News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

yensidtlaw1969

The respose is so hideously outsized for the cause.

ONE reviewer mentioned that the old trope is newly featured in the ride. Now articles are framing that as if an angry mob is calling for Disneyland to remove the scene. That is not happening.

Yes, the cultural conversation about whether or not stories like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are problematic in their depiction of consent has been had, and SHOULD be had - by building awareness and understanding of how to view these particular works we can keep them unchanged and still avoid them causing problems.

But literally the impetus for all the "outrage" here in reference to Enchanted Wish was one person reviewing the ride saying "I didn't think they'd add that scene, but they did". Now news outlets have blown up a regional review into a national story about "Cancel Culture", when light reading will prove that's not actually what's happening here at all.

For those who haven't read the original article that "started all this", take a look and breathe a sigh of relief:

Last edited:

mickEblu

ONE reviewer mentioned that the old trope is newly featured in the ride. Now articles are framing that as if an angry mob is calling for Disneyland to remove the scene. That is not happening.

Yes, the cultural conversation about whether or not stories like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are problematic in their depiction of consent has been had, and SHOULD be had - by building awareness and understanding of how to view these particular works we can keep them unchanged and still avoid them causing problems.

But literally the impetus for all the "outrage" here was one person reviewing the ride saying "I didn't think they'd add that scene, but they did". Now news outlets have blown up a regional review into a national story about "Cancel Culture", when light reading will prove that's not actually what's happening here at all.

For those who haven't read the original article that "started all this", take a look and breathe a sigh of relief:

And you re missing the bigger point. Then news outlets like KTLA 5 pick up on it and make it a bigger thing. It doesn’t matter what it is. It’s about what the perception is.

Supreme Leader

But literally the impetus for all the "outrage" here was one person reviewing the ride saying "I didn't think they'd add that scene, but they did". Now news outlets have blown up a regional review into a national story about "Cancel Culture", when light reading will prove that's not actually what's happening here at all.

It's because Faux News picked up the "story" and decided to use it.

lazyboy97o

It’s not. The prince thinks she’s dead. But even if he didn’t I’m just done going there. This is just too silly.
I’m not talking about the ride. You said you don’t care about consent as a bizarre defense of a scene I’m guessing you didn’t even want in the ride.

mickEblu

I would imagine people who have been raped or assaulted would consider that to be "a real problem." Again, you have a really weird take on consent.

OMG. So you don’t think responses like these are part of the “cancel culture” problem. What does rape have to do with the Snow White movie ending or the ride? Go find a Hobby guys.

yensidtlaw1969

It's because Faux News picked up the "story" and decided to use it.
That's what I was referring to when I talked about news outlets blowing it up into a National Story.

Doing that is irresponsible reporting, and all the people in the comments sections across Social Media reacting to the inflammatory headlines without reading the actual article are also being irresponsible.

Those things combined made national news out of a nothing-burger.

Last edited:

mickEblu

That is not what you were responding to and dismissing. You’re so busy overreacting you don’t realize the horrible nonsense you are saying.

I said “ok I don’t care” as in I’m not here to be lectured about consent or how it may apply to the Snow White ride or ending of the movie. Snow White is the wrong platform to teach this lesson. People need to find something else.

Supreme Leader

That's what I was referring to when I talked about news outlets blowing it up into a National Story.

Doing that is irresponsible reporting, and all the people in the comments sections across Social Media reacting to the inflammitory headlines without reading the actual article are also being irresponsible.

Those things combined made national news out of a nothing-burger.
Are you really surprised by Fox "News" falsely reporting or just being irresponsible with their reporting?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

As an academic study, the SFGate article did actually take a balanced/nuanced look at this issue (even if in truth I disagree here as Snow White was presumed to be dead by the dwarfs and the prince, and this trope is not a case of “rape”). But simply analyzing things from an academic perspective should not, nor need not lead to calls for vast cancellation.

As in most cases, the broader problem is one of our own media pulling things out of context or over-representing the opinions of niche segments that, while relevant, fall frankly “outside the Overton window” for clickbait headlines and/or sound bites.

Now it literally sounds like the towns folks are coming with pitchforks for the prince, how the tables have turned for the protagonist. 😂

DanielBB8

But literally the impetus for all the "outrage" here in reference to Enchanted Wish was one person reviewing the ride saying "I didn't think they'd add that scene, but they did". Now news outlets have blown up a regional review into a national story about "Cancel Culture", when light reading will prove that's not actually what's happening here at all.

It's cancel culture laid bare. You didn't even post the offending text.

"The new ride includes a more comprehensive storyline — but that's also the problem. The new grand finale of Snow White's Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen's spell and gives her "true love's kiss" to release her from the enchantment. A kiss he gives to her without her consent, while she's asleep, which cannot possibly be true love if only one person knows it's happening.

Haven't we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn't been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK? It's hard to understand why the Disneyland of 2021 would choose to add a scene with such old fashioned ideas of what a man is allowed to do to a woman, especially given the company's current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Why not re-imagine an ending in keeping with the spirit of the movie and Snow White's place in the Disney canon, but that avoids this problem?"

First, Disney has made the story quite clear and it isn't her interpretation of Snow White, which had a makeover from the original storyline. The Prince is her true love and she didn't know if he felt the same. So this is confirmation of true love.

Second, the kiss was not romantic. He possibly had another intent and it was inadvertent. It worked. Are we to punish the positive outcome because of intent. The author didn't even consider what the Prince did was so bad. Snow White was supposed to be dead and the dead don't give consent.

Third, most revealing is cancel culture is alive and well and the author acknowledges that Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain are next on the list. Splash Mountain will be cancelled. It will turn into something else entirely. Jungle Cruise will likewise be something else and only retain it's original name.

Beware of what you ask for.

MagicWDI

I hate to break this to you but she fake.
shocked-surprised.gif

mickEblu

@lazyboy97o i assume by “bizarre” you are referring to my post yesterday where I said .... “I guess consent needs to be day of?” If I kiss my wife while she’s sleeping do I not have consent? Granted, Snow White and the Prince are not married but something tells me she’s ok with the kiss. And that something is the fact that she rides off with him into the Sunset. She didn’t punch him in the face. And even if she had an issue with it I’m guessing she’d forgive him since ya know, it saved her life.

Castle Cake Apologist

I said “ok I don’t care” as in I’m not here to be lectured about consent or how it may apply to the Snow White ride or ending of the movie. Snow White is the wrong platform to teach this lesson. People need to find something else.

I was literally responding to a question you posed about if consent has to be "day of," which seems like such a weird thing to be confused about, because of course it does. Even consent from this morning doesn't necessarily apply to this afternoon. Even from a legal standpoint.

Nobody has called for the closure of the ride or the removal of the scene. That's a straw man you set up instead of bothering to have an actual productive dialogue. Not even the article that you're so upset about suggested that. In fact, it praises the staging of the scene.

The problem is that several people in this thread (not just you) expressed the thought that it's okay to make a move if the other party at some point expressed love/interest for you, which is ridiculously untrue. I was just wanting to clear that up, because it seems like a dangerous misconception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom