News Disneyland to Electrify Autopia: Are Tomorrowland Speedway's gas cars next?

Jambo Dad

Although not something my family needs anymore- the car ride is beloved among the younger set. I suggest keeping it but lean a little more into the future for the electric re-theme. After all - we are in Tommorowland. As was just posted - there are so many great Disney possibilities for this - besides Tron you could be touring San Fransokyo, or call it Cars 2100, or lean into retro futurism, etc. Something positive and not bleak.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Interesting to announce as a confirmation to LA Times instead of just waiting a few weeks to announce in own message as part of Earth Day.

doctornick

So, does any insider know if plans apply to MK as well (seems likely based on the context of "why" they are making the change at DL, but who knows). And, if they do change to electric at MK, will they also use the opportunity to make the roadway "Tron-ified" as some previous concept art suggested was on the table at one point?

Sir_Cliff

I agree with you for MK, but definitely not at Disneyland. It's a hidden gem.

Disneyland Paris' is great too.

Yes, something nice about those versions is that they take you on a little journey out of the hustle and bustle of the park to a slightly more serene setting among the trees. MK's is just a slow progression along a giant expanse of concrete surrounded by other riders as you wind through some lawns and the odd tree here and there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Light Racer" once on the path to being greenlit at MK, but got cut....

1712094130065.png

Disstevefan1

Before summer 2028. That's the sphere DLR lives in currently. With a slight eye towards the 75th.
So for now, we will say December 2027...
"Light Racer" once on the path to being greenlit at MK, but got cut....

View attachment 776650
This is really cool but we all must remember, Disney wants to spend as little as possible on attractions at WDW.

DVCs on the other hand, money is no object ;)

AndyS2992

Hong Kong DL opened with an electric version years ago, that was later removed to make space for IASW...I would have thought they would send the cars over to WDW back then...but it never happened sadly. WDW has the smallest track of the iterations, and the least amount of charm and design. They really need to reimagine the WDW version from the ground up...with the electric vehicles, an expanded track, with scenic and show elements... Make it feel like Disney and not International Drive. Make it feel like Tomorrowland not some strange area between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.View attachment 776548View attachment 776551
Indeed, though it was to make way for an Avengers attraction. It's a Small World is no where near where Autopia was.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
For WDW, the return would need to be substantial to warrant even a minor retheme. For nominal effort, WDI could easily change the shell of the car, sub in natural gas motors (Honda lawnmowers anyone?) that are quieter and produce little smell, and add TRON-inspired props and signage along the route. To maximize the investment however they'd really need to focus on capacity increases... which I don't see happening.

Don't suppose there's any way to add track length within the same footprint? For a bit of armchair, always thought this attraction could benefit from a tunnel. I suspect anything done here will be bare minimum.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I’d rather they get the axe permanently. Valuable space being wasted.
I would agree if I thought they would replace it with something and not take 5 to 7 years to do it!!
At this point my total lack of trust makes me think leave well enough alone at least we have an attraction there.

But I know they will do what they will do and take too long to do it and we will be staring at walls with one less attraction in MK for 5 to 7 years someday. 😡

Brer Oswald

I would agree if I thought they would replace it with something and not take 5 to 7 years to do it!!
At this point my total lack of trust makes me think leave well enough alone at least we have an attraction there.

But I know they will do what they will do and take too long to do it and we will be staring at walls with one less attraction in MK for 5 to 7 years someday. 😡
The issue is, if they just replace the system to make the cars electric, we will still be staring at work walls for upwards of a year.

build_it

Glad to hear this. The DL version is already far superior to the MK version. Making it electric will only make it even better.
W
I wonder if they will have audio engine noises or if they will add some other form of extra audio.
The MK version would benefit from a relocation. The current location is so small and unexciting, moving it to DHS or AK could be a real improvement. Maybe and electric jeep version Jungle Cruise meets Autotopia…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom