Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Just open up Disneyland and Knotts to only the residents of Orange and San Diego County and Disney Cast Members/ Knott‘s employee’s from surrounding counties and call it a day.

As an OC resident, I totally wouldn’t mind. HOWEVER, I’m sure a lot of other AP holders across the state and in other states would be upset. Plus, this would also cause so much headache for Disney, even more than What it already has. Omg can you imagine lol

TP2000

As an OC resident, I totally wouldn’t mind. HOWEVER, I’m sure a lot of other AP holders across the state and in other states would be upset. Plus, this would also cause so much headache for Disney, even more than What it already has. Omg can you imagine lol

Well, that was a buzz kill. :(

But you are probably right. Whatever system Governor Newsom announces eventually, I just can't wait to see how it works and what the system is that dictates what can reopen when, and how. The county-by-county thing would be hysterical, only because it would be obvious that Orange County's parks were reopening first ahead of LA County's and Santa Clara County's parks. But I think that puts it off the table for Sacramento, so they'll go to a blanket statewide thing that doesn't allow any one county to go head of another.

But honestly, who knows what this mysterious dynamic conversation will produce?!? It's just so exciting at this point, it's like thumbing through the Neiman-Marcus Catalog again and again two weeks before Christmas! :D

Jiggsawpuzzle35

As a kind gesture to the AP Holders from surrounding counties, we can open up Adventure City for them as a sorry gift.

Emmanuel

F2A205E3-EFD1-4D2B-9CFB-CA394E96D668.jpeg

fctiger

Well I'm going to go out on a major ledge here and say it probably won't be open on September 16th.

It does seem like a lot of hints the parks are getting ready to being open again but it still may be a few months away. Maybe we will be surprised in the next few weeks but with so much of the state still not in the best shape I suspect nothing is opening for awhile, especially if other parks in other counties still can't. As others suggested it will probably be an all or nothing situation.

Darkbeer1

See the post by @DCBaker on the previous page. It is actually terrible news.
The register article shows that although Newsom kept saying “progress is being made,” it was fluff to keep us from pestering him about this anymore. In fact, while Newsom has been quoted by saying guidance is “forthcoming,” the executive director of California Attractions and Parks Association
directly said “guidance is not forthcoming.” It means newsom still never gave them anything to work towards or with. No guidance because it would give them a goal to work towards, and if they fulfill it, then he will have to let them open. He is purposely withholding that so they don’t open, because he doesn’t want them to yet, and now the theme park giants are upset and all the local business owners are upset that not only were they thrust into this economic headache, now Newsom is having press conferences where he is portraying these “dynamic talks” in a positive light with hope that “progress is being made” with no push to follow through on actually moving forward with this. The theme parks are pulling all the stops and now openly calling for these guidelines PUBLICALLY so they can reopen, and so the public can see that while they each provided their opening procedures months ago, he hasn’t given them anything. This is basically all that is left to do, because the Disney parks heads already made a few public comments about how they are “ready” and just waiting for the governor. Now that this is being spread public, all that is left is for those who care about theme parks in the media (ie OCR) to ask Newsom at his next press event and see if he will respond. Because I don’t actually see Disneyland moving to Texas lol.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wednesday was a staged protest by the small business owners TBH.

A Gold Star is awarded!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

OK, the CAPA press release had been made, the KTLA report with the city of Anaheim's spokesperson are just the first steps in a push to add pressure on Sacramento.

The Wednesday event is part of that continued push, that will continue until the Theme Park Industry gets a response from Sacramento.

I don’t want to underestimate the importance of having the wealth of the business community on board but they’re not a voice that gets a lot of traction on the Sacramento hierarchy of needs pyramid. In terms of what may or may not be planned this week (Wednesday?).... as someone who grasps only enough of the inner workings of Sacramento from a previous life to be dangerous, all I can say is I hope they have made progress getting the local unions on board with this public pressure campaign, too.

While much of the union leadership at the state level may range from non-committal to downright hostile to the interest of a conglomerate like Disney(land), the Newsom political folks (let alone his more wonky health policy staff) are going to be hard pressed to care about the small businesses on Harbor losing their jobs/livelihoods until it hits the PAC money. Though having their stories highlighted would only help.

However, if city of Anaheim outlines the present budgetary risk of defaultIng on their pension obligations to it’s legion of public/city employees or if the Disneyland unions overplay their hand leading to a vote of no confidence in leadership, then they’ll be getting real attention not only from the Administration but friendly legislators (from the more moderate voices of the controlling political party in SacTown).

Phroobar

However, if city of Anaheim outlines the present budgetary risk of defaultIng on their pension obligations to it’s legion of public/city employees or if the Disneyland unions overplay their hand leading to a vote of no confidence in leadership, then they’ll be getting real attention not only from the Administration but friendly legislators (from the more moderate voices of the controlling political party in SacTown).

giphy.gif

cmwade77

OK, the CAPA press release had been made, the KTLA report with the city of Anaheim's spokesperson are just the first steps in a push to add pressure on Sacramento.

The Wednesday event is part of that continued push, that will continue until the Theme Park Industry gets a response from Sacramento.
What would happen if all of the theme parks told Newsom we are going to reopen on a particular date, say September 29th with or without official guidelines. If they say they will adhere to any applicable guidelines that have been released for their county (such as rules on dining capacity, shopping capacity, etc.) and don't serve alcohol, there isn't much Newsom could do about it. If they don't serve alcohol he can't take away their liquor licenses and business licenses are controlled by the individual counties, so my guess is Universal and Six Flags might have a harder time convincing LA County to play along than the Orange County and San Diego County theme parks would, but it is still a lot of tax revenue that LA County is in desperate need of, not just from the theme parks, but all of the supporting businesses as well.

Alternatively, I am sure there are many legal challenges they could make forcing Newsom to reopen everything and the theme parks (and parent companies) have the money and lawyers to make it happen.

I am sure there are many other options, but I am wondering what happens if they simply refuse to play ball any more with Newsom.

cmwade77

I don’t want to underestimate the importance of having the wealth of the business community on board but they’re not a voice that gets a lot of traction on the Sacramento hierarchy of needs pyramid. In terms of what may or may not be planned this week (Wednesday?).... as someone who grasps only enough of the inner workings of Sacramento from a previous life to be dangerous, all I can say is I hope they have made progress getting the local unions on board with this public pressure campaign, too.

While much of the union leadership at the state level may range from non-committal to downright hostile to the interest of a conglomerate like Disney(land), the Newsom political folks (let alone his more wonky health policy staff) are going to be hard pressed to care about the small businesses on Harbor losing their jobs/livelihoods until it hits the PAC money. Though having their stories highlighted would only help.

And this kind of proves how bad unions really are, I mean keeping theme parks closed hurts not only the theme parks, but their suppliers (many of whom are small, local businesses and farms), related industries, such as hotels, transportation, mobility and nearby businesses like restaurants and even things like CVS and Walgreens and if they are affected, that causes even more issues with others.

Darkbeer1

So Wednesday will be a protest? I can see why you laughed at my last theory; this is the complete opposite of Newsom coming down to Disneyland and sprinkling pixie dust to open the gates. I saw OC board of supervisors are meeting at 9:30 today. Does that have anything to do with this too?
I did not say that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom