• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

choco choco

Good quality ride through!

a) So they did get rid of the scary forest part. But it's actually ok? The witch's basement parts still hold the scariness. The all-important queen-hag transformation is still there (so at least they didn't go the Fantasmic route).

b) It doesn't seem like they slowed down the ride, but looking at the ride time it seems true. The ride was probably too fast before.

c) I think there is a better conception of the Snow White mirror scene. Probably an animatronic of her arm falling to the floor and the apple rolling away (basically like what was in the movie). Implication is often more menacing.

d) The scenes at the end are terrific. Makes good use of small spaces. Intimacy is often the key to immersiveness, Disney. And no millions in newfangled gobbledygook will ever change that.

e) For the umpteenth time, why can't Disney make rides like this anymore? Everything now is either a blockbuster mega-E or spinners. But I've always considered these 4 seater dark rides the heart of all the castle parks. I'd take another one of these over any new "land."

DanielBB8

2+ minutes of the ride is the same. Less than 1 minute of new content and it seems to go by fast. You have to ride it again to take it in. Sure, the haunted forest is gone, but it's still a bit scary for kids. Snow White was still lured by the ugly witch-queen with the poison apple. These scary elements remained intact. I wished they removed more of the witch and had more of the prince since he's her Enchanted Wish.

Web Slingerz #1 Fan

Snow White preshow full transcript:

Doc: "Recruits! The evil Queen has escaped to her castle. We need you to hunt her down. Remember remain seated and no eating, drinking, smoking-"

Sneezy: "ACHOOO"

Doc: "Or sneezing... Now listen recruits, we need your help, you will enter through the forest and journey into the cellar of her Castle. Locate the Queen, capture her, and bring her to us! Recruits, you are our only hope!"

Grumpy: "And don't mess up!"

disneyC97

I'm impressed with this update. Looks like a lot of care went into it. Sure they toned down some of the scarier elements, but overall it still provides enough of the darker tones to get the point across. The projection mapping additions are also a great plussing of the attraction, including the queen/witch on the cliff.

Overall I say this along with the other FL plussings shows that TDA still cares about DL and its classic attractions.
This x100!

George Lucas on a Bench

I was okay with the changes until the random projection of her eating the apple. From there on, its all downhill. We lose the tone of the ride, the through line and instead just jump to different moments. It feels so jumbled and book reporty rather than a journey.

Reminds me of how they rapidly advanced the "story" in the Mermaid Ride with some screens showing things happening.

britain

Ok, so in a nutshell, bubbly science equipment has replaced skeletons, and the number of giant books/mirrors used as storytelling devices has doubled. All in all, looks fine.

Sharon&Susan

2+ minutes of the ride is the same. Less than 1 minute of new content and it seems to go by fast. You have to ride it again to take it in. Sure, the haunted forest is gone, but it's still a bit scary for kids. Snow White was still lured by the ugly witch-queen with the poison apple. These scary elements remained intact. I wished they removed more of the witch and had more of the prince since he's her Enchanted Wish.
Don't need to fix what isn't broken... no need to completely rework those 2 minutes just to make it "new"

Animaniac93-98

It's fine until the last 1/3 of the ride. The climax is a badly done as Little Mermaid.

Once again WDI struggles with understanding that rides are not movies and trying to cram plot points into dark corners with bad staging doesn't work. Ideally they would have scrapped the whole cliff and apple eating bits, and instead have the Dwarfs running the Witch out of the spooky woods with the Prince waiting at the end, still having the forest transforming as it does into beautiful bloom. Would have worked as a smoother transition.

Makes you appreciate even more what was done in Florida in 1994. Despite having worse effects and animations, it did a much better job of telling the story clearly with decent pacing compared to this Enchanted Wish version. Also like Florida post-1994, I suspect parents will still complain this ride is too scary. Especially with all the marketing emphasizing how magical and cuddly it is now, ignoring that the Witch is still there.

Zorro 2.0

First impressions upon seeing a youtube ride through: some parts good, and other parts not so good.

The good: I'm glad that Irvine and Co. didn't completely neuter and bowdlerize the attraction. The evil queen is still given a fair amount of attention, and there are still scary elements. The lighting is good, and the figures mostly look great. Some good effects in the evil queen's lair. I'm grateful that the peek-a-boo evil queen is still present outside.

The not so good: Whereas the previous iteration had a rushed ending, this update feels rushed period. The first portion which is largely the same as we have known since the early 1980s is fine. However, once we get into the significant alterations (largely starting with Snow White biting into the apple), everything sort of falls apart. At that point, the attraction feels disjointed and cramped. I think the problem is that Irvine and Co. tried cramming in too much narrative into too small a space, and it doesn't seem to work. This type of attraction is not well situated to convey narrative. It's far better suited to trying convey experience, feelings, and setting. The previous version conveyed all that well - we got the joyful peacefulness of the dwarfs' cottage, the creepiness of the queen's lair, the hysterical rush through the woods, etc. Plus, there was plenty of time to convey all of that. With this new version, the latter portion's emphasis on trying to hit the major points of the narrative largely misses out on the experiential and feeling aspects. If they could have simply figured out a way to put one last, fully developed scene at the end showing Snow White together with the prince (perhaps with them waving at the dwarfs or something similar), the previous version would have been nearly perfect. What they did here simply compromises the overall attraction. It isn't necessarily bad, but it pushes it closer to the DCA Little Mermaid attraction in quality.
Another gripe: the character projections. I like effects projections but no so much with characters because they don't feel cohesive with the mostly static physical figures. Without the projections, you don't tend to notice the how static the figures are, but that characteristic sort of stands out when you see the fully animated projections at the same time. You're just introducing unforced disparities.
One further gripe: I want the queen's dungeon back in the queue. Turning it into a medieval teenage girl's room seems weird to me.

Of course, this is all based upon viewing one ride through. I'll take a look at a few more during the evening, and I also realize that my opinions could change when I have the chance to experience the attraction in person.

Animaniac93-98

If they could have simply figured out a way to put one last, fully developed scene at the end showing Snow White together with the prince (perhaps with them waving at the dwarfs or something similar), the previous version would have been nearly perfect.

Which is what they did in Paris, along with some minor effects tweaks here and there. Still holds up 30 years later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom