News Disneyland ticket prices go up as much as 8%, with parking rising 20%

DavidDL

Live and learn what? How to predict the future? This increase was unannounced until it happened, no?

Correct. But they've raised prices pretty much every year except when they were closed. Part of me was foolishly thinking we'd be a long way off from the next one since so much is still unavailable and their other issues. I've just gotta learn to stop being hopeful with them. Exacerbated further by a ticket mistake I made today with purchasing and their lack of willingness to help correct it.

Vegas Disney Fan

…yet another brilliant display of self control by the consumer
The benefits of a monopoly.

Universal has narrowed the gap (in Florida) but in California Disney is the only A list theme park. They can charge nearly whatever they want and theme park fans will pay it.

I think their big risk is placing themselves into competition with travel, when a weekend at DL costs as much as a weekend in Hawaii they may finally reach a breaking point.

el_super

They don't need price hikes to reduce crowds. They have full control over the reservation system. All they need to do is offer less reservations.

But what control do they have to reduce the demand on reservations other than price hikes?

If I read correctly, they did not change the price of the lowest tier (least busy) day tickets. If you end up in a scenario where reservations for the weekends are going too fast, and reservations are not filling up on the weekdays, then the weekend tickets need to be adjusted up in price.

We all know it's true that people have no issue skipping work/school to go to Disneyland, but it is weird to see Disneyland actively encouraging it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Correct. But they've raised prices pretty much every year except when they were closed. Part of me was foolishly thinking we'd be a long way off from the next one since so much is still unavailable and their other issues. I've just gotta learn to stop being hopeful with them. Exacerbated further by a ticket mistake I made today with purchasing and their lack of willingness to help correct it.
Yeah, most of the increases over the past decade have been in the early part of the year, and since the last increase was just before the park closed for a year logic would dictate that there would have been more time before the next increase. Disney isn't logical anymore, though.

What's crazy is they decided to increase prices just weeks before starting Genie+ and charging even more for premium access to attractions.

el_super

I think their big risk is placing themselves into competition with travel, when a weekend at DL costs as much as a weekend in Hawaii they may finally reach a breaking point.

Depends on what their end-goal here is. If they want more tourists, and want to push out the locals, they could get more revenue from fewer guests. They seem determined to break free from the idea that Disneyland is just weekend entertainment for the locals.

Sailor310

It seems like we usually get some warning about price increases. This seemed to come out of nowhere.
In past AP times, I'd try to decide if I wanted to drive to the park on some random day and the twenty five dollar parking fee was often enough to deter me. Now it's 30!

Vegas Disney Fan

Depends on what their end-goal here is. If they want more tourists, and want to push out the locals, they could get more revenue from fewer guests. They seem determined to break free from the idea that Disneyland is just weekend entertainment for the locals.

I’d think the tourists would be the first people they price out, if I’m paying for flights and a hotel whether in DL or Hawaii I’m choosing Hawaii (or WDW). The only people they’ll have left are key holders and locals that don’t have the added expenses of travel.

Had they raised the Key prices I’d agree but the fact they raised day tickets will hit tourists more than locals.

el_super

Had they raised the Key prices I’d agree but the fact they raised day tickets will hit tourists more than locals.

Yeah but in context, they are also limiting the sales of the Magic Keys and keeping them in check thru reservations. The day passes weren't all increased at the same level either. So if you have the ability to take the weekdays off for your trip, you will pay less to go to Disneyland.

To me that suggest discouraging spur-of-the-moment weekend trips in favor of more planned-in-advanced weekday trips. That's what will discourage locals from visiting more frequently.

Stevek

But what control do they have to reduce the demand on reservations other than price hikes?

If I read correctly, they did not change the price of the lowest tier (least busy) day tickets. If you end up in a scenario where reservations for the weekends are going too fast, and reservations are not filling up on the weekdays, then the weekend tickets need to be adjusted up in price.

We all know it's true that people have no issue skipping work/school to go to Disneyland, but it is weird to see Disneyland actively encouraging it.
I guess you just don't worry about the demand on reservations and realize that no matter what you do, you'll have angry customers.

That being said, them raising prices isn't anything new and will just push people closer to their own breaking points.

There really is no winning proposition here for Disney

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The benefits of a monopoly.

Universal has narrowed the gap (in Florida) but in California Disney is the only A list theme park. They can charge nearly whatever they want and theme park fans will pay it.

I can only say that past management had at least some sense of not pushing the limits all the way off the edge. Large revenues/returns….but measured.

once they exceed the point your talking about…it will be very difficult to get back up onto the ledge and could be catastrophic for the management.

leisure doesn’t have an unlimited price ceiling…and everyone isn’t going to be rich

denyuntilcaught

IMO one of the worst parts of this is the 40% increase from $25 to $35 for hotel guest parking. The Disney-owned hotels are already insanely expensive…. Crazy to me that parking there is now even more expensive than parking at M&F.
Completely agree. The ticket prices I'm a bit more meh about, but the parking is absolutely outrageous. Those who are saying "just park offsite" are kind of missing the point.

el_super

I guess you just don't worry about the demand on reservations and realize that no matter what you do, you'll have angry customers.

That's true. For Disney though the benefit is a little extra revenue from the person willing to pay more for that specific day.

And maybe the disappointment stings a little less, if the person is making the decision it's too expensive to go, rather than Disney telling them there are no reservations available?

once they exceed the point your talking about…it will be very difficult to get back up onto the ledge and could be catastrophic for the management.

Yeah but as others have said, people keep insisting they are falling off the ledge every year, and we all end up back here the next year complaining that the prices are out of control. So what's different about falling off THIS ledge this time?

DrAlice

Winner winner, chicken dinner! You, my friend, understand it.

Yeah but as others have said, people keep insisting they are falling off the ledge every year, and we all end up back here the next year complaining that the prices are out of control. So what's different about falling off THIS ledge this time?
We are not going next summer. For me, this ledge IS different.

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow world out there to explore.

DavidDL

We are not going next summer. For me, this ledge IS different.

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow world out there to explore.

Two nights for two people on WDW's Star Wars "cruise": $5,000 (includes two tickets to Hollywood Studios and blue shrimp)
The week-long trip to Maui I just took with my Wife in August: $2,500 (included airfare, rental car and hotel on Ka'anapali Beach for two people)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom