Disneyland,Ohio?

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Sorry Fridgeman (sic) but I can't let this be the last post on this thread! Being from GA maybe you have not traveled up north at all but here in Ohio we are far from any "Alaska hellhole". We are not cold year round and we are not constantly covered in snow for the winter months. It usually starts snowing about mid-November then we start getting nice days in about mid-March. Our spring, summer, and fall are very nice times of the year. Actually the local amusement parks (Six :hurl: Flags and Cedar Point) could really open sooner and stay open longer than they currently do.

So really a WDW park would do great in Ohio. IMHO because I live here!

Christina

jmarc63

Originally posted by CoraJack
Actually the local amusement parks (Six :hurl: Flags and Cedar Point) could really open sooner and stay open longer than they currently do.

Christina

corajack......... one of the reason for the parks having limited hours after labor day and only weekends thru the holloween season is one of expences of the park IE: cost of paying maintence and operators of the rides versus the number of admissions. It's not cost effective for them to have personell not working to the fullest capacity they can when you have the bean counters toting the line these days, especialy if there a publicly traded company, After the school year starts limits the number of available seasonal employee base as well as patron base to keep open any longer then they do in the snow belt, not to mention some people up here hibernate in the colder months and only appear outside when it's warm like my cousin does. The teenagers make up the lions share of the park admisions and there not available durring the school week. In fact if I remember correctly the SF/GA in chicago closed shortly after labor day in the first years of operation

Sorry for the thread drift

Katherine

As cool as that would be(I live in Ohio!) I don't think it would happen. First there is the winter, it get's really cold. Second there is already 3 amusement park in Ohio and if their is a four I don't think it would make enough money even if it was a disney park. third, I don't think this is ever going to happen:( Well I'm happy going down to Florida every once and a while to visit Mickey!:lol:

Lissydog

While I don't think they will actually put a Disney park in Ohio, I don't think it's for the reasons many have stated. Yes, it is cold in Ohio, but seasonal parks work quite well in Ohio, and even though there are already three sizable ones, I have to wonder if Six Flags will remain. I doubt whether anything will happen in the next 5 or 10 years, but beyond, if things don't turn around for the park, it could close. It is not generating the numbers expected and they are at a disadvantage becasue they have little room to expand. Additionally, the logistics of getting to Six Flags is a vacationing family's nightmare.

Perhaps Disney would look to fill the gap should Six Flags struggle. Ohio has some of the best known names in theme park entertainment, and some of the best rides in the country. Few states can compete with the quality and quantity of parks...California, Texas and Florida are the only ones that come to mind.

PA may be up there, with Kennywood, Hershey Park and Sesame Place, but take a look at other states and what they consider an amusement park - they're glorified carnivals! (Sorry, no offense to those living in other states) As an outsider, I still think it would be feasible, and possibly a good business move.

One reason I thought they may want to build in Ohio is to capture a larger audience...a new audience even. In times of economic recession, such as after 9-11, (don't mean to sound cliche) families may not be in a position to take a WDW vacation. After such events, I read that there was even a trend towards people vacationing closer to home. Plus, let's face it...a WDW vacation is not cheap. Not every family that would like to go can, and this would be an opportunity for those to experience a Disney vacation. There are a ton of people who would like to go to WDW, but for whatever reason can't - they would be going to this park.

Again, this is likely just a rumor gone wild, but a topic that has piqued my interest and imagination none the less.

Maerj

PA would definitely not work for a Disney Park! First of all, people aren't friendly here at all. Second its too cold. Third, everyone would vote it out because it would bring 'outsiders' and they don't like them around here. Think of Pennsylvania as having a couple of cities where most people are fairly literate and the rest of the state makes the banjo playing kid from Deliverance look sophisticated.

I don't think there will be any other major Disney theme parks in the US, other than in California and Orlando. That's okay, kinda keeps them special. It wouldn't be the same if they were everywhere.

Cliff

Hey,....how 'bout the 2,000 acres of land Disney bought near Sherman Texas two years ago?

Hey,...we could actually end up with 4 Disney resorts in North America.

Judging by the steller success of California Adventure and Animal Kingdom,..."Disney Texas" and "Disney Ohio" are guaranteed cash cows!!

Hey,....it could happen. Doesn't Disney always build parks on all their property?

CT :hammer:

Lissydog

Maerj-

I didn't mean to imply that Disney would build a park in PA. I was merely stating that PA had a number of quality parks throughout the state.

Again, depending on what type of park they were looking to acheive, I don't think 'the cold' would be a factor. Perhaps if the thread had been generated this summer, with the ungodly heat, everyone would be arguing it's too hot in Ohio. (I'm being facetious) lol

Maerj

Oh, I know LissyDog, I just took the opportunity to rag on my home state! :lol:

Seriously, I think keeping a limited number of parks not only makes them more special, but will keep the quality higher as they have few parks to maintain/update.

Originally posted by CoraJack
Sorry Fridgeman (sic) but I can't let this be the last post on this thread! Being from GA maybe you have not traveled up north at all but here in Ohio we are far from any "Alaska hellhole". We are not cold year round and we are not constantly covered in snow for the winter months. It usually starts snowing about mid-November then we start getting nice days in about mid-March. Our spring, summer, and fall are very nice times of the year. Actually the local amusement parks (Six :hurl: Flags and Cedar Point) could really open sooner and stay open longer than they currently do.

So really a WDW park would do great in Ohio. IMHO because I live here!

Christina

Haha. good points. but you misunderstood me. I was saying what it would be like if a park was actually in alaska. The summer winterland was a pun makin' fun of the winter summerland golf course.:lol:

And for the record, I was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota.:)

Oh, and what does "(sic)" mean? haha.:animwink:

DAKTOLCMM

Originally posted by Maerj
PA would definitely not work for a Disney Park! First of all, people aren't friendly here at all. Second its too cold. Third, everyone would vote it out because it would bring 'outsiders' and they don't like them around here. Think of Pennsylvania as having a couple of cities where most people are fairly literate and the rest of the state makes the banjo playing kid from Deliverance look sophisticated.

I don't think there will be any other major Disney theme parks in the US, other than in California and Orlando. That's okay, kinda keeps them special. It wouldn't be the same if they were everywhere.

And plus there would be no one to work at it because all the people who want to work at a Disney Park have moved to Orlando! Have you ever noticed how many PA people work there?? The numbers are quite high!

DAKTOLCMM

Originally posted by 10021982
Hey,....how 'bout the 2,000 acres of land Disney bought near Sherman Texas two years ago?

Hey,...we could actually end up with 4 Disney resorts in North America.

Judging by the steller success of California Adventure and Animal Kingdom,..."Disney Texas" and "Disney Ohio" are guaranteed cash cows!!

Hey,....it could happen. Doesn't Disney always build parks on all their property?

CT :hammer:

Not to overstate my point at all, okay so I will overstate my point. I have a hard time believing that anything of significant structure, such as WDW or even DL/DCA, would be built on anything less than a large scale acerage! again, wdw is 30000 acres...50 square miles people! okay enough said. hehe.

also, whoever was posting about great theme parks forgot to mention one of the greatest...Knott's Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America in MInneapolis, MN! Okay, so I am being sarcastic, but whatever.

Also, Animal Kingdom IMHO is a great park if you take it for what it is. It is not a high energy ride after ride park...it is simply an educational place...It is great, take time to walk around, see the sights, learn something! I know that when people take a Disney Vacation the turnstiles suck out their brains, but hopefully you can still learn something. Be thankful that it is not 500 acres like the park could be! Well, I guess it is 500 acres, but most of it is backstage stuff...so anyway...just a vent sorry for the drift.

Maerj

And plus there would be no one to work at it because all the people who want to work at a Disney Park have moved to Orlando! Have you ever noticed how many PA people work there?? The numbers are quite high!

Yeah, each time I have been in Orlando I meet people that are from PA. I think many of us get tired of the crappy weather and the lack of things to do and end up migrating to Florida. I know I'd sure like to do that!

KathyG/poohbear

We have an amusement park about 2 hours away in Charlotte. It is near the old PTL grounds. My family stands in line for tickets to concerts and the locals are convinced that Disney has purchased alot of land in the edge of SC, including the old PTL site. I know this is probably a rumor but they say that the land was purchased by a company that is owned by Disney. I know in reality it is just a rumor but I admit it is fun to dream. Then what happened is that you start looking for signs that is is true.

The Park is Paramount's Carowinds and for the last 2 years they have not had souvenir cups that say Carowinds on them. Also we saw Muppet creatures on the property and doesn't Disney own the Muppets.

Anyway, don't yell me out....in the real part of my mind I know it's not true but I have to have a fantasy. I know more people live within 500 miles of that area than any other area in the country.

If anyone else in NC has heard the rumor, let me know. :)

tomtomtom

Hello everyone!
I have posted this question on another board and got no where,so I decided to pose the question here.
It is a fact that last year The Disney corpoation bought up mega acres of land in Rock Creek,Ohio.
Now I have heard rumors that they are going to build a Disneyland in Ohio,but so far they have not done anything to this land to my knowledge.I do know a person who`s company got the contract to do the roads. Now please don`t flame me,cause I`m only asking a question,wether you think that a Disneyland in Ohio is obsurd or not,I just wondered if anyone out there knows what Disney is going to do with this land?:D
my step dad knew people on the ashtabula city councel and he told me that they were putting in a winterwonderland themepark and had giving ashtabula and or ohio timelimet to widen interstate and some other stuff this was a few years ago before the work started thats all i know

rsoxguy

my step dad knew people on the ashtabula city councel and he told me that they were putting in a winterwonderland themepark and had giving ashtabula and or ohio timelimet to widen interstate and some other stuff this was a few years ago before the work started thats all i know

2002 humor, 2015 style.
If this did actually come to fruition and the theme park was a huge success, would people say that it was ashtabulous?

216bruce

As a Clevelander I saw this, looked into it, found it was from 2002 and the tiny flicker of excitement went out. But THIS comment was outstanding. Yeah, every year when we spend a week at a resort not-too-far from Pittsburgh, you definitely get that feeling....Truth be told, you get it in most of Ohio too, but with most of our teeth.

Maerj

As a Clevelander I saw this, looked into it, found it was from 2002 and the tiny flicker of excitement went out. But THIS comment was outstanding. Yeah, every year when we spend a week at a resort not-too-far from Pittsburgh, you definitely get that feeling....Truth be told, you get it in most of Ohio too, but with most of our teeth.

Sheesh, I didn't even remember typing that! There was a bit of venom behind that, I sense. Must have been having one of those days. Still can't see a Disney Park here though.

216bruce

Sheesh, I didn't even remember typing that! There was a bit of venom behind that, I sense. Must have been having one of those days. Still can't see a Disney Park here though.
Yeah, we all have those days. I hear you. Love the "Deliverance" comparison. I've thought that myself- in Ohio and Pa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom