Disneyland Paris Half Marathon

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Food on property: :hungover:

I tried calling directly last week to enquire about prices but was told the direc reservations weren't yet open, only thru the tour operators; run Disney France replied to my email about that telling me that I could book thru the direct number as from today but I didn't have time to call. I've been led to believe I can get a annual passholder rate on the room along with my bib. If this is so, it may be worthwhile to look into an annual pass which are much more affordable at DLP (just make sure to check that there are no black-out dates for any passes other than the infinity.

@LAKid53 - why the Chunnel to Calais? I would do London Eurostar to either Paris (Gare du Nord) (which would then require you to take a metro or RER one or two stops to be able to switch to RER A to Marne-la-vallee) or to Lille, and at that station you'd switch to the TGV train which brings you directly to Marne-la-vallee).

And while of COURSE I'd hope that your daughter gets pregnant quickly, if she doesn't, just think of the cute baby clothes you'll be able to bring back from DLP ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Food on property: :hungover:

I tried calling directly last week to enquire about prices but was told the direc reservations weren't yet open, only thru the tour operators; run Disney France replied to my email about that telling me that I could book thru the direct number as from today but I didn't have time to call. I've been led to believe I can get a annual passholder rate on the room along with my bib. If this is so, it may be worthwhile to look into an annual pass which are much more affordable at DLP (just make sure to check that there are no black-out dates for any passes other than the infinity.

@LAKid53 - why the Chunnel to Calais? I would do London Eurostar to either Paris (Gare du Nord) (which would then require you to take a metro or RER one or two stops to be able to switch to RER A to Marne-la-vallee) or to Lille, and at that station you'd switch to the TGV train which brings you directly to Marne-la-vallee).

And while of COURSE I'd hope that your daughter gets pregnant quickly, if she doesn't, just think of the cute baby clothes you'll be able to bring back from DLP ;)

Well, that's disappointing to hear about the food.

Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance here. I thought the only way from England to the continent that wasn't a plane or ferry was the Chunnel. What is the London Eurostar?

If I do this, I want to take a train from England to France. Trains in Europe are a great method of transportation.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I just checked: yes there are trains from Calais but it looks like they all require a change in Lille so you'd be better off doing the Eurostar from London directly to Lille and then changing for the TGV.

Also, train tickets are cheaper the earlier you buy them, so pay attention to how far in advance you can buy. And unless you are getting a special fare based on a weekend stay, there is often no "advantage" to booking round trip so I often book my ticket to somewhere the day it opens and book my ticket back on the day it is available if I am really trying to get the (very) few cheapest seats.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You are correct - the Chunnel is the train route between the UK and France. Eurostar is the high speed train (like the TGV in France) and you can either take a Eurostar direct to Paris (but then it's a bit of a pain to switch to the RER train to DLP because you have to switch stations) or take a Eurostar to Lille and then switch to the TGV in the same train station, which will bring you directly to DLP.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
And I wasn't completely fair about food on property - I've never been to any of the table service restaurants or buffets in the parks, only the counter service places and they are merely "ok". Years ago we did go to dinner at one of the hotels and it was good. However, many of the village restaurants have counterparts in WDW and they are just not as good. I'd completely forgotten however that 5 Guys opened in the village but as I had already gone that same day to Annette's diner and had a burger at lunch, I wasn't going to have another burger at night. As my stay during the DLP half next year will be without my adorable but picky DD preteen, I think I'll look into trying Chef Remy's in the Studios.

Whatever you do, don't add breakfast to your room. I've been able to comfirm that it's the same continental buffet that was offered for free before, but now is something like 30€ extra per person per night. The buffet is NOT at all like the breakfast buffets in WDW.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You're quite welcome - and I usually only charge a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups for my assistance but now they sell them in the train station here ;)

Um, those Reese's wouldn't make it from the US to France...

Texas84

So, was looking at room rates and they seem very reasonable. When I did the inaugural I didn't notice the cost because I was all
futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-34.jpg

RunningKoen

Hi all! Work has been insane (made a promotion) but quite inactive here for a while. Will try to answer all the questions with my POV. That might help you :)

Yep we are two of those Americans!

Okay so here you go I am going to be pelting you with questions.

Here are a few for today.

Which resort? Trying to save money, is Sequoia worth the extra price over Cheyenne?

We are huge Disney buffs and will want to see everything, how many days will it take us?

Getting to and from the airport, how much and how?

@Greenlawler I've stayed in Disney hotels both times; the package benefit is a big plus for me and I will keep doing that, to ensure a perfect status.

I've stayed at Sequioa at first, and New Port this year. Next year I'm booked for Cheyenne.
I'm booking solo and Sequioa is a lot of extra money, compared to Cheyenne.

I've liked both Sequioa and New Port, but the rooms are much alike. Cheyenne has just been renovated and the rooms look great on the new pics. Around the same size for the cheap ones, with a perfect but small bathroom. So the difference is in the extra's and distance to the parcs. I've liked the pool in Newport, but in the end only used it once and it wasnt much needed to recover. (if any of you guys book the etter hotels and you're up for a swimming pool meet; hit me up! #offtopic).

Same for the distance to the parcs. If you plan it right, you only walk to/from your hotel twice a day. It's all really close, certainly compared to WDW. I dont mind walking and I can deal with it after running.
I saw a lot of people struggling during the races, injured and all, and walking a extra KM to the hotel can be a hell for them.

We've booked newport instead of sequioa to be closer to the expo. However, finish was at studios this year, so that backfired and we still had to walk near 2 KM back to hotel. With that in mind, walking 2 or 4 KM after a race is almost the same for me.

I have no experience with it, but there seems to be a okay connection between the airports and DLP. Dont have details, but I saw little to no complains on a Facebook Group for the Magic Run Weekend. There's a magicl express.
http://magicalshuttle.co.uk/

If you're able to plan decent flight times, you'd only need 2, max 3 days to see everything as a disney buff. If you're there from thuesday-thursday, as @Swissmiss said, very light crowds.
Studios isn't that big, and in general less crowded than the main parc.
If you're there before friday: even 1 full day in both parcs might be enough to see most of it, with some good planning, and use the other race days to do some left over stuff and take pictures.
You can use friday to prepare for all races, do the expo, relax etc.

The race weekend itself quite crowded, so this year, I didnt even enter the parcs on saturday or sunday. Saw all I wanted before most people came and avoided the masses. Chilled at the hotel and village on saturday and left at sunday.

To add to @Greenlawler's questions, I'd like to add

1. I'd be flying VA to Heathrow, spend a fews day in London and then take the Chunnel to Calais. Would there be trains from Calais to a location near DLP?

2. Hotel/tickets packages?

3. Food on property? Good, bad, indifferent?

Now, @Swissmiss, don't get your hopes up. If daughter is expecting by 1st of the year, race date would be too close to delivery date for grandma to go fly off to Europe for a week.

@LAKid53 too late. My hopes are up. You're coming ;-)

1) There's a train station literally next to disney. It's part of the village area, and actually closer to both parcs and village compared to the hotels. Downside: afaik there isnt a direct line. You need to switch trains in Paris I guess.

2) I'm fan of the packages. I have no AP or anything and never went to Disney tickey only, so hard to compare however. As far as I can tell, the packages are a fair deal, taking into account that you're staying in a Disney hotel so paying extra for that.

3) expensive, and I cant tell that much difference from WDW. You're always overpaying and the quality is what you can expect from quick serve. The new Chef Mickey was bad, but all my other dining experiences in DLP had been good :)

I'd say yes, the Sequoia is worth the extra money - particularly for its location, but Cheyenne isn't all that much further (at least it doesn't seem to be and my only reference is running past it twice during this year and last year's half marathon. As for how many days it will take you, it'll depend on whether you are coming before the races or staying after. In general, that time of the year the weekends are just awful but the weekdays have very light crowds. So for example if you were able to do the parks Wed-Fri, you'd problably get in everything you want to and then some.

Can't help you with your airport question, as I either drive or take the train to DLP.

Sequioa had a great styling and theme aswell, and a pool, but it's all about the distance indeed. You're right, Cheyenne isn't that much futher. So thats why I downgraded this year.

Did you already book?

So, was looking at room rates and they seem very reasonable. When I did the inaugural I didn't notice the cost because I was all
View attachment 240111

I've booked quite early this year cause I also was suprised, the prices are very reasonable. I'd almost say its cheaper than the inaugural.

Plus who cares about the money. You cant spend it on Tink or Light side anymore xD. The bibs are way cheaper than the races in Disneyland, CA, so use that saving to book a flight and see Paris :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@RunningKoen - No, I haven't booked yet because the last time I called booking by telephone hadn't opened yet here ... apparently each country has had their own phone booking opening date. :banghead: Plus, despite being told that yes, I could get a discount on the room with my AP, those rates aren't out yet :banghead::banghead:. I'm going to call back again when the booking window reopens to find out what the non AP rates are like to see if I want to hold off or not.

How funny - just like last year when I learned after the race weekend that @Texas84 was in the Newport as well, I learned this year that you stayed there - we might have crossed paths!

I agree with you about the weekend in the parks - went for a few hours on Saturday and it was way too crowded. At a certain point my group had split up (my DD and my friends' younger DD didn't want to do the same rides as the others) and after a bit the girls just asked to go hang out at the hotel after we'd eaten a late lunch. And when I saw all the people entering the park as I was running thru the Village I decided to forget going to the parks and enjoyed the pool instead.

Friday, by contrast, was great - more or less walked on everything we wanted to do with the exception of Star Tours (30ish minute wait) and never got to do Big Thunder Mountain - FP return time was not convenient and we didn't feel like waiting in line.

RunningKoen

Telephone booking is open in the netherlands, however, AP discount isnt avaible yet. And no sign on when it will be ...

Another thing about the crowds during the weekend: it's extra annoying combined with running. My sister was way less trained and really needed the rest after 15K. Slowly walking in the parcs and standing in line so long would have killed her.

What funny! Next year, I wont be at newport at all sadly. way to expensive when traveling solo. But the benefit of traveling solo: it's easier to meet people :)

Greenlawler

I have not booked yet, I keep getting mixed opinions on the hotels.

I do love a good pool day, but DW is convinced we are not going to use it. So I am leaning to Cheyenne, it's about a $200 difference in total. As runDisney grizzled vet I am used to walking long distances before and after races lol.

Our plan is to take the train from London to Paris on Thursday. Spend Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday in the parks. However we have not set that in stone yet. It could be we hit London on the back end, but it's hard to imagine that because DLP is what I am most excited about and want that to be our apex.

Once I actually put down the deposit it will be set in stone. We are nervous about taking the dive. I am also concerned that Phantom Manor will be closed and we will have missed it, cause this one's probably a first and last.

RunningKoen

I've checked it on Google maps, using the central spot where you can either go the studios or disneyland parc. (intersection around the World of Disney store.)

Starting that point, its around 600 meters to the back of hotel new york, 800 meters to back of Sequioa Lodge (around 200 meters extra for the lodges in the back of the area), 900 meters to the back of hotel New port bay, 1300 meters to Cheyenne and 1400 meters to Santa Fe.

All hotels are within a mile of the parcs; using the walking paths around lake Disney. Compared to WDW, even the 2 star hotels are closer to the magic kingdom than Wilderness Lodge or Floridian Resort.

I would recommend Cheyenne when you're not swimming.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@Greenlawler - Make sure you reserve the Eurostar to Lille and then the TGV from Lille to Marne-la-Vallee. This is much easier than taking the Eurostar to Paris, because you'd then need to get a metro to a station where you can pick up the RER train to Marne-la-Vallee. Don't pick your hotel for the pool - they are really nothing special at DLP and unless you think you'll absolutely want/need to go in the jacuzzi after the half, it certainly won't add much value to your trip. Also, don't fall into the trap of adding the breakfast buffet to your room reservation - its very overpriced and will be nothing like a breakfast buffet at WDW.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@RunningKoen - That's really helpful information about the distances. I'm curious though how you measured the distance to the Newport - I would have thought it the same distance as the Sequoia (if you use the walkway between McDonalds and Earl of Sandwich and then take the pathway which follows the bottom of the grassy hill instead of the path that first goes to the lake).

Swissmiss

Premium Member
The US needs to dump Imperial and finally go metric. It's a pain to convert meters to miles ...

You said it sister! All my training plans are in miles so I have Runkeeper and my Garmin watch set up to miles. But the treadmills at work are in km and most of my friends think in km, so I am constantly converting back and forth between the two.

RunningKoen

@Greenlawler - Don't pick your hotel for the pool - they are really nothing special at DLP and unless you think you'll absolutely want/need to go in the jacuzzi after the half, it certainly won't add much value to your trip.
True. I spent 2 hours in total at the pool. It was fun, helped with recovery, but was far from essential.
The only reason I did it was because I had the saturday planned outside of the parcs, to avoid the crowds.(waiting, standing and the slow pace of walking) Chilling at the pool and at disney village was fine, but a personal choice.

@RunningKoen - That's really helpful information about the distances. I'm curious though how you measured the distance to the Newport - I would have thought it the same distance as the Sequoia (if you use the walkway between McDonalds and Earl of Sandwich and then take the pathway which follows the bottom of the grassy hill instead of the path that first goes to the lake).
Google maps, walking paths. Lake Disney is bigger than I expected, and apparantly the parc entrance of the sequioa lodge isn't at the middle of Lake Disney, but relatively north. It's easier to walk to Hotel New York (an extra 200 meters) and from there, it's just 600 meters aswell.

Walking to New Port Bay requires you to walk all the way down south of Lake Disney, and that part is around 300 meters, one way or another. It's closer to the expo area than sequioa. I expected it to be closer to finish area this year, but that turned out otherwise.

The US needs to dump Imperial and finally go metric. It's a pain to convert meters to miles ...

Definitely. For you: Expo area: 0.4Mile NYH: 0.4Mile, Sequioa: 0.5M, New Port Bay: 0.55M, Cheyenne: 0.8M, Santa Fe: 0.9M
You can walk north or south around Lake Disney, so thats why some hotels have the same distance yet totally different locations.

You said it sister! All my training plans are in miles so I have Runkeeper and my Garmin watch set up to miles. But the treadmills at work are in km and most of my friends think in km, so I am constantly converting back and forth between the two.

Same. Converting all the time aswell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom