News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Miru

RIP Bats on Strings, a nearly extinct species at DL

View attachment 553252

Removed from HM, now Snow White, barely visible on Thunder Mt when their light bulbs are burned out. Enjoy your TV screens.
Probably because of COVID.

Anyways, Disney should stop angering gnashers if they want to get a better reputation. Snow White sadly joins Tom Sawyer Island and the Submarine Voyage as “rides that have basically nothing in common with the originals”.

mharrington

I'm kind of hoping that the upcoming remake of "Pinocchio" will somehow allow the ride to remain in Disneyland for a while to come because then the original movie would become relevant again (as if it has lost any relevance to begin with). If they did some upgrades to the ride as they did with the others, that would be one thing, but I don't want it to be removed. It would be nice if they actually showed Pinocchio as a real boy at the end instead of just a puppet.

I'm no fan of live-action remakes (I've seen "Alice In Wonderland" (and "Alice Through the Looking Glass"), "Cinderella", "The Jungle Book" and "Dumbo", but stoutly avoided "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin" and "The Lion King"), but if it allows the Pinocchio ride to remain in place, then that counts for something.

Frankly, I think it would be a lot cheaper to upgrade what's there now than it is to replace it completely.

Last edited:

G.L.A.D.I.O

As far as the Pinnochio dark ride is concerned, I could see them replacing the scene of the destroyed pleasure island by the underwater sequence, thus keeping Monstro and gaining in cool effects...

lf.jpeg
4394e20c-db6f-4fcf-827f-2d125094b8d0_screenshot.jpg
disney_movies_weird__07.jpg
pinocchio-underwater.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

As far as the Pinnochio dark ride is concerned, I could see them replacing the scene of the destroyed pleasure island by the underwater sequence, thus keeping Monstro and gaining in cool effects...

View attachment 553685View attachment 553684View attachment 553683View attachment 553682

Oh THAT might be interesting! There's definitely some beautiful stuff on the bottom of the ocean you could bring into the ride.

The thing that I think is most likely to be true is that a redo of Pinocchio would (and, truthfully, maybe should?) lean into giving us a great, big "When You Wish Upon A Star" moment. It's the unofficial anthem of Disneyland, and really the official anthem of Disney, it would make sense to give us a really big "WOW" with it at the center.

No doubt Cynthia Erivo is attached to the remake as the Blue Fairy in part so she can give us a big, beautiful rendition of it. I can't imagine Disney wouldn't double down on the use of the Original Recording of the song in the ride. You really only hear it in the ride as an instrumental while you wind through the little village before entering Geppetto's cottage.

If Snow's new finale is any indication, we'd be getting a big, sweeping, sparkling "When You Wish Upon A Star" Finale. That's probably the shortest distance between the current Pinocchio's Daring Journey and making it over into a quintessential Disneyland experience - to ensconce that song in a spectacular, unmissable showscene that captures the full spirit of the park within it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Oh THAT might be interesting! There's definitely some beautiful stuff on the bottom of the ocean you could bring into the ride.

The thing that I think is most likely to be true is that a redo of Pinocchio would (and, truthfully, maybe should?) lean into giving us a great, big "When You Wish Upon A Star" moment. It's the unofficial anthem of Disneyland, and really the official anthem of Disney, it would make sense to give us a really big "WOW" with it at the center.

No doubt Cynthia Erivo is attached to the remake as the Blue Fairy in part so she can give us a big, beautiful rendition of it. I can't imagine Disney wouldn't double down on the song in the ride. You really only hear it in the ride as an instrumental while you wind through the little village before entering Geppetto's cottage.

If Snow's new finale is any indication, we'd be getting a big, sweeping, sparkling "When You Wish Upon A Star" Finale. That's probably the shortest distance between the current Pinocchio's Daring Journey and making it over into a quintessential Disneyland experience - to ensconce that song in a spectacular, unmissable showscene that captures the full spirit of the park within it.

SMH. It better be Jiminy Cricket/ Cliff Edwards singing if they redo anything. Let’s replace all the Pinocchio’s with Roberto Benigni’s Pinocchio while we’re at it.

yensidtlaw1969

SMH. It better be Jiminy Cricket/ Cliff Edwards singing if they redo anything.
I wasn't suggesting they'd include Cynthia Erivo in the ride, just that they're sure to want to push the song in the wake of the Remake, and would no doubt want to make a bigger deal out of the original song within the ride since it currently doesn't really feature.

None of the other Fantasyland Dark Ride reworks have included anything from Live Action Remakes, I doubt they would start with Pinocchio. But if a new version of "When You Wish Upon A Star" starts getting radio play I bet we can count on them highlighting the original recording in any redo of the ride.

CaptinEO

No doubt Cynthia Erivo is attached to the remake as the Blue Fairy in part so she can give us a big, beautiful rendition of it. I can't imagine Disney wouldn't double down on the song in the ride. You really only hear it in the ride as an instrumental while you wind through the little village before entering Geppetto's cottage.

I'm really against the live action remakes being represented in the parks. Luckily it seems Disney agrees with this.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm really against the live action remakes being represented in the parks. Luckily it seems Disney agrees with this.
^Check my post above yours, I wasn't suggesting they add the NEW recording of the song to the ride. Just that right now they barely even use the Original recording, and that if a new version of the song hits the charts again they're sure to leverage that by making the Original recording a bigger part of the ride.

mickEblu

View attachment 553685View attachment 553684View attachment 553683View attachment 553682

Yup. That’s where I’ve always envisioned an under water scene going just to get that beautiful music in the ride alone. It would be much more visually interesting than what’s there now and still provide a sense of danger/ adventure/ mystery without being boring and depressing. I’m guessing the only reason Baxter didn’t include it is because if the fact it’s “under water” but we can suspend disbelief a little more. No different than going through an elephant size bird cage.

Disney Analyst

Dumb question alert.

I’ve watched several videos now - has the Evil Queen / Hag always rotated through different phrases?

I’ve noticed the queen seems to say different things when staring through the window into the cottage, and now noticed the queen saying a second phrase at the cauldron.

DavidDL

One of the only small gripes I have with this update is the speed of vehicle on approach to the Evil Queen transformation scene.

I think the 25% slow down works for the rest of the ride but for this scene in particular it feels like the approach is a little bit long and drawn out. But maybe that’s just the way I’m viewing it through YouTube videos. Maybe in person it’s fine. I’m excited to see for myself this June.

Californian Elitist

One of the only small gripes I have with this update is the speed of vehicle on approach to the Evil Queen transformation scene.

I think the 25% slow down works for the rest of the ride but for this scene in particular it feels like the approach is a little bit long and drawn out. But maybe that’s just the way I’m viewing it through YouTube videos. Maybe in person it’s fine. I’m excited to see for myself this June.
I thought the same. When I watched the video, it felt like I was waiting forever for the dialogue to start.

I agree that it may be different in person.

Animaniac93-98

Dumb question alert.

I’ve watched several videos now - has the Evil Queen / Hag always rotated through different phrases?

I’ve noticed the queen seems to say different things when staring through the window into the cottage, and now noticed the queen saying a second phrase at the cauldron.

Queen at window does say different things, as does the Witch at the cauldron.

It's a nice touch, gives the ride more replay value.

mharrington

I wasn't suggesting they'd include Cynthia Erivo in the ride, just that they're sure to want to push the song in the wake of the Remake, and would no doubt want to make a bigger deal out of the original song within the ride since it currently doesn't really feature.

None of the other Fantasyland Dark Ride reworks have included anything from Live Action Remakes, I doubt they would start with Pinocchio. But if a new version of "When You Wish Upon A Star" starts getting radio play I bet we can count on them highlighting the original recording in any redo of the ride.
Actually, the ride does feature the song, albeit briefly, towards the end as you leave the Monstro scene and return to the village, just before entering Geppetto's workshop.

yensidtlaw1969

Actually, the ride does feature the song, albeit briefly, towards the end as you leave the Monstro scene and return to the village, just before entering Geppetto's workshop.
Yes I mentioned that in my first post - but it's only an instrumental, you don't even hear the words to the song, which is why I said it doesn't *really* feature. You get about 9 seconds of instrumental while riding through the little village on the way to Geppetto's, and before you know it it's over.

I think a redo of Pinocchio might do well to give us the full version of the song that Jiminy Cricket kicks off and ends with the big Choral vocals. Give the song a real, permanent place of honor at Disneyland, more than just as ambient background music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom