Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

BrianLo

So if this rumor is true, the configuration of Marvel Land (I think I’m calling it Heroville) is becoming more and more odd. We would have Guardians in the Tower, M&Gs at Disney Jr. (which is right next to Carthay), the Marvel hyper-coaster in the south lot behind the Tower, and a Marvel street party north of the Tower in the back lot. And presumably the Hyperion at the end of the street and the Red Car running through it. Weird.

The party and M&G sound 'temporary'. Multi-year temporary akin to Star Wars in Tomorrowland.

I'm super curious what they are actually planning for the backlot now. Maybe that's where Mickey winds up.

Mike S

So if this rumor is true, the configuration of Marvel Land (I think I’m calling it Heroville) is becoming more and more odd. We would have Guardians in the Tower, M&Gs at Disney Jr. (which is right next to Carthay), the Marvel hyper-coaster in the south lot behind the Tower, and a Marvel street party north of the Tower in the back lot. And presumably the Hyperion at the end of the street and the Red Car running through it. Weird.
I think I'll go with just calling it a cluster....
Isn't it about time that Disney Jr. went away anyway? The place is too small for a ride unless you combine it with the animation building and put the Great Mickey Ride in there.
Wish it would go away in DHS for another new land over Animation Courtyard.

truecoat

On top of that, they mention that the north expansion plans into the bus drop off are still being worked on.

mickEblu

The party and M&G sound 'temporary'. Multi-year temporary akin to Star Wars in Tomorrowland.

I'm super curious what they are actually planning for the backlot now. Maybe that's where Mickey winds up.

I hope they re temporary. I don't really want Spider-Man hanging outside of Carthay. I would like for Buena Vista St / Hollywood theming to at least go up to the Hyperion. Backlot is fair game and so is behind TOT.

PiratesoftheHM

I hope they re temporary. I don't really want Spider-Man hanging outside of Carthay. I would like for Buena Vista St / Hollywood theming to at least go up to the Hyperion. Backlot is fair game and so is behind TOT.

Backlot and behind TOT can't be two separated Marvel Lands. It either has to be all of Hollywood Land (please noooo) or just behind TOT, which is my strong hope. Wouldn't it be nice if the backlot became our own version of the Chinese Theater with a Great Mickey Ride? There's certainly the space and timeline would line up for us to get it a year or two after DHS. They could even reroute the Trolley to turn left at the Hyperion and go by the new Mickey ride.

SSG

To paraphrase Honest Abe:

A theme park divided against itself cannot stand.
I believe this park cannot endure, permanently half Marvel and half Hollywood.
I do not expect Disney to be dissolved -- I do not expect California Adventure to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided.
It will become all one thing or all the other.

GrizzlyAdams

I hope they rip out all of Hollywood land, the street, the back lot, the Hypherion and Bug's Land. Redo all it. Some it as part old school Mickey, Oswald and crew with ATTRACTIONS (Mickey Ride, whatever) and then some as Marvel Land, not that I'm thrilled for the latter.

mickEblu

Backlot and behind TOT can't be two separated Marvel Lands. It either has to be all of Hollywood Land (please noooo) or just behind TOT, which is my strong hope. Wouldn't it be nice if the backlot became our own version of the Chinese Theater with a Great Mickey Ride? There's certainly the space and timeline would line up for us to get it a year or two after DHS. They could even reroute the Trolley to turn left at the Hyperion and go by the new Mickey ride.

I'm all for a Mickey ride in the backlot and I like your trolley idea. I was just mentioning what's important to me. With GOTGs location, the backlot, current bus area and expansion pad behind TOT rumors, it just sounds like it's going to be an awkward layout and with Hyperion in the middle and they might not be able to avoid that. But they can avoid having Spider-Man or any other super hero practically right when u enter the park on Buena Vista St.

I wouldn't be opposed to Marvel land starting from the GOTG area wrapping around the Hyperion and taking up the current bus loading area. That would preserve the backlot for the Mickey ride.

mickEblu

To paraphrase Honest Abe:

A theme park divided against itself cannot stand.
I believe this park cannot endure, permanently half Marvel and half Hollywood.
I do not expect Disney to be dissolved -- I do not expect California Adventure to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided.
It will become all one thing or all the other.

Lol.Yes it will be divided for sure. The question is where to draw the lines and divide the lands. If The Mickey ride is coming then I'm assuming that Hollywood land is staying in one form or another. Unless they just say he is part of Buena Vista St. My vote is for Buena Vista street to swallow Hollywood Blvd (keeping current attractions except for Disney Junior) Marvel Land can go from GOTG / expansion pad behind the Hyperion to the current bus load area.

EDIT: if the Mickey ride is coming then I think Hollywood land can stay how it currently is divided including the Hyperion, backlot, Hollywood Blvd. and excluding GOTG of course.

Last edited:

Jaison

Lol.Yes it will be divided for sure. The question is where to draw the lines and divide the lands. If The Mickey ride is coming then I'm assuming that Hollywood land is staying in one form or another. Unless they just say he is part of Buena Vista St. My vote is for Buena Vista street to swallow Hollywood Blvd (keeping current attractions except for Disney Junior) and the backlot for the Mickey ride. Marvel Land can go from GOTG / expansion pad behind the Hyperion to the current bus load area.

What if they remove A Bugs Land and use the Disney Jr building as an entrance to Marvel land. They could theme the entrance to match up with Buena Vista St. and be able to add the coaster and other Marvel attractions (M&Gs, Restaurants, etc.) where bugs land is and the parking lot south of TOT.

This would allow them to expand Buena Vista St. as you propose into the bus area with the Mickey ride and still make sense of the theme with the Hyperion Theater and Animation attractions. Assuming of course the trolley can be re-routed as well. Maybe the maintenance shed will move to the land north of the TOT location (bus loop area) so it doesnt go into Marvel land at all?

I have attached a very crude representation of what I am thinking could be possible and actually work. (Blue would be Marvel area where green is Buena Vista / Hollywood land).

Attachments

• DCA IDEA.png
    DCA IDEA.png
    1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Figments Friend

That movie and Dreamscape where the reasons for the creation of PG-13 rating. Before that you could swear and show as many ******* as you wanted in a PG movie but just pull one little heart out of someone and everyone yells for a stronger rating.

http://www.businessinsider.com/indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom-created-pg-13-rating-2014-4

Don't forget the original 'Gremlins' film in 1984...
The creatures being shown being ground up by blenders and nuked in microwaves had parents' panties all in a knot.
I remember it well...a favorite movie of mine, but I certainly remember the 'shock' a lot of parents had at the time for the 'graphic scenes'.

-

Figments Friend

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Temple of Doom best. Sure, it's stupid, it makes no sense... but it's so much FUN. And I actually love how annoying Willie is, and how Short Round yells all his lines. In the end, it just works somehow, and to me represents the spirit of "Indiana Jones" just as much as Raiders. Plus... Mine car chase. Temple wins.

The musical scoring by John Williams is also the best of the series too in 'Temple of Doom'.
I prefer 'Raiders' as a film, but love love LOVE how Williams scored 'Temple'.
Absolutely fantastic stuff.
:)

-

SSG

Excuse the extremely crude drawing, but I think the simplest way to have Marvel and Hollywood is get rid of the Hyperion, and build Marvel from the lot south of the Tower straight north through the back lot and into the new expansion area. (circled in red). Keep Hollywood from Animation north to Monsters and Stage 17 (circled in blue). Build a new Frozen theater somewhere in new Hollywood. Build some kind of separation between Guardian and Animation and keep the Red Car running. Obviously the lines can be adjusted based on what goes into each new area, but I think this could work.

Screenshot (15)_LI.jpg

mickEblu

I'm all for a Mickey ride in the backlot and I like your trolley idea. I was just mentioning what's important to me. With GOTGs location, the backlot, current bus area and expansion pad behind TOT rumors, it just sounds like it's going to be an awkward layout and with Hyperion in the middle and they might not be able to avoid that. But they can avoid having Spider-Man or any other super hero practically right when u enter the park on Buena Vista St.

I wouldn't be opposed to Marvel land starting from the GOTG area wrapping around the Hyperion and taking up the current bus loading area. That would preserve the backlot for the Mickey ride.
What if they remove A Bugs Land and use the Disney Jr building as an entrance to Marvel land. They could theme the entrance to match up with Buena Vista St. and be able to add the coaster and other Marvel attractions (M&Gs, Restaurants, etc.) where bugs land is and the parking lot south of TOT.

This would allow them to expand Buena Vista St. as you propose into the bus area with the Mickey ride and still make sense of the theme with the Hyperion Theater and Animation attractions. Assuming of course the trolley can be re-routed as well. Maybe the maintenance shed will move to the land north of the TOT location (bus loop area) so it doesnt go into Marvel land at all?

I have attached a very crude representation of what I am thinking could be possible and actually work. (Blue would be Marvel area where green is Buena Vista / Hollywood land).

Nice. I think this is a clever alternative. I just haven't heard of any rumors where Bugs land is going away in the near future. Personally, I was holding out hope that if Bugs land does go away, it would be for something original or another IP other than Marvel. I think the only reason Disney would go through the lengths of relocating the bus load area would be for an IP like Star Wars or Marvel. So between GOTG, expansion pad behind GOTG, and the current bus area, thats more than enough Marvel for me. I think the rides will be great, I'm just not sure Marvel Land (whatever that looks like, as there are numerous IPs, but I'll guess big city theming ) is somewhere I really want to hang out. I get enough of the big city living in So Cal.

mickEblu

Excuse the extremely crude drawing, but I think the simplest way to have Marvel and Hollywood is get rid of the Hyperion, and build Marvel from the lot south of the Tower straight north through the back lot and into the new expansion area. (circled in red). Keep Hollywood from Animation north to Monsters and Stage 17 (circled in blue). Build a new Frozen theater somewhere in new Hollywood. Build some kind of separation between Guardian and Animation and keep the Red Car running. Obviously the lines can be adjusted based on what goes into each new area, but I think this could work.

View attachment 183977

Hard for me to see them getting rid of the Hyperion but I like it. I've been kind of saying the same thing (excluding axing the Hyperion). But since you were so bold to say it... off with its head!!

BrianLo

I really don't think getting rid of the Hyperion makes sense, the two parts (if they are truly both Mavel) don't need that physical continuous link to be part of the whole. Unless you are getting ride of Hollywood completely, the Hyperion at the end of the street needs to belong to 'Hollywood'. Visually you turn left or right at the end of the street and that also would feel like a cohesive whole. A random Marvel attraction at the end of Hollywood Blvd would visually stand as odd. The same way ToT belongs to Sunset Blvd in DHS.

Now a refacing of Hyperion with something time appropriate to Hollywood and also 'belonging' to the world of Marvel would be the best of both worlds.

It can stay Frozen... Marvel musicals don't have a good track record.

mickEblu

View attachment 183977

On another note, I noticed you are also on Micechat. Is it just me, or have the conversations gotten very stale over there?

Suspirian

It seems as though the smaller marvel additions are just like little teasers to warm up towards whats to come (mini land, coaster, etc) which I'm fine with. I'm also happy to see the coaster has been moved back behind TOT which hopefully means that will be the marvel area rather than hollywood backlot.

D

Deleted member 107043

Given how iconic and popular it's productions have become, and the venue's uniqueness within the Disney theme park empire, I'm having a very hard time seeing Disney putting it on the chopping block.

As for odd theme land boundaries that's nothing new. Remember that before Bear Country was built Disneyland guests used to go from Frontierland through New Orleans Square and back to Frontierland again. There was also the whole mix up about the official location of The Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom