Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

fctiger

I guess my point is, when does Disney's responsibility to protect guests from covid end, especially when the government says that masks for vaccinated are no longer needed in many situations. I don't think they have any duty to protect the un-vaccinated from each other. I think the bigger issue is policing it...Disney can very easily say, we don't want to have to police who has and hasn't had a vaccine so we'll just assume everyone has not and masks will continue to be required.

At some point, whether that's now or 2 years from now, everyone will enter stores, churches, arenas, theme parks, etc. and there will be an assumed risk.

No they don't but they still want everyone to feel safe, so I think the masks will stay at least through the end of the year which they already said months ago would happen even after the vaccines were announced.

And I think that's fine. Me and my girlfriend are now fully vaccinated and now our kids will be since they can soon as well, but I still have no issues wearing a mask when asked. Biden announced today everyone who is vaccinated no longer have to wear a mask, but there are still entities saying they want people to wear masks like transportation until just more people are.

And yeah let's also be honest, we know a lot of people out there will simply not wear the mask even if they are not vaccinated if they can get away with it. And unless Disney check for vaccination cards OR just let people in who has been vaccinated and can prove it, this is probably the best option for now.

I'm just happy I can go to theme parks and feel more safer personally. Now we're thinking about going back to the park much earlier than expected, July or even next month.

mickEblu

Disney will remove the mask mandate at DL as soon as they are allowed. Just like they’re doing at WDW. Guest spending is expected to rise without outdoor mask usage, in particular.

Well if that’s the case that would be 6/15. And if that’s the case I would postpone my trip. But something tells me they won’t be announcing their plans anytime soon.

el_super

I guess my point is, when does Disney's responsibility to protect guests from covid end, especially when the government says that masks for vaccinated are no longer needed in many situations.

Not just guests, but cast as well. Removing the mask mandate could put Cast Members at an additional risk. They will need to have the buy in from the union to move forward.

At some point, whether that's now or 2 years from now, everyone will enter stores, churches, arenas, theme parks, etc. and there will be an assumed risk.

I want to make ot clear that I do believe the mask mandate will eventually disappear, but its still a big question mark when that will be.

What is interesting though is that liability is usually based in part on how reasonable it is to enact a safety measure. They can't argue that forcing people to wear masks, or putting up social distancing is unreasonable if they've already opened the park in this fashion. The counter argument that "its uncomfortable" just doesn't have the legal weight to justify removing it.

I'm sure at some point the loss in attendance will outweigh the potential liability and the masks will go away, but I am not convinced that happens tomorrow or even by June 15th.

CaptinEO

Not just guests, but cast as well. Removing the mask mandate could put Cast Members at an additional risk. They will need to have the buy in from the union to move forward.

I want to make ot clear that I do believe the mask mandate will eventually disappear, but its still a big question mark when that will be.

What is interesting though is that liability is usually based in part on how reasonable it is to enact a safety measure. They can't argue that forcing people to wear masks, or putting up social distancing is unreasonable if they've already opened the park in this fashion. The counter argument that "its uncomfortable" just doesn't have the legal weight to justify removing it.

I'm sure at some point the loss in attendance will outweigh the potential liability and the masks will go away, but I am not convinced that happens tomorrow or even by June 15th.
They arent liable for following state and county rules.

You can still wear your mask when you show up if it makes you feel better.

fctiger

Disney will remove the mask mandate at DL as soon as they are allowed. Just like they’re doing at WDW. Guest spending is expected to rise without outdoor mask usage, in particular.

But they already said for DL, the mask mandate will still in effect through the end of 2021.

And this was already when vaccinations were happening. But yes,, maybe it will change. I think WDW is different for a LOT of reasons, the main issue being the heat. The irony is when the virus first came around, people thought the heat would just kill it off, but that clearly didn't really happen, but yeah.

I have no dog in this fight personally. Mask, no mask, I'm good to go either way now. But I think most CA theme parks probably want to get in the minimum tier until they feel comfortable enough to go completely without at least. But it looks like most of them are no longer doing temperature checks now and won't be surprised if Disney stopped doing it in a few weeks too.

waltography

Well if that’s the case that would be 6/15. And if that’s the case I would postpone my trip. But something tells me they won’t be announcing their plans anytime soon.
Absolutely. Regardless of how you feel about the mask mandate, Disney isn't going to lift it in June in California whether Newsom allows it or not. What I think will happen is they'll lift it in Florida first to gauge reaction, and even then they'll probably let Universal or other Orlando parks to do it first.

ToTBellHop

But they already said for DL, the mask mandate will still in effect through the end of 2021.

And this was already when vaccinations were happening. But yes,, maybe it will change. I think WDW is different for a LOT of reasons, the main issue being the heat. The irony is when the virus first came around, people thought the heat would just kill it off, but that clearly didn't really happen, but yeah.

I have no dog in this fight mask, no mask, I'm good to go either way now. But I think most CALIF theme parks probably want to get in the minimum tier until they feel comfortable enough to go completely without at least. But it looks like most of them are no longer doing temperature checks now and won't be surprised if Disney stopped doing it in a few weeks too.
Chapek said that for WDW, as well. The situation has changed dramatically. They will pull the outdoor mandate first.

Stevek

My original note did comment about protecting cast members, I was responding to another post about protecting guests. I just wonder when does it no longer become Disney's liability if the government says that vaccinated folks don't have to wear them. If the CDC feels comfortable allowing non-mask wearing in so many places, are these places "technically" absolved of any liability. Of course, we know that absolving someone of liability doesn't actually mean they won't be sued. I don't think they go away very soon either, certainly not by the 15th. I do see them going away by end of year though.

1620946345521.png

el_super

What I think will happen is they'll lift it in Florida first to gauge reaction, and even then they'll probably let Universal or other Orlando parks to do it first.

Another interesting wrinkle to add to this is that Chapek indicated that he belived it would be a catalyst to increase attendance, and there is no point in doing that if you are still at limited capacity.

fctiger

Chapek said that for WDW, as well. The situation has changed dramatically. They will pull the outdoor mandate first.

And I literally said it could change. I just think people shouldn't get ahead of themselves until someone says it. Right now EVERY theme park in California still require wearing masks. Not one has come out and said anything other wise. That could change tomorrow, or in 6 months. I just don't think people should treat it like it's a guarantee it's going to happen anytime soon, that's all. But if they change it, I'm all for it personally.

But thinking out loud here, maybe they will make some bigger changes like less social distancing soon and maybe can even have queues indoors soon. I care more about those than wearing a mask or not.

Stevek

Im saying for when they do in the future.

You were talking about Disney defying current health codes?
The state will never say masks aren't allowed. We're at a point that people will be able to wear them whenever they want, for whatever reason they want. There will also be times where the CDC states that folks may want to wear them i.e. during high flu season. They very much could become a yearly recommendation but not a requirement.

ToTBellHop

And I literally said it could change. I just think people shouldn't get ahead of themselves until someone says it. Right now EVERY theme park in California still require wearing masks. Not one has come out and said anything other wise. That could change tomorrow, or in 6 months. I just don't think people should treat it like it's a guarantee it's going to happen, that's all. But if they change it, I'm all for it personally.
I am saying I have knowledge of the company position. They will remove outdoor mask mandates as soon as possible. They just need clarification from the state. Indoor will take longer.

el_super

I just wonder when does it no longer become Disney's liability

Yeah that's the big question mark here. I think Disney will wait to see what the courts start deciding, or if further guidance and clarification comes from the state. Worst case scenario they get stuck keeping some restrictions, just like getting stuck with the bag checks.

CaptinEO

The state will never say masks aren't allowed. We're at a point that people will be able to wear them whenever they want, for whatever reason they want. There will also be times where the CDC states that folks may want to wear them i.e. during high flu season. They very much could become a yearly recommendation but not a requirement.
I mean people have worn masks since the sars days, seen them at Disneyland as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom