Disneyland New "Flex" Annual Pass

SuddenStorm

But isn't that what all anti-AP people (not saying you were one) have been asking for, for Disney to block out more APs so the park is less crowded? I don't understand why then that's a bad thing for them to introduce a AP where they can do that....

I've never once advocated for that.

Plus, this isn't disney blocking AP's, it's Disney selling more AP's while keeping each previous tier available. All this is gonna do is make the park more crowded.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Guess you missed the part where I said "not saying you were one".

Plus, this isn't disney blocking AP's, it's Disney selling more AP's while keeping each preview tier available. All this is gonna do is make the park more crowded.
This is not the first thing they started with to block APs. Remember that whole block out for specific parks on specific days, that is still in effect for all but Signature APs. So this is just one more thing in their bag of tricks to curb the AP crowds. So no I don't think this AP is going to make the parks more crowded.

Also I see this one day (maybe as soon as next year) replacing the Deluxe or SoCal APs (or both).

fctiger

Plus, this isn't disney blocking AP's, it's Disney selling more AP's while keeping each preview tier available. All this is gonna do is make the park more crowded.

Yes but people know that. That's the trade off. Thats why you are paying basically half for a Signature pass although they have the same amount of days available. And at the end of the day you still have four other passes to choose from.

But if this is a concern for people, then no one should be in a rush to get it until they see how it really works. Right now everything is open but I suspect because not many even have the pass yet. We probably won't really see a real effect until 6 months down the line. It may have a huge effect this summer but I don't think as big as people are assuming. Most people who were serious about wanting an AP for GE probably bought one months ago to (ironically) avoid the cost increase they knew was coming. Next summer is the true test after its been around for awhile and everyone really understands how it works.

mickEblu

I think this is actually highlighting a huge potential issue with Flex Pass- that Disney can arbitrarily decide how many reservations to allow per day, and mark days as "full" before even offering them for reservations.

It's basically Disney giving the illusion of a cheaper pass with fewer blockout dates, while simultaneously allowing them to add blackout days whenever they feel.

I agree they can and probably will use it once that manner but I also think they will keep a reasonable amount of reservations available. If word gets out that nobody can snag a weekend reservation, sales will drop really quickly.

I just upgraded from my So Cal Select a couple days ago and booked June 24th, the first day SWL is open to the general public (more just to test the reservation system for the first time) but I’ll probably cancel it later and go one time before SWL opens and another a few weeks later. The first day is probably not a good idea.

I agree that this will make the parks more crowded on weekends/ holidays/ summer at first until (if) they force all Deluxes and Southern California APs to the Flex Pass.

I have now officially had every type of DLR AP except the Deluxe. As long as reservations are reasonably easy to obtain I don’t see myself moving from this pass for a while.

fctiger

Well the first official week of GE without reservation is up and so far everything is still available including that Saturday.

Its still VERY early but it looks to be pretty good so far for the people who do have the passes. Not one single day has been booked yet in either park for the entire month. Of course I been saying thats not really surprising now because I doubt that many people even have it yet and more than likely stuff will start to get booked up as we get closer to June 24th, but this summer may not be that bad at all. I think July is going to really tell us how good they are if you want to just go to DL without a lot of work.

Our Signature passes expire first week of July. We originally purposely timed it that way assuming GE was going to open sometime in June and we get at least a few visits in and decide if we wanted to renew it. But if July comes and everything is still mostly open like now, we are definitely grabbing these passes. And if summer is not that bad, then the fall and winter will probably be pretty easy to go too. But now I'm officially on Flex watch!

mickEblu

Well the first official week of GE without reservation is up and so far everything is still available including that Saturday.

Its still VERY early but it looks to be pretty good so far for the people who do have the passes. Not one single day has been booked yet in either park for the entire month. Of course I been saying thats not really surprising now because I doubt that many people even have it yet and more than likely stuff will start to get booked up as we get closer to June 24th, but this summer may not be that bad at all. I think July is going to really tell us how good they are if you want to just go to DL without a lot of work.

Our Signature passes expire first week of July. We originally purposely timed it that way assuming GE was going to open sometime in June and we get at least a few visits in and decide if we wanted to renew it. But if July comes and everything is still mostly open like now, we are definitely grabbing these passes. And if summer is not that bad, then the fall and winter will probably be pretty easy to go too. But now I'm officially on Flex watch!

Yeah I was on Flex watch last week and then pulled the trigger. I’ve already made a few reservations and cancelled a few when a better day became available. It’s pretty seamless on the app. As I thought, that confusion we were talking about last week isn’t a problem when you actually have the pass and have the ability to book reservations as opposed to just being able to look at the calendar. Also, when you buy the pass, they shade the days that are 31+ days out a different shade of blue. The legend still doesn’t make sense but oh well.

Last edited:

fctiger

Yeah I was on Flex watch last week and then pulled the trigger. I’ve already made a few reservations and cancelled a few when a better day became available. It’s pretty seamless on the app. As I thought, that confusion we were talking about last week isn’t a problem when you actually have the pass and have the ability to book reservations as opposed to just being able to look at the calendar. Also, when you buy the pass, they shade the days that are 31+ days out a different shade of blue. The legend still doesn’t make sense but oh well.

Wow that is great news! So they do shade the days for actual members. That's all that matters really. Didn't realize you had brought it. Well then definitely keep us informed when the first booked day happens. As I said I'm really considering it but I don't want to jump the gun until we know for sure its not going to be to be too much of a hassle. But so far so good obviously and by the time we have to renew the window will be open through early August so we'll know if its worth it or not by then.

mickEblu

Wow that is great news! So they do shade the days for actual members. That's all that matters really. Didn't realize you had brought it. Well then definitely keep us informed when the first booked day happens. As I said I'm really considering it but I don't want to jump the gun until we know for sure its not going to be to be too much of a hassle. But so far so good obviously and by the time we have to renew the window will be open through early August so we'll know if its worth it or not by then.

I’ll keep you posted. It makes sense for you to wait. For me it was kind of a no brainer to upgrade from the So Cal Select since I just bought our passes in March and will now have access to SWL this summer.

mickEblu

Looks like they fixed that issue @fctiger

9895AB2F-451B-4120-A1B0-D442C059906F.png
[

Wolffjd3

Can anyone that bought the pass post a picture of what September is like? I'm getting ready to buy the pass but someone posted a picture a few weeks ago and it showed days already full.

JD2000

If you choose to upgrade your Passport, you must choose a Passport of greater value than your original Passport, and the difference in prices is due on the day of the upgrade. Downgrades are not allowed.
I would assume this may have something to do with the current availability of reservations. Either people are unable to pay the difference upfront (i.e. rely on monthly payments) or already hold a deluxe (i.e. unable to downgrade) or signature passport (i.e. can already visit those days).

Last edited:

mickEblu

The more people that buy Flexpass the more Disney can block them out when they want to. The illusion of freedom is brilliant.

It works great for me who only goes about once a month anyway. Also if there was ever a year to buy it, it was the first year it became available. Gotta know how to work the system to your advantage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting. Looks like they re already planning on breaking down the Flex Pass into different tiers. As some of us thought, it seems like the future of APs are going to just be different levels of the Flex Pass with maybe the exception of Signature Plus.

View attachment 396039

If so.. it's the start of the change that they've needed forever. Move APs to be about 'bulk admission pricing' and away from 'unrestricted, unlimited admission'

shambolicdefending

If so.. it's the start of the change that they've needed forever. Move APs to be about 'bulk admission pricing' and away from 'unrestricted, unlimited admission'

Short of permanently ending the monthly payment option, this is probably the best thing for those of us who dislike the AP infestation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom