Disneyland sold out for the rest of December - OCR/SCNG

ArmoredRodent

I used to live up in that area in the 80s and 90s, Donner Summit and I80 and other routes into Tahoe used to close all the time during the winter. The cabins may family used to own up there would get snowed in all the time. It was only the last decade or two where it didn't close normally due to milder winters.
Ah, fond memories of having to dig UP from the front door to get out of our Alpine Meadows cabin. And the snow being so heavy against the windows that the windows would break IN. Oh, and the snowplow drivers charging a Chapek-level fortune.

TP2000

I know some think that the LA region is indicative of California weather. But this weather is only slightly above normal for this time of year in other parts of the state.

Huh? Did you start your NYE champagne toasts a few days early this year? 🍸 🥳

This December is going into the history books as one of the wettest on human record for California from Sacramento to San Diego. Statewide snowpacks are already at 53% of their April 1st normal, and for late December they are 158% of normal for the date for the entire state. Rainfall for the major cities is from 230% to 115% of normal for the date, setting records from Sacramento to San Diego.

Here's a screenshot of the precipitation status for the entire state as of December 28th. Rainfall at 231% of normal for Sacramento, 175% of normal for San Francisco, 153% of normal for Fresno, 188% of normal for Paso Robles, 139% of normal for LA, 112% of normal for San Diego.

hydro.png

Last edited:

TP2000

It's not just the rain in the valleys and big cities along the coast, it's record amounts of snow up in the mountains. The Norther and Central Sierras are the most above average, and are either setting new records for late December or are in second place in the record books. The state tracks the water content in the winter snow headed towards all the big dams in the spring melt. It's at a new record, or second place in the Norther, Central and Southern Sierra zones, using 99 tracking points maintained by the State of California.

Here are the current graphs as of first thing Wednesday morning, before today's rain in central and southern California.

Northern Sierra setting a new all-time record, edging out December, 2016 and the famous El Nino year of December, 1982 to make it the wettest on record up North from Mount Shasta down to Tahoe.

North.png

Central Sierra's currently in second place, behind December, 1982 but edging past December, 2016 as the second wettest December on record for Hetch Hetchy, Yosemite, etc.

Central.png

And the Southern Sierras also coming in second, just edging out December, 1968 and just behind December, 1982 as the second-wettest December on record for the Mammoth Mountain ski resorts and recreation areas.

South.png

We will of course continue to monitor this official data, as there are still three full days of rainfall left to count this month at all 99 of these official stations up and down the state. But suffice it to say... it's been a record-setting wet (and rather cold!) December for the entire state of California. It's not just an LA thing. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh? Did you start your NYE champagne toasts a few days early this year? 🍸 🥳

This December is going into the history books as one of the wettest on human record for California from Sacramento to San Diego. Statewide snowpacks are already at 53% of their April 1st normal, and for late December they are 158% of normal for the date for the entire state. Rainfall for the major cities is from 230% to 115% of normal for the date, setting records from Sacramento to San Diego.

Here's a screenshot of the precipitation status for the entire state as of December 28th. Rainfall at 231% of normal for Sacramento, 175% of normal for San Francisco, 153% of normal for Fresno, 188% of normal for Paso Robles, 139% of normal for LA, 112% of normal for San Diego.

View attachment 610564

You were missing my point my friend. What I was trying to get across was that rain in most parts of the state during this time is 100% normal. For example 1983 continues to be the wettest in the Bay Area region for December, that won't change in the next 2 days.

Yes we're above normal average rain totals, and in some places very above normal, for a December across most of the state. But when the season ends in February/March, California will still likely be below normal for season totals as it has been the last 2 decades.

The real question is will this December rainfall refill most of the state's reservoirs back up to capacity, no it won't. We would need years and years of this before that occurs.

So while its good we're getting this rain, and heavy snow pack. It won't make much of a dent in the water issues California has right now.

smooch

At least they can still move around in SoCal.

Up in Northern California the Sierra's have gotten over 15 feet of snow in the past few weeks and now there's thousands of tourists stranded at Lake Tahoe; all roads and highways leading into Lake Tahoe are closed due to ten feet or more of snow and/or avalanches covering the highways. o_O

This is going down as one of the wettest December's on record for California.
I had been waiting to go up to Tahoe to stay at my cabin and snowboard but there just hasn't been much snow until this massive storm and now that there's snow there's too much and I can't get up. I am hoping to go up next weekend it looks it should be a little snowy but I'm wary of going and getting snowed in. Would've loved to go up this clear weekend but I do NOT want to get stuck in traffic for hours driving up on NYE.

Here near Sacramento it has been very wet this season, a lot of continuous rainy days, I remember a month or two ago it straight up flooded here, I had to drive in that weather and was losing traction when going over huge pools of water, saw a few people spin out going around turns. And I also have noticed it's been foggy so much more than usual, I only remember fog occasionally in the mornings here but this year it feels like a few times a week it's foggy in the morning but more commonly it's foggy in the evening where I live. Definitely been a very weird time weather wise.

DLR92

You were missing my point my friend. What I was trying to get across was that rain in most parts of the state during this time is 100% normal. For example 1983 continues to be the wettest in the Bay Area region for December, that won't change in the next 2 days.

Yes we're above normal average rain totals, and in some places very above normal, for a December across most of the state. But when the season ends in February/March, California will still likely be below normal for season totals as it has been the last 2 decades.

The real question is will this December rainfall refill most of the state's reservoirs back up to capacity, no it won't. We would need years and years of this before that occurs.

So while its good we're getting this rain, and heavy snow pack. It won't make much of a dent in the water issues California has right now.
Yes, the fact CA missed out on YEARS of prior low rainfalls or non existent storms.

Light winds still can easily gust up sand from the extremely dry soil. Before the first drought, I never seen how soil can be gust up like that. I’m so glad we are experiencing this rare above normal rain and snow. Anything will help for the time being.

Mac Tonight

It's probably better than Florida too given the lack of humidity here.

...in any case I couldn't be bothered to go so I canceled my reservation. 😂
It never actually ceases to amaze me how much business WDW gets despite their consistent wet weather. But, if you can scroe a trip during the dry times, you're golden.

waltography

Plenty of reservations available tonight still for both parks, and wait times right now show an average busy day (Rise has a 120 minute wait, followed by Space at 90, but everything else is about half an hour or less) - wondering if a fear of overcrowding coupled with omicron has kept people away this evening, or maybe this is a holdover effect from the rainy week we've had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom