Disneyland to unveil centralized FastPass kiosk for 3 Tomorrowland rides in pilot program - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Disneyland plans to unveil a new centralized FastPass kiosk for three Tomorrowland rides as part of a pilot program that will let visitors obtain paperless attraction reservations tied to the Anaheim theme park’s mobile app.

A new centralized Tomorrowland kiosk will distribute FastPasses for the Space Mountain, Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters attractions, according to Disneyland officials.

The new Tomorrowland FastPass kiosk is expected to open in mid-October. Laughing Place reported that the new Tomorrowland FastPass kiosks will debut on Oct. 15.

The new touch screen FastPass kiosk will be located in front of the Tomorrowland Theater. Paper FastPasses will no longer be distributed for the three Tomorrowland attractions. Digital FastPasses for the three rides will be linked to the Disneyland app. Visitors will still only be able to obtain one FastPass at a time at the Tomorrowland kiosk.

The pilot program will gauge visitor usage of and reaction to the new centralized FastPass kiosk in Tomorrowland. Visitors not using the Disneyland app can take a photo of the Tomorrowland FastPass kiosk touch screen with their smartphone to confirm their attraction return time.<<

>>With more visitors using MaxPass, the need for physical FastPass machines and paper tickets in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure continues to decline. Consolidating the FastPass kiosks into a central location in each themed land preserves precious real estate in the parks.

Disneyland officials say 85 percent of guests use the Disneyland mobile app while in the park.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
They need to eliminate the paper tickets so people will scan their park tickets at the Fastpass return. This still causes mass confusion.

But this test is doing that. And anyone without a Smartphone or digital camera is out of luck. No Paper tickets will be issued. Should be interesting to hear the grips from old folks, or folks who batteries have died.

britain

But this test is doing that. And anyone without a Smartphone or digital camera is out of luck. No Paper tickets will be issued. Should be interesting to hear the grips from old folks, or folks who batteries have died.
So this kiosk won't involve the park entry ticket at all?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Sounds like you can scan the barcode of the Paper Tickets. All sign ins get a paper receipt for FP use, and many folks still get the Paper Admission tickets, can't get rid of that yet.

mickEblu

>>Disneyland plans to unveil a new centralized FastPass kiosk for three Tomorrowland rides as part of a pilot program that will let visitors obtain paperless attraction reservations tied to the Anaheim theme park’s mobile app.

A new centralized Tomorrowland kiosk will distribute FastPasses for the Space Mountain, Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters attractions, according to Disneyland officials.

The new Tomorrowland FastPass kiosk is expected to open in mid-October. Laughing Place reported that the new Tomorrowland FastPass kiosks will debut on Oct. 15.

The new touch screen FastPass kiosk will be located in front of the Tomorrowland Theater. Paper FastPasses will no longer be distributed for the three Tomorrowland attractions. Digital FastPasses for the three rides will be linked to the Disneyland app. Visitors will still only be able to obtain one FastPass at a time at the Tomorrowland kiosk.

The pilot program will gauge visitor usage of and reaction to the new centralized FastPass kiosk in Tomorrowland. Visitors not using the Disneyland app can take a photo of the Tomorrowland FastPass kiosk touch screen with their smartphone to confirm their attraction return time.<<

>>With more visitors using MaxPass, the need for physical FastPass machines and paper tickets in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure continues to decline. Consolidating the FastPass kiosks into a central location in each themed land preserves precious real estate in the parks.

Disneyland officials say 85 percent of guests use the Disneyland mobile app while in the park.<<

Interesting. The only place that would save space at DL is Tomorrowland and maybe Galaxies Edge when they eventually add FP to the rides. Every other land has only one FP station except Fantasyland where the Matterhorn/ IASW are already combined. Sounds like this is more about saving paper and maybe creating more demand for MaxPass and less about creating more real estate.

Maybe the end of free fast passes are near?

The_Mesh_Hatter

Interesting. The only place that would save space at DL is Tomorrowland and maybe Galaxies Edge when they eventually add FP to the rides. Every other land has only one FP station except Fantasyland where the Matterhorn/ IASW are already combined. Sounds like this is more about saving paper and maybe creating more demand for MaxPass and less about creating more real estate.

Maybe the end of free fast passes are near?

Roger Rabbit could be combined with the Fantasyland fastpass distribution. Relocating all the West side FP distributions to one spot would free up a lot of real estate. Splash Mountain would be if it from the removal of the FP dispensars; switchbacks could be moved there so the line doesn’t start obnoxiously at the HM exit. The Thunder and Indy queues could benefit from the extra space removing the FP dispensers would free up too.

As for where the centralized spot for the West side FP could be?... how about Tom Sawyer Island ;)

mickEblu

Roger Rabbit could be combined with the Fantasyland fastpass distribution. Relocating all the West side FP distributions to one spot would free up a lot of real estate. Splash Mountain would be if it from the removal of the FP dispensars; switchbacks could be moved there so the line doesn’t start obnoxiously at the HM exit. The Thunder and Indy queues could benefit from the extra space removing the FP dispensers would free up too.

As for where the centralized spot for the West side FP could be?... how about Tom Sawyer Island ;)

Lol @ Tom Sawyer Island.

Wouldnt combining all the West side attractions at one station create a big back up? Unless their are plenty of kiosks and this area had a large enough designated space but then one wonders how much room they re really saving. The areas that contain FP stations are pretty much big enough for an ODV cart. AHA! That’s what this. Operation get more ODV carts in the park.

Case solved

The_Mesh_Hatter

Lol @ Tom Sawyer Island.

Wouldnt combining all the West side attractions at one station create a big back up? Unless their are plenty of kiosks and this area had a large enough designated space but then one wonders how much room they re really saving. The areas that contain FP stations are pretty much big enough for an ODV cart. AHA! That’s what this. Operation get more ODV carts in the park.

Case solved

The centralized location would have to be on the larger side, but it would be presumably in a less busy corner of the park compared to an attraction entrance. Real estate around the entrance to E Tickets is much more valuable than, say, a dead corner of Big Thunder Trail.

I’d imagine moving the FP will allow Buzz’s queue to snake to the right into that space, instead of overflowing into Pixie Hollow like it does currently.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How long until Disneyland implements their own Magic-band type of system? I'm amazed there isn't already one in place, especially seeing that most visitors are local.
Yep knew this story would bring up this conspiracy theory again.

DLR already has a MB type of system, its called MaxPass.

mickEblu

The centralized location would have to be on the larger side, but it would be presumably in a less busy corner of the park compared to an attraction entrance. Real estate around the entrance to E Tickets is much more valuable than, say, a dead corner of Big Thunder Trail.

I’d imagine moving the FP will allow Buzz’s queue to snake to the right into that space, instead of overflowing into Pixie Hollow like it does currently.

I see what you re saying. I guess in cases like BTMRR that would improve traffic flow but I don’t feel that most of the other FP stations create congestion. Maybe HM during the holidays. I just wonder if the benefits are worth the hassle of creating a large centralized FP location for the entire west side of the park and then what kind of headache that in and of itself could create. Then again Disney didn’t confirm this. If the TL test works out they may just keep all the other FP stations where they re at but just change the machines. Except for Galaxies Edge that would get one new station for ROTR/ Falcon and Toontown which would get one new station for MMRR/ Roger. Yeah, I see every land having it’s own dedicated station.

britain

Just think, one day in the distant future these kiosks will be closed and converted into attraction signage. Like Alice's big mushroom or the Storybook Canal light house.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
...conspiracy theory? In what possible way? Also, how is your phone a replacement for a RFID wristband type of system?
Its a conspiracy theory because even after Disney already said the MB system wasn't going in any other park the fandom still tries to find proof its coming.

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole again on the whole discussion. But we can see based on not only DLR but also other parks around the world that the App is the way Disney is moving forward with the system. The phone can do everything the physical MBs can, including FP, Room Key, CC, etc.

Janir

From the first paragraph of the linked article.
Disneyland plans to unveil a new centralized FastPass kiosk for three Tomorrowland rides as part of a pilot program that will let visitors obtain paperless attraction reservations tied to the Anaheim theme park’s mobile app.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Its a conspiracy theory because even after Disney already said the MB system wasn't going in any other park the fandom still tries to find proof its coming.

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole again on the whole discussion. But we can see based on not only DLR but also other parks around the world that the App is the way Disney is moving forward with the system. The phone can do everything the physical MBs can, including FP, Room Key, CC, etc.

^^ Well not everyone knows that, including myself. Source?

Our phones are a powerhouse of different features so I fumble when I have to open a newly available fastpass when walking through a crowd of people. And I have terrible Sprint service, so that doesn't exactly help. Oh, and phones have battery life.

I don't really care to argue if Disneyland needs MagicBands, but I will say there would be some pros to it in partnership with your phone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
^^ Well not everyone knows that, including myself. Source?

Our phones are a powerhouse of different features so I fumble when I have to open a newly available fastpass when walking through a crowd of people. And I have terrible Sprint service, so that doesn't exactly help. Oh, and phones have battery life.

I don't really care to argue if Disneyland needs MagicBands, but I will say there would be some pros to it in partnership with your phone.
While MBs are nice the phone can do every single thing the MB can. So from a guest who fumbles with their phone perspective I can see why you would want MB. However from Disney's perspective why go backwards if a smart phone that a majority of park visitor use in the parks anyways works just the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom