortune Cookery at DCA and the Riverbelle Terrace at DL.

As you noticed another major difference is the hotels, all the DL hotels are similar in price to the deluxe hotels at WDW, fortunately there are dozens of nice hotels just outside the parks for economy to moderate prices. One thing I love is everything is walking distance, park hopping is a couple minute walk, going back to your hotel is a 5-10 minute walk, Downtown Disney is a couple minute walk, because everything is so close it's very easy to get everywhere. It just stinks you have to leave the Disney bubble to get an affordable hotel room.

Last edited:

MasonDuo

Things I like better at WDW:
  • Haunted Mansion (DL version is missing parts)
  • Tiki Room (Same thing basically)
WDW Haunted Mansion over DL for sure
but DL Haunted Mansion holiday overlay over WDW Haunted Mansion. We aren't fans of the nightmare before christmas and were amazed at it overlay

Plus the tiki rooms are so different j/k but the pre-shows are different and also Disneyland you can get a dole whip in the queue area and actually eat it inside. Plus the Disneyland version has the nice water feature.

Vegas Disney Fan

All this talk about DL and WDW made me so homesick I went and booked a quick trip for next Wed - Fri :). It's been 4 weeks since my last trip so I guess I was due anyway, lol. Fortunately I have an AP so it only costs me a few hotel nights, gas, food, and the inevitable souvenirs. I may be an addict because these will be days 22-24 since January.

HatboxGhost

Anytime between Jan and March should be relatively slow, I have had pretty good luck using http://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/. One thing I find funny is DL will often feel busier than WDW but the lines are almost always much shorter. A couple things to consider when picking a time to go during slow season is it's refurb season so check the refurb schedule, the fireworks and F! might only be showing on the weekends so check the entertainment schedule, and the runDisney Star Wars half marathon weekend is the 2nd week in January so that will be a good weekend to avoid unless you are running with us, the runDisney events are amazingly fun!

Blue Bayou is DL's must do TS, great food and the setting can't be beat. The DL hotels have a few really good restaurants and there are a handful of sit-down restaurants inside the parks but IMHO dining isn't a huge part of a DL vacation like it is at WDW. At WDW I always have a TS meal for dinner but I rarely eat anything but CS at DL, WDW has a much better TS selection but I think the CS offerings are better at DL. My favorites are the Fortune Cookery at DCA and the Riverbelle Terrace at DL.

As you noticed another major difference is the hotels, all the DL hotels are similar in price to the deluxe hotels at WDW, fortunately there are dozens of nice hotels just outside the parks for economy to moderate prices. One thing I love is everything is walking distance, park hopping is a couple minute walk, going back to your hotel is a 5-10 minute walk, Downtown Disney is a couple minute walk, because everything is so close it's very easy to get everywhere. It just stinks you have to leave the Disney bubble to get an affordable hotel room.
Great info and I will have to check the crowd forecast site. Thanks again.

syoungkin39

What I like about DL is how close it is to CA. It is literally walking distance. With WDW, I don't buy a park hopper because it takes too long to go from one park to another (unless you're going from MK to EPCOT). With DL, I always bought a park hopper.

As for DW, I like the queue area for Toy Story Mania better. I have no doubt that it is probably just as long as the CA version but, each time I went to it in California, I was exhausted before I even got on the ride. I think the difference is that the queue in CA folds and twists inside of itself. Thus, just when you thought you made progress, you are turned back around and not that far from where you were before. With Florida, the queue keeps moving forward so you can psychologically feel a sense of progress. Also, the queue in Florida has more to look at it. Thus, you can be distracted while waiting in line.

George Lucas on a Bench

You know, I actually prefer The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, at least the normal version since I despise the Holiday version (many people see that as a plus, however). Anyway, Magic Kingdom lacks the walk-through sections that Disneyland has. True, they aren't THAT significant, but it makes a huge difference to me when you emerge from the portrait gallery and enter that corridor with the changing portraits (Magic Kingdom received a bootleg version of this on the ride itself that destroyed the original portrait scene) and the loading area with the limbo of boundless mist and decay, as opposed to relatively plain corridors where people just get annoyingly backed up these days after being dumped from the stretching rooms. Even when you get off the Doom Buggy, you don't simply walk down a corridor back to the living world, you ascend from the crypt and see the little ghostess. I don't know, I feel these walk-through parts perfectly bookend the ride (which isn't as severely altered as Magic Kingdom's) and take the place of the additional scenes on the Magic Kingdom version, which aren't really necessary, even if they are cool. Plus, you don't have the PlayLand queue destroying the ambiance of the Mansion's grounds.

CamiCan

Original Poster
What I like about DL is how close it is to CA. It is literally walking distance. With WDW, I don't buy a park hopper because it takes too long to go from one park to another (unless you're going from MK to EPCOT). With DL, I always bought a park hopper.

As for DW, I like the queue area for Toy Story Mania better. I have no doubt that it is probably just as long as the CA version but, each time I went to it in California, I was exhausted before I even got on the ride. I think the difference is that the queue in CA folds and twists inside of itself. Thus, just when you thought you made progress, you are turned back around and not that far from where you were before. With Florida, the queue keeps moving forward so you can psychologically feel a sense of progress. Also, the queue in Florida has more to look at it. Thus, you can be distracted while waiting in line.

The one in CA has less than a 30 minute wait if you go any weekday when schools are in session and can be a walk on a cold rainy winter day when the schools are in session. It does get up to 2 hours during peak vacation times on weekends though. When were at HS, the one in Florida did have an 70 minute wait without the FP but we used the FB to go on it once and waited about 20 minutes. The line was an indoors and AC with all those games and the interactive Mrs Potato Head so I would imagine the time goes by faster than the CA for those who decide to brave the lines. Since the ride itself is so similar to the one in CA, we decided not to do it a second time and focus on the other stuff at HS. Most of the other stuff had wait times less than 20 minutes and we got everything done in HS easily by 5PM (including all three shows!).

CheshireCat12

Disneyland wins on:
A ton of dark rides
Space Mountain with a musical soundtrack playing in your ears
Some unique attractions like the Storybook canal boats- miniature settings of different movies- its cute
DCA in its entirety- but specifically for Cali Screamin', CarsLand/RSR theming, and the Aladdin musical
Pirates was better- more drops and just cooler in general
Hopping is easy and quick- just exit one gate and enter the other!

WDW wins on:
Dining- especially at WS
Fireworks shows
Cinderella Castle
The variety of different resorts
MagicBands- easier to pay, get in/out of parks, etc. - I was wishing DLR had them because I had to keep taking out my park ticket to hop across, it was annoying
Monorail system

There are a lot more for both but these stand out for me
More parks to visit including two great water parks

CheshireCat12

A little background: I am a WDW goer. I have been going twice a year since I was a baby (sometimes three times a year) and spend about a month out of the year in WDW. I have been to DL twice, once in 2009 and once in 2013, each for 6 days, staying on property at Grand Californian
Things I like better at WDW:
  • Winnie the Pooh (sorry, this is tenfold better than the DL version)
  • Splash Mountain (DL version was pathetic)
  • Haunted Mansion (DL version is missing parts)
  • TofT
  • Castle. Sleeping Beauty Castle is charming. Cinderella Castle is spectacular
  • Tomorrowland design (no odd, unused Peoplemover tracks)
  • Paths are wider, so it doesn't feel as crowded
  • Wishes (over Magical)
  • Queues overall, especially TSM and Little Mermaid
  • TS restaurants
  • Waterparks
  • Monorail actually has a purpose other than just being an attraction
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Star Tours has a larger capacity at WDW
  • Seating for Fantasmic
  • Goofy's Barnstormer over Gadget's GoCoaster
  • Tea Cups (is it my imagination or are the ones at WDW bigger?)
  • Astro Orbiter belongs on top, not in the middle of the pathway
  • I like being "stuck" on Disney property and only being able to see off property from certain points. I felt like DL was crowded in to a degree
  • Size of Dumbo (plus FP availability and indoor queue for FL weather)
  • Restrooms are bigger
  • American Adventure over Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (since the two share a segment)
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends over Submarine Voyage (while a longer ride, took too long to load)
  • Contemporary over DL Hotel

Things I like better at DL
  • Overall, I just think there is more to each of these parks. DL park is a better park than MK
  • PofC
  • Newer Monorails
  • Radiator Springs Racers over TT
  • Indiana Jones over Dinosaur
  • Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular over ANY WDW SHOW
  • Toontown. Far better than WDW's Toontown ever was
  • Still have traditional FP
  • More dark rides in Fantasyland
  • Soarin' film not degrading/lens was not dirty
  • Grand Canyon on the train
  • I like the newer technology of Astro Blasters, but felt there were too few targets in each room
  • Weather
  • Autopia over Indy Speedway (by far)
  • Location of Dumbo
  • Tarzan's Treehouse over Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
  • Grizzly River Run over Kali River Rapids
  • Grand Californian over Grand Floridian. Grand Californian has the luxurious feel without being stuffy like Grand Floridian
  • Adventureland overall
Tied or not comparable
  • Space Mountain. Two completely different attractions
  • Rock 'n Roller Coaster vs. California Screamin'. I like Rock 'n Roller Coaster better even though it's shorter, but they are completely different attractions
  • Captain EO (same thing)
  • Muppet Vision 3D (same thing)
  • Little Mermaid (have not experienced since last refurb at DL, queue is better at WDW, though, better placement)
  • Matterhorn vs. Everest. Not comparable even though they are similar. At least the Yeti works on Matterhorn!
  • It's a Small World. Like them both for what they are. Love the Disney characters incorporated in the DL version, though
  • Tiki Room (Same thing basically)
The yeti may work on Matterhorn, but they could really use some seat cushions...would have vastly improved my impression of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom