Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Beyond what is known to the public? Like more backstage areas? Pretty soon all DL backstage will be off property. He may have been talking about projects like MAMMR. That came out of left field if you think about it.
I actually fully expect that in 10-15 years almost all backstage areas will be off property.

shambolicdefending

Here's my best attempt at a wish list:

-Totally re-imagineer the subs. Rebuild the Lagoon to modern standards, shorten the ride to about 10 minutes, and use driverless, continuous motion subs that other theme parks now have. This will significantly improve capacity and accessibility, and decrease operating costs (no more sub drivers and no more leaky Lagoon).

-Put a 21st century version of Mission to Mars back into the Innoventions space. Imagineer it beyond just a theater show and into a full, cutting edge attraction that uses similar tech as Soarin. This will capture the tradition of Tomorrowland, while still interesting the younger audience that isn't impressed with 1960s-inspired rocket ships anymore.

-Demo the elevated PeopleMover tracks, but turn the indoor spaces left behind into scenic walkways where guests can get a relaxing bird's-eye view of Tomorrowland interiors and exteriors, with interesting artwork (maybe historical concept art?) on display. Connect it to a new, future-themed table service restaurant somewhere on the south side.

-Bid a fond farewell to the Autopia. Build the Tron coaster there , and give whatever's leftover to Fantasyland.

-Finally, my fondest wish... figure out a way to bring back the Skyway, but this time run it all the way to Toon Town.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Better ideas.

• Build Horizons 2.0 in the old America Sings building.
  • Pizza Planet becomes a time traveling dark ride that incorporates the dinosaurs and the train in it's story telling. It would be a omnimover ride that goes around the back of Space Mountain.
  • Space Mountain gets an enclosed preshow in both levels of the Starcade. The preshow would be an asteroid impact on our space station. We need to get to the escape rockets and fix the damage outside. Preshow would be similar to WDS Armageddon show.
  • Star Tours becomes queue monorail stop that goes through the volcano in the back of the land.
  • The subs become preshow transportation to Sea Base Delta (Disneyland). Sea Base Delta includes a underwater coaster through glass tubes. The ride is surrounded by real fish.
  • Sea Base Delta is next to a modern looking version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. Here we are gathering energy from an active volcano. Of course something goes wrong.
  • Buzz lightyear and the tomorrowland terrace will become new Space station based restaurant.
  • Updated rocket jet ride put in center of the land.
  • Removal of Captain EO theater for outdoor amphitheater.

truecoat

I'm in favor of losing the subs until I think about what it might look like in the future. Although I probably won't ride them again, the walk between the subs and the Matterhorn is an amazing space and I'd definitely miss the view of that area.

Rich T

1967 Tomorrowland was wonderful, but I voted to demo everything but Space Mtn. Ideally, I'd love to see the return of the look, feel and optimism of 1967 and the same basic layout, with the Rocket Jets on a center tower above a central station for an update of the Peoplemover concept. Replace Autopia with something more exciting (and put an Autopia style ride in Cars Land replacing Rollicking Roadsters). Retheme the subs to the Underwater city theme. Udate of Flight to the Moon. Change out Star Tours and Buzz to something else.

The one thing from '67 that shouldn't return is the sponsorship-fueled idea that Corporations do no wrong and always hold the future of mankind in their best interests. Keep the optimism, but this time be optimistic that we all can find a brighter future together. WITHOUT being annoyingly PC or touchy-feely. And though Monsanto should probably sit this one out, we can still make miracles from molecules! :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
1967 Tomorrowland was wonderful, but I voted to demo everything but Space Mtn. Ideally, I'd love to see the return of the look, feel and optimism of 1967 and the same basic layout, with the Rocket Jets on a center tower above a central station for an update of the Peoplemover concept. Replace Autopia with something more exciting (and put an Autopia style ride in Cars Land replacing Rollicking Roadsters). Retheme the subs to the Underwater city theme. Udate of Flight to the Moon. Change out Star Tours and Buzz to something else.

The one thing from '67 that shouldn't return is the sponsorship-fueled idea that Corporations do no wrong and always hold the future of mankind in their best interests. Keep the optimism, but this time be optimistic that we all can find a brighter future together. WITHOUT being annoyingly PC or touchy-feely. And though Monsanto should probably sit this one out, we can still make miracles from molecules! :D
Miracles from Molecules song aside, how can you redo a ATIS without the booming "THIS IS MONSANTO", it just wouldn't be right.....

180º

I'm a believer in a science-fantasy Tomorrowland. Give me aliens and space travel so the present can never catch up to the future.
Florida’s TL ‘94 is for you. If you haven’t yet I suggest looking up Alien Encounter and Timekeeper.

britain

This is probably the only realistic way to preserve something close to the original intent of the place.

Uh - was this sarcasm? Walt was interested in science fact based futurism. Space travel, yes, but not aliens. I agree Sci-Fi / Sci-Fantasy is probably the best way to build it timelessly and never have to redo it again. But that's not the original intent of the place.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Tomorrowland is going to act as a Star Wars Land overflow with Hyperspace Mountain and god knows what else, and then after a year or two they'll maybe start getting serious about a redo - as long as they can find the latest and greatest IP to put in for everything. Who knows but we have no reason to believe they're going to invest in the area without advertising IP left & right.

Though to be slightly fair, MMRR is a little glimmer of hope.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tomorrowland is going to act as a Star Wars Land overflow with Hyperspace Mountain and god knows what else, and then after a year or two they'll maybe start getting serious about a redo - as long as they can find the latest and greatest IP to put in for everything. Who knows but we have no reason to believe they're going to invest in the area without advertising IP left & right.

Though to be slightly fair, MMRR is a little glimmer of hope.
A year or two comes real quick, so don't blink it'll be here before you know it. ;)

I do agree IPs will probably be used in some respect for any TL redo.

rebelk73

Baxter is retired. Rohde is the guy that gave us GOTG:Mission Breakout. I don't think you want him or his ear designing anything at Disneyland ever again.
Yes, Tony Baxter is retired, but he made a plan for tomorrowland that he wasn't allowed to do because of budgetary restrictions and I could see him coming back to fix it. Rhode is awesome and I love the GOTG remake.

TROR

Florida’s TL ‘94 is for you. If you haven’t yet I suggest looking up Alien Encounter and Timekeeper.
Though both Alien Encounter and Timekeeper relatively fit into the kind of Tomorrowland I'm envisioning, Florida's Tomorrowland 1994 was a 1950's view of the future. I'm picturing something closer in aesthetics to Tokyo's Tomorrowland.

With alien animatronics throughout the land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Though both Alien Encounter and Timekeeper relatively fit into the kind of Tomorrowland I'm envisioning, Florida's Tomorrowland 1994 was a 1950's view of the future. I'm picturing something closer in aesthetics to Tokyo's Tomorrowland.

View attachment 366941
View attachment 366942

With alien animatronics throughout the land.

View attachment 366943
View attachment 366945
I kind of like the idea, but wouldn't it seem a bit redundant with SW:GE and all the alien AAs being used there?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yeah they did the math, crunched the numbers, and decided that this "Mickey Mouse" IP was worth the investment.

LOL I nearly choked on my granola bar!

A year or two comes real quick, so don't blink it'll be here before you know it. ;)

I do agree IPs will probably be used in some respect for any TL redo.

Right!

Unfortunately I don't know if there's any future for new non-IP attractions. Restaurants and other shops may be following suit, especially with the prediction of Redd's turning into a permanent Alien Pizza Planet restaurant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL I nearly choked on my granola bar!

Right!

Unfortunately I don't know if there's any future for new non-IP attractions. Restaurants and other shops may be following suit, especially with the prediction of Redd's turning into a permanent Alien Pizza Planet restaurant.
Actually I wouldn't be too sure on that. WDI might surprise us here in the near future. TL might just be the place that Disney Execs allow WDI to brush off old non-IP ideas. Not the entire land mind you, but maybe a single attraction.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Actually I wouldn't be too sure on that. WDI might surprise us here in the near future. TL might just be the place that Disney Execs allow WDI to brush off old non-IP ideas. Not the entire land mind you, but maybe a single attraction.

I won't hold my breathe but who knows ;) I think the last non-IP attraction in the states was Expedition Everest back in 06? MMRR is the right IP, but still IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom