Disneyland Peeps, Help me plan my Aulani Trip :)

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Haha, I promise... I found driving around the island to be super chill as long as you weren't around downtown Honolulu. Yep, Google Maps should allow you to do exactly that.

The day I did the drive I went from Aulani to the 83 and hugged the NE part of the island, then cut thru the middle via 99/H2 (can hit Dole via this part), and back to Aulani. You're right on the coast a huge chunk of that drive -- it was really amazing. You'll go past all kinds of stuff along the way including the Polynesian Cultural Center which I wanted to do but time didn't permit. Still was able to stop and check out their market place and grab a snack, all for free, which was cool.

Doing the 93 would allow you to see the other side of the island.

We're not big soda drinkers, so didn't to the refillable mugs so I sadly can't speak to that. Sounds like others are telling you the VIP is worth it, I say go for it too if your wallet can take the hit! :)

We're not big soda drinkers either, but on vacation we tend to throw all our good habits out the window for a week. lol

Did you do the Rainbow Reef snorkeling at Aulani? Trying to decide if it's worth it to do the entire length of stay access or just one time access.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Sometimes I think I should teach a class at the local Junior College on how to live life.
Oh please do! I especially hope there is an online correspondence option that allows us lowly commoners to learn all that important information, even if we don't live in the local area

I imagine a sample syllabus including topics such as:
  • Mastering the art of the weeknight cocktail
  • Dress for success: Why your velvet dinner jacket will always outshine your date's potato sack ensemble
  • Hobnobbing with local power players
  • Multi-use outdoor spaces: Cultivating produce and viewing fireworks
  • Lending serving utensils, and the gossip you receive upon their return
  • Introduction to the Jet Set: How to vacation like a pro

dweezil78

We're not big soda drinkers either, but on vacation we tend to through all our good habits out the window for a week. lol

Did you do the Rainbow Reef snorkeling at Aulani? Trying to decide if it's worth it to do the entire length of stay access or just one time access.

Never got around to it... it looked fun, but it's basically a giant pool with fish in it. I would imagine it's a one n' done'r type thing unless you realllllllllly are into that. There is a little cave w/ a viewing window that lets you look in the tank which is cool (and free). :)

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I know nothing about Aulani but I hope you have a great time! It sounds incredible. I'm going to be in Kauaii this June so if that's when you're going, i'll wave to you from the island next door!

CraftyFox

While your on-island, be sure to check out the world’s largest maze at the Dole Plantation!

(P.S. The lobby of Aulani has some great nods to other Disney Parks and attractions.)

Curious Constance

Original Poster
While your on-island, be sure to check out the world’s largest maze at the Dole Plantation!

(P.S. The lobby of Aulani has some great nods to other Disney Parks and attractions.)

About how long should I expect to be in the maze? I'm worried we'll be stuck in there all day! lol

mickEblu

I’d love to help but I haven’t been to O’ahu since I was 12. However, went to Kauai for my Honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing so if you re in the market to island hop??

Would you mind if I piggy back off this thread and ask for some Maui tips??? I’m going in 6 weeks and would love to hear what our friends here have to say.

Curious Constance

Original Poster
I’d love to help but I haven’t been to O’ahu since I was 12. However, went to Kauai for my Honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing so if you re in the market to island hop??

Would you mind if I piggy back off this thread and ask for some Maui tips??? I’m going in 6 weeks and would love to hear what our friends here have to say.
I just got back, but don’t mind at all.

mickEblu

@mickEblu where are you going in Maui? Are you a relax on the beach person or a survive the road to Hana person?

A little of both. I definitely want to do the road to Hana and see the highlights like the black sand beach, that hidden pool in Nihiku, the bamboo trail, Hamoa beach, the 7 sacred pools. Then also any must see beaches in general and at least one epic hike. Here’s the problem... it’s me and my wife... with my mom (she should be fine for most activities), 79 year old grandma and 3 year old son. Should we do the road to Hana without my mom, grandma and son? Are any of the locations I mentioned above easily accessible for my grandma? Or do you have to hike to all of them?

How difficult is that road to Hana btw? Living in California I’ve driven a few mountainous windy and narrow roads but some people make it sound like you have a 50% chance of dying on the way to Hana.

We re open to doing an excursion to Lana’i if it’s worth taking up a day of our stay and a susnet Cruise. Aside from this maybe snorkeling or some water sports.

I’ve started researching activities and places I want to see but haven’t looked into the foods yet. I’d like a mix of fine dining and some casual/ local foods like plate lunches etc.

I’m indifferent about going to a luau but I know the rest of my family probably wants to. The two I went to in the past were nice enough but they didn’t feel very authentic to me. Great dancers and music etc but the whole thing feels so touristy if that makes sense.

I’m staying 5 nights at the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas in Kaanapali and 2 nights at the Marriott in Wailea. I’d like a balance between fun and relaxation. I’m thinking 4 days relaxation including arrival date and 3 active days or vice versa.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Aulani was SO fun. It was our first time to Hawaii in general, and it didn't disappoint.

We of course were flying in on the very day that the hurricane was supposed to hit Oahu the hardest. FUN!

Luckily, the island was completely missed, and they just got a few isolated showers and mild wind.

It acually made the weather more enjoyable for us Oregonians who don't understand what the sun is and typically run from it as much as if we were vampires. The first couple days it was cloudy, but still warm and muggy. Then the sun came out, but the humidity seemed to ease up some. It was pretty comfortable the entire time. Thank you Hurricane Lane!

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful.

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0227.JPG

This koi fish literally looked like he was dresses as a skeleton for Halloween. :inlove:

DSC_0247.JPG

The lazy river was a hit with all of us and it reminded me of Jungle Cruise in certain parts.

DSC_0307.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom