News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

DanielBB8

Prince Charming is made into Gaston by modern sensibilities. There can only be one villain in the fairy tale, the scary witch queen, but Prince Charming could be her accomplice if he didn’t kiss her for a bribe.

Castle Cake Apologist

5$ this dude has very little to no dating experience and the post you responded to makes it crystal clear. It’s Iike when my wife’s friend who had never been in a relationship tried giving my wife relationship advice when we were dating years ago. Sweet girl, a mutual friend and she meant well but No.

Lmao I'm married, but okay! 🤷‍♂️

Like @raven24 has pointed out several times, lack of consent isn't always a terrible thing, but kissing somebody without asking is indeed non-consensual. I'm on the same page though, that consent doesn't necessarily always have to be verbally given either. Sometimes you can indeed tell when the moment is right and it's okay, but you should never just grab somebody and kiss them out of the blue.

And whyyyy is everybody still going on and on about cancel culture?? The article that started this discussion never called for anything to be canceled, and I'm pretty sure that absolutely nobody in this thread has either. It's so wild that this is the only way some people here know how to have a discussion, with stupid insults and straw men.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

The world is definitely going down to swany.

Just let Snow White die - a happy ending for everyone.

Personally, the cancel culture is getting beyond now, you really could knick pick and get to cancel everything ever created if you dive deep enough.

There's no mention of Snow White breaking and entering and kissing grumpy without consent. why? because Its all nonsense.

Do kids really look at that scene and go 'that's not ok'? Its the parents responsilbity to bring their sons and daughters up in a proper and respectful way regarding the opposite sex. To indicate that its movie's like Snow White are the cause for such things is laughable

The only way out of this cancel culture is to not actually cancel anything but to educate.
Seems like you've missed just about every point.

This isn't a "cancel culture" issue. One reporter brought up the subject of consent in their review of the new ride, and now dozens of news outlets across the country are covering it as if there's a flurry of people calling for the ride to be shut down. There isn't. The "outrage" is manufactured and is getting WAY more play than it deserves, both in the headlines and in this thread. I'll link again to the article at the heart of all this, which you'll see is not the big deal it's being made to sound like:

Meanwhile, the concern about consent is that kids DON'T look at the scene and think "that's not okay", they probably don't consciously think about it at all. Which is why they should be encouraged by their parents to understand what's happening there with some greater context. There are already enough people who grow up to feel like they can just kiss someone because they feel like it, and it's worthwhile to be proactive and ensure that Snow White doesn't somehow quietly encourage young people to think like that. If it's the parents' responsibility, then parents should check in with their kids to make sure they aren't accidentally walking away from a movie with the wrong lesson. That's not a big ask or a challenging conversation, but it's useful to have it.

There are FAR more people trying to "cancel" a phantom contingent of people "who want Snow White ripped out" than there are people who actually want that to happen. Because basically no one feels that way. The headlines made that up to get clicks.

Think how all this could have been easily avoided if people just learned to read past the headlines . . .

DanielBB8

Seems like you've missed just about every point.

This isn't a "cancel culture" issue. One reporter brought up the subject of consent in their review of the new ride, and now dozens of news outlets across the country are covering it as if there's a flurry of people calling for the ride to be shut down. There isn't. The "outrage" is manufactured and is getting WAY more play than it deserves, both in the headlines and in this thread. I'll link again to the article at the heart of all this, which you'll see is not the big deal it's being made to sound like:

Meanwhile, the concern about consent is that kids DON'T look at the scene and think "that's not okay", they probably don't consciously think about it at all. Which is why they should be encouraged by their parents to understand what's happening there with some greater context. There are already enough people who grow up to feel like they can just kiss someone because they feel like it, and it's worthwhile to be proactive and ensure that Snow White doesn't somehow quietly encourage young people to think like that. If it's the parents' responsibility, then parents should check in with their kids to make sure they aren't accidentally walking away from a movie with the wrong lesson. That's not a big ask or a challenging conversation, but it's useful to have it.

There are FAR more people trying to "cancel" a phantom contingent of people "who want Snow White ripped out" than there are people who actually want that to happen. Because basically no one feels that way. The headlines made that up to get clicks.

Think how all this could have been easily avoided if people just learned to read past the headlines . . .
I already responded to this. It is cancel culture.

yensidtlaw1969

I already responded to this. It is cancel culture.

So the woman writing this article - the woman who says the quote below - is "cancel culture"?

"Still, with the twinkling lights all around and the gorgeous special effects, that final scene is beautifully executed — as long as you're watching it as a fairy tale, not a life lesson."

She's saying "I'm surprised Disney didn't take a different approach". That's not the same as "This scene is awful and needs to be condemned and removed".

It's being tremendously overblown already, no need to contribute to that.

DanielBB8

So what is being canceled here? Can you point out where anybody called for the ride to be shut down or for the film to no longer be shown? Or are you just continuing to hide behind a straw man?

Did you miss this from the article? "especially given the company's current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Why not re-imagine an ending in keeping with the spirit of the movie and Snow White's place in the Disney canon, but that avoids this problem?"

re-imagine an ending
re-imagine an ending
re-imagine an ending

Castle Cake Apologist

Did you miss this from the article? "especially given the company's current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Why not re-imagine an ending in keeping with the spirit of the movie and Snow White's place in the Disney canon, but that avoids this problem?"

re-imagine an ending
re-imagine an ending
re-imagine an ending

Yes, as has been pointed out to you SEVERAL TIMES NOW by multiple people, the author is expressing surprise at Disney's choice to include the scene with the new version of the ride, considering they are actively updating other attractions to remove problematic elements. The author does not say Disney should shut the ride down again and redo it or stop allowing people to watch Snow White, they literally praise the staging of the scene and say that it's fine within the context of a fairy tale.

I know reading comprehension can be tough, so try again.

DanielBB8

Yes, as has been pointed out to you SEVERAL TIMES NOW by multiple people, the author is expressing surprise at Disney's choice to include the scene with the new version of the ride, considering they are actively updating other attractions to remove problematic elements. The author does not say Disney should shut the ride down again and redo it or stop allowing people to watch Snow White, they literally praise the staging of the scene and say that it's fine within the context of a fairy tale.

I know reading comprehension can be tough, so try again.
It's cancel culture to insist the ending be changed. I know you don't want to admit this is cancel culture, but it is. There is no attempt at education. It's a request/demand to change the ending to not be like the movie. That's what re-imagine means.

Cancel culture doesn't just mean removing the ride. The author clearly wants the ending to change and brings up Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Jungle Cruise is still around, but it'll be a different ride. That's a wholesale change from the original.

I know you have comprehension difficulties, but you can't redefine meanings to suit your political agenda.

lazyboy97o

It's cancel culture to insist the ending be changed. I know you don't want to admit this is cancel culture, but it is. There is no attempt at education. It's a request/demand to change the ending to not be like the movie. That's what re-imagine means.

Cancel culture doesn't just mean removing the ride. The author clearly wants the ending to change and brings up Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Jungle Cruise is still around, but it'll be a different ride. That's a wholesale change from the original.

I know you have comprehension difficulties, but you can't redefine meanings to suit your political agenda.
Do you really not understand that ending was changed? Past tense?

yensidtlaw1969

Oh please. It's a suggestion at worst. She's not "demanding" Disney change anything. She even admits it's beautifully done if you're looking at it from the right lens.

And even if she WERE demanding anything, let's not pretend the voice of this one writer is so powerful or represents any meaninful faction who would join her in chaining themselves to City Hall. The outrage in the response to the article is infinitely more outrageous than the article.

Talk about looking for a problem where there is none . . .

Castle Cake Apologist

Lmao now I have a political agenda?? As I've explicitly said, I don't have any problem with the new scene (other than thinking it's unnecessary and wanting the scary forest back), so what is my political agenda? What does consent have to do with politics?? That has to be the wildest thing anybody has said in here yet.

Maybe you were unaware, but Disney was already "reimagining the ending" of the ride. There's nothing that required Disney to turn the ride into a book report, they easily could have just expanded upon the original ending. Did the original Imagineers have a "political agenda" for not including the kiss in the first place? The auth is literally just stating that they are surprised that Disney chose to go with this scene, all things considered, instead of ending the ride a different way. They never state that they think Disney should go back and redo it again.

It's honestly hilarious that you guys (who also don't even want this stupid new scene in the ride and complained endlessly about it when it was revealed) are bending over backwards and tripping all over yourselves to prove why the scene should be there. Most of us aren't even talking specifically about the ride, but about consent as a whole, since there seemed to be a pretty problematic understanding of what constitutes obtaining consent. I don't know how many times we can say that we don't think the scene in Snow White is an example of problematic non-consent. Even the author says the scene is fine in the context of a fairy tale, and that was coming from a flawed understanding of the story and thinking Snow is simply asleep.

I'm really excited to see where you move the goal post to now!

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Lmao I'm married, but okay! 🤷‍♂️

Like @raven24 has pointed out several times, lack of consent isn't always a terrible thing, but kissing somebody without asking is indeed non-consensual. I'm on the same page though, that consent doesn't necessarily always have to be verbally given either. Sometimes you can indeed tell when the moment is right and it's okay, but you should never just grab somebody and kiss them out of the blue.

And whyyyy is everybody still going on and on about cancel culture?? The article that started this discussion never called for anything to be canceled, and I'm pretty sure that absolutely nobody in this thread has either. It's so wild that this is the only way some people here know how to have a discussion, with stupid insults and straw men.
The cries of cancel culture are so incredibly ridiculous.

DanielBB8

Lmao now I have a political agenda?? As I've explicitly said, I don't have any problem with the new scene (other than thinking it's unnecessary and wanting the scary forest back), so what is my political agenda? Why on earth would you associate thinking consent is an important concept to understand with having a political agenda? That has to be the wildest thing anybody has said in here yet.

Maybe you were unaware, but Disney was already "reimagining the ending" of the ride. There's nothing that required Disney to turn the ride into a book report, they easily could have just expanded upon the original ending. Did the original Imagineers have a "political agenda" for not including the kiss in the first place? The auth is literally just stating that they are surprised that Disney chose to go with this scene, all things considered, instead of ending the ride a different way. They never state that they think Disney should go back and redo it again.

It's honestly hilarious that you guys (who also don't even want this stupid new scene in the ride and complained endlessly about it when it was revealed) are bending over backwards and tripping all over yourselves to prove why the scene should be there. Most of us aren't even talking specifically about the ride, but about consent as a whole, since there seemed to be a pretty problematic understanding of what constitutes obtaining consent. I don't know how many times we can say that we don't think the scene in Snow White is an example of problematic non-consent. Even the author says the scene is fine in the context of a fairy tale, and that was coming from a flawed understanding of the story and thinking Snow is simply asleep.

I'm really excited to see where you move the goal post to now!
Yes, because you want to redefine what cancel culture means. You are clever to change what I meant by political agenda.

Yes, Disney already re-imagined the ride to be like the movie. There's no problem with that.

The author clearly wants the ending to be different than the movie and to be her own reality because the fantasy isn't good enough for her.

denyuntilcaught

I find this to be the case in a majority of instances. One person calls for change, then the media amplifies it and makes the magnitude seem way more severe than what it is, then you have people (like on these boards) who decry "cancel culture" as if they're the one person willing to swim upstream to save...a Disney attraction?

DanielBB8

Oh please. It's a suggestion at worst. She's not "demanding" Disney change anything. She even admits it's beautifully done if you're looking at it from the right lens.

And even if she WERE demanding anything, let's not pretend the voice of this one writer is so powerful or represents any meaninful faction who would join her in chaining themselves to City Hall. The outrage in the response to the article is infinitely more outrageous than the article.

Talk about looking for a problem where there is none . . .
You just want to dismiss the problem since it's is so nefarious. It's just hilarious that we have to keep at it.

yensidtlaw1969

You just want to dismiss the problem since it's is so nefarious. It's just hilarious that we have to keep at it.
Which problem, the supersized and intentionally amplified reaction to a silly local review? I agree THAT should be dismissed.

People are yelling at this woman like she'd be affecting any change to the ride if they hadn't drowned out her voice with theirs. And we know that wouldn't be happening. Disney JUST changed the scene. Clearly it aligns with their vision. They're not suddenly changing it again because of one barely-critical review from a writer no one's ever heard of.

The only reason any of us are discussing this is because some slimy media outlets saw an opportunity to spin the story into a problem and get paid doing it. Now THAT'S nefarious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom