Disneyland Paris Half Marathon

Greenlawler

Do you think GET Sports is the way to go? Or do you think my Disney travel agent could get us a better deal?

AS for food we want to do Walt's and Blue Lagoon? Maybe one more? How much should I expect to pay?

Also we are starting over, I spent a lot of time studying for last year but I have n clue where I put that info.

We are planning on flying into London and spending a couple of days there, and one day in Cardiff before making the trek to Paris.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Do you think GET Sports is the way to go? Or do you think my Disney travel agent could get us a better deal?

AS for food we want to do Walt's and Blue Lagoon? Maybe one more? How much should I expect to pay?

Also we are starting over, I spent a lot of time studying for last year but I have n clue where I put that info.

We are planning on flying into London and spending a couple of days there, and one day in Cardiff before making the trek to Paris.

It’s hard for me to answer about using a sports travel agency because I have always booked DLP on my own (when I go to WDW sometimes I’ve used a travel agent, sometimes I’ve booked on my own), and given that I have an AP I can get a better deal than a sports travel agency. You could compare what sort of quote you get from GET Sports and then look on the website to see what the price of the room is (plus the price of the races and other components) to see if it is worth it or not. You also might want to explore the idea of getting a room only reservation and buying tickets separately. I say this because converting one of the tickets into an AP while you are there will probably save you money but I don’t think you can do this with tickets attached to a room reservation (as they don’t seem to have a separate monetary value). With the AP you can get discounts on the other tickets (and depending on which AP up to 5 tickets in one week at only EUR 35 per ticket) as well as merchandise and food discounts. The percentage of discount varies with the type of AP. Also some AP come with the photopass card (which at DLP really means ride photos - only some character M&G have a photographer and this year for the first time there was one near the castle during race weekend but I’ve never seen one before). On the subject of photopass, be aware that the two sold for race weekend are restricted in terms of bib numbers. Assuming you will be doing the challenge, maybe @RunningKoen can tell you if your bib number remains the same for all three races or not, because the race photopass is good for up to 3 bib numbers and the other one for 6.

No matter which way you book (GET, yourself, or a travel agent) don’t assume that similarly named components (or restaurants!) are the same at DLP as WDW. I’ll doublecheck with someone I know going next week who got talked into the meal plan (I encouraged her not to take it and to get one AP instead) because it seems in some restaurants you are restricted as to what menu items you can order (this comes from overhearing the waiter explaining to a family next to us this summer at Captain Jack’s (formerly the Blue Lagoon). Also, DLP is no WDW in terms of food - most of my meals there have been just OK. The menus are on the DLP website with prices, so you’d have to give it a look to see what you might eat. With three of you for the food only, you’d probably save with one AP (most expensive AP (eur 399) gives you a 15% discount on food). The only one you wouldn’t want would be the cheapest, as it isn’t good on weekends (http://annual-passes.disneylandparis.co.uk/).

Time to go make my coffee and start my day 😉

RunningKoen

I dont have an AP for DLP, and I've been booking through a (sport) travel agent for four years in a row now. AP does give a lot of discounts but the booking proces for them is complex.

Booking directly at Disney without an AP is rather expensive, but you might be able to use one of the active deals to lower the cost. (Like free breakfast and some discounts). Travel Agents, like GET, might be cheaper, because they have reserved (a lot) of rooms for this specific weekend. My TA, Run to the Magic, had a early booking discount last year.

Staying offsite and waiting for bib only is a cheaper option, but it's a bit of a risk. Thats why I go for TA's or even booking directly at Disney.

@Swissmiss is right about the food. Don't compare it to WDW. I prefer Disney Village (Steakhouse and Vapaino!) That last one is rather new and it works for me. Visited the pasta and pizza place daily in 2018.

Btw, I'm booked for 2019 :)

surfsupdon

Today I talked myself into it. I filled out the online form, entered all my credit card info, even told two friends, but then I never submitted the form. The screen is still up on my laptop.

I am not an overseas person, or even a traveler, as much as I try to convince myself.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Today I talked myself into it. I filled out the online form, entered all my credit card info, even told two friends, but then I never submitted the form. The screen is still up on my laptop.

I am not an overseas person, or even a traveler, as much as I try to convince myself.

This sounds like a fantastic way to start the new year! You’le be proud of yourself when you’ve done it. You already know @RunningKoen and I’ll be there as well (just finally was able to make my reservation yesterday because I needed to wait for my AP renewal). We can have a mini meet up there 😀

surfsupdon

This sounds like a fantastic way to start the new year! You’le be proud of yourself when you’ve done it. You already know @RunningKoen and I’ll be there as well (just finally was able to make my reservation yesterday because I needed to wait for my AP renewal). We can have a mini meet up there 😀
Sincerely appreciate your kindness and support.

RunningKoen

Welcome 😉.

I just read in another thread that there is a WDWmagic meet-up on 22 September to watch the castle show with all our medals on. Isn’t that right @RunningKoen ?

And if you have any questions about DLP or around, don’t hesitate to give a holler.

That meet was mostly a joke, as @LAKid53 and I watched the fireworks on sunday with our medals during the marathon weekend.

I will most likely be home already on the 22th when the fireworks starts. Work at the 23th ;-)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
That meet was mostly a joke, as @LAKid53 and I watched the fireworks on sunday with our medals during the marathon weekend.

I will most likely be home already on the 22th when the fireworks starts. Work at the 23th ;-)

And this is why recovery is difficult for you - you’ll be sitting on a plane or in a car or on a train for an extended period just a few short hours after running the half!

Greenlawler

Made another big payment today.....it's getting real

Got to start making flight and London/Cardiff plans.

We are arriving on the 19th and staying till the 24th in Paris. We are either going to London/Cardiff on the front end or back end. Not really sure which.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Made another big payment today.....it's getting real

Got to start making flight and London/Cardiff plans.

We are arriving on the 19th and staying till the 24th in Paris. We are either going to London/Cardiff on the front end or back end. Not really sure which.

You may want to factor in jet lag and race times when you make that decision. If it’ll play in your favor, go after, if it’ll make it tougher, go before. The nice thing about the DLP races is that you walk to them if you are staying in a Disney hotel and the morning races don’t start until 7:00 am. Just don’t do what I did last year for the 5K and forget that there are way more participants in the 5K plus random people still going to the village or the parks and like you, they all need to go thru security (metal detector and bag xray) when leaving the hotel. It went fairly quickly but because DLP does rolling corral closures, I made it to mine with about a minute to spare - it was closed probably about a dozen runners behind me. 😬

RunningKoen

The overall theme of 2019 is announced. ‘Adventures’.

The villain theme of 2018 opened a lot of options for different medals and shirts within the overall theme (Marvel, Sidekicks ..)

Adventures is even a opener theme. Anything can be seen as an adventure. The theme of the 2019 edition Disney races will be the seasons that have marked the parks during the year! That’s what the fans are really motivated about (Princesses, Pirates, Mickey theme, Lion King or Jungle theme) .

I’ll react as soon as the race themes are clear. Cant say if I like adventure at this moment, as anything can happen.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Made the final payment today.....I hate searching for flights.

In case you don’t know there is a lot of code sharing (I think that’s the right term) between certain airlines flying to Europe so price of tickets or the availability of certain legs can vary based on who you book through

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom