Disneyland park to serve alcohol to regular park guests

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/03/is-disney-making-a-mistake-by-selling-alcohol-at-disneyland/

>>Walt Disney nixed the sale of alcohol at Disneyland for marketing purposes. It’s not like he held some personal objection to alcohol, being a drinker himself and approving the sale of alcohol inside the private Club 33 within Disneyland. But not selling beer and mixed drinks to the public allowed Disneyland to promote itself as a more family-friendly destination than the seedy carnivals that the people first saw as Disneyland’s competition.

Now, six decades later, Disney defines family entertainment in this country. It sells alcohol at every other theme park it runs in the United States, and attendance continues to grow. So long as Disney continues to develop and offer world-class themed attractions, its parks will keep charming parents and thrilling children – no matter what it offers on a drink menu.

And I think that is the most important “Walt’s rule” of all.<<

Ismael Flores

100% agree. Disney is doing their part in reducing waste that gets in the oceans so sea turtles don't get straws stuck up their nose but doesn't seem to care about the human waste generated by someone killing people with their car because they had too much to drink at the resort. One life lost because of an alcohol related accident is too much.

by the time the person exits the park, gets in line for the trams or shuttles, rides the tram or shuttles back and then walks 1/4 mile to the parking spot i doubt there is even a buzz from the drink they had.

socalifornian

Hollywood Reporter interviewing Iger

HR: Finally, some Disneyland purists are upset that there's going to be booze for sale in Star Wars Land.

Iger: We have to be careful we don't let people drink and then go on Autopia. (Laughs.)

HR: Funny. Walt did specifically say no booze at Disneyland.

Iger: Yeah, except I think Walt had a nip or two in his apartment at night. (Laughs.) I am a big believer in tradition. This just seemed like one of those traditions that if we changed it the empire wasn't going to crumble.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ahman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Tom P.

Hollywood Reporter interviewing Iger

HR: Finally, some Disneyland purists are upset that there's going to be booze for sale in Star Wars Land.

Iger: We have to be careful we don't let people drink and then go on Autopia. (Laughs.)

HR: Funny. Walt did specifically say no booze at Disneyland.

Iger: Yeah, except I think Walt had a nip or two in his apartment at night. (Laughs.) I am a big believer in tradition. This just seemed like one of those traditions that if we changed it the empire wasn't going to crumble.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-iger-disneys-streaming-service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News_2018-09-20 08:00:00_ARahman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews
I think Iger misses the point there. Or at least is trying to ignore the point.

Yes, we all know that Walt was not opposed to alcohol and that he himself drank. And no one is suggesting that alcohol not be served at California Adventure, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, etc. The point is that Disneyland was unique and that it was made unique deliberately by Walt. This isn't one of those hypothetical "what would Walt do?" kind of discussions. This is an actual decision and quote of Walt himself.

No, Disney is not going to crumble because of this decision. But that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Old Mouseketeer

I think Iger misses the point there. Or at least is trying to ignore the point.

Yes, we all know that Walt was not opposed to alcohol and that he himself drank. And no one is suggesting that alcohol not be served at California Adventure, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, etc. The point is that Disneyland was unique and that it was made unique deliberately by Walt. This isn't one of those hypothetical "what would Walt do?" kind of discussions. This is an actual decision and quote of Walt himself.

No, Disney is not going to crumble because of this decision. But that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Personally, I would prefer it if they restricted alcohol consumption to inside the indoor/outdoor seating areas at bars and restaurants in DL Park. No roaming and no beverage carts. That's probably a lost cause in the long run. But that's what I would like. YMMV.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Personally, I would prefer it if they restricted alcohol consumption to inside the indoor/outdoor seating areas at bars and restaurants in DL Park. No roaming and no beverage carts. That's probably a lost cause in the long run. But that's what I would like. YMMV.

I think you will get your wish. I presume that Disney will keep its park wide Liquor License they have had for decades. It allows them to serve it, but Disney has limited it to Club 33 and special events.

The Cantina policy will be to keep it in the area (outdoor patio will be allowed), and looks like next would be the Blue Bayou and maybe other NOS restaurants, but once again, must be consumed inside the restaurant area. Other lands might also get locations. But I don't see it Fantasyland or Main Street, but then again, I could be wrong, especially during Fireworks and Parade viewing.

But currently, I see it phased in and no roaming.

Old Mouseketeer

I think you will get your wish. I presume that Disney will keep its park wide Liquor License they have had for decades. It allows them to serve it, but Disney has limited it to Club 33 and special events.

The Cantina policy will be to keep it in the area (outdoor patio will be allowed), and looks like next would be the Blue Bayou and maybe other NOS restaurants, but once again, must be consumed inside the restaurant area. Other lands might also get locations. But I don't see it Fantasyland or Main Street, but then again, I could be wrong, especially during Fireworks and Parade viewing.

But currently, I see it phased in and no roaming.

I hope you're right. I guess my biggest question is whether they will match Magic Kingdom's implementation, or stop short of that. My information is that all MK Table Service and Buffeteria locations have at least beer and wine. I'm unclear about counter service. But I hear there are at least a couple of beverage carts including Dole Whip with alcohol. My impression is that there is roaming like the other three FL parks, but I've heard conflicting reports.

Again, I'm OK with DL Park having Beer and wine at Table Service and Buffeteria and some form of cocktail service at Table Service (but there is no infrastructure for lounges like DCA-side). I would prefer not to have alcohol at counter service and no roaming or ODV.

Nonsuch

So if it's pre-made then there goes the chances of getting a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster :cry:
tony-solaroni-tokyo-disneyland-2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom