News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

DrAlice

I think the reservation system sticks around for quite a while, if not permanently. If a pass system comes back, I'd bet it's MaxPass as it costs money.
Agree on both counts. I think the reservation system is an advantage for Disney to know how to staff each park and plan for food and mechandise ordering.

Disney was the only theme park that didn't charge for a front of the line pass. I think the days of free Fast Pass are gone for good.

ToTBellHop

Currently, 43% of America is Fully Vaccinated

Tomorrow, we'll see the % of Disneyland guests who are Fully Vaccinated. I'm guessing it will be at least 80%.

I'll remain one of the "snowflakes" that continues to wear a mask in many public settings for a while longer, even though I've gotten my shots. Thankfully I can go back to using vented N95 masks again, since it's much easier to breathe with them.
A couple confounders: most visitors are Californians, where the rate is higher. Most are wealthy, where the rate is higher. You now need to have money and be computer savvy to visit the parks.

Stevek

Agree on both counts. I think the reservation system is an advantage for Disney to know how to staff each park and plan for food and mechandise ordering.

Disney was the only theme park that didn't charge for a front of the line pass. I think the days of free Fast Pass are gone for good.
Regarding reservation system...from this article https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202104/8175/

Potrock also promised improvements to the park ticketing and reservation systems and suggested that advance reservations may be here to stay at Disneyland.

"Having a reservation system more efficient than what you experienced, when you have to buy a ticket and then make a reservation and then link them... some number of weeks from now, you're not going to go through [those] three steps. That's going to get much more efficient for you, kind of one stop shopping.

"But having the ability to control capacity and maintain the optimal experience for our guests is actually really important. Now while it might be a little inconvenient [to make a reservation] - everybody wants to be spontaneous and all those kinds of things - it helps us operationally, to really understand how many rides we need to have operating, how many parades or shows do we need to have operating for how many people that we're going to bring into the park that day. And how do you think about what hours of operation [too], and so I think that's a vital tool.

mickEblu

Regarding reservation system...from this article https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202104/8175/

Potrock also promised improvements to the park ticketing and reservation systems and suggested that advance reservations may be here to stay at Disneyland.

"Having a reservation system more efficient than what you experienced, when you have to buy a ticket and then make a reservation and then link them... some number of weeks from now, you're not going to go through [those] three steps. That's going to get much more efficient for you, kind of one stop shopping.

"But having the ability to control capacity and maintain the optimal experience for our guests is actually really important. Now while it might be a little inconvenient [to make a reservation] - everybody wants to be spontaneous and all those kinds of things - it helps us operationally, to really understand how many rides we need to have operating, how many parades or shows do we need to have operating for how many people that we're going to bring into the park that day. And how do you think about what hours of operation [too], and so I think that's a vital tool.

Not sure I believe him. If this were true, they wouldn’t have bumped up capacity to 35% just because they could especially when they weren’t ready for it.

freebird72

I hate to break it to you, there is going to be hundreds if not thousands of people at Disney every day who are not wearing a mask and not vaccinated.

But you'll be vaccinated and have nothing to worry about.

(and if you have kids and are concerned, best to just stay at home)
This is why I just cancelled our reservations for the end of this week--because I have an 11 year old. I don't trust other people to be truthful about their vaccination status. Guess we wait until my daughter is vaccinated now. Bummer.

Jefro

Currently, 43% of America is Fully Vaccinated

Tomorrow, we'll see the % of Disneyland guests who are Fully Vaccinated. I'm guessing it will be at least 80%.

I'll remain one of the "snowflakes" that continues to wear a mask in many public settings for a while longer, even though I've gotten my shots. Thankfully I can go back to using vented N95 masks again, since it's much easier to breathe with them.
Isn't it funny how folks have had in the label like "snowflake" in spite of their deep concern for people around them. But the people that have no concern but for their own two square feet of Earth are somehow empowered as being without fear. But they, in conversations, seem to be the ones that have the most fear about the world around them and how it's all falling apart. Being in a place where a lot of people are wearing masks without grumbling because of their care for one another I definitely appreciate your carefulness.

Californian Elitist

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll answer your question, as I feel the same way SoCalDisneyLover.

To put it simply, I will continue to occasionally wear masks here and there for protection of health. Coronavirus alone, masks have helped me refrain from getting the usual sore throats and other illnesses that I get annually and also help control my allergies. I’m not saying I’m going to be wearing a mask all day forever, but I will now be keeping one on me at all times and will use one when I deem it useful and necessary.

ToTBellHop

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll answer your question, as I feel the same way SoCalDisneyLover.

To put it simply, I will continue to occasionally wear masks here and there for protection of health. Coronavirus alone, masks have helped me refrain from getting the usual sore throats and other illnesses that I get annually and also help control my allergies. I’m not saying I’m going to be wearing a mask all day forever, but I will now be keeping one on me at all times and will use one when I deem it useful and necessary.
My wife and I were just talking about wearing them on planes. They can talk all they want about the airflow, but planes are nasty.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I suspect you're going to see a greater usage of masks in this country during the cold/flu and even allergy seasons going forward. Something a lot of countries outside the US have been doing for a long time.

Californian Elitist

My wife and I were just talking about wearing them on planes. They can talk all they want about the airflow, but planes are nasty.
Exactly. All that filtered air really is nasty and I hate feeling like I’m catching a cold whenever I get off planes. I’m catching a flight this Wednesday and of course will be wearing a mask because it’s mandatory, but I’m going to keep wearing them years down the line. It ain’t hurt.

Californian Elitist

I suspect you're going to see a greater usage of masks in this country during the cold/flu and even allergy seasons going forward. Something a lot of countries outside the US have been doing for a long time.
I suspect the same. My allergies were really acting up last week when the winds in Los Angeles started rolling through. I remembered to wear a mask while out walking my dogs and it made such a huge difference.

I understand not wanting to wear masks. I wish I could live my life without having to wear a mask and 100% guarantee refrain from getting sick. Wearing masks aren’t 100% effective, but it helps. I get sick multiple times every year and this is the first year so far where six months have passed and I’ve yet to catch anything (hopefully I’m not jinxing it). I like not being sick. Mask it is.

ToTBellHop

This I can definitely understand, though I don't think I could do it myself. Planes are already so cramped and tight, and wearing something on my face just makes it feel even more compact. But the idea of wanting to wear a mask to keep yourself healthy, I definitely understand.

What I don't understand is the "I'm vaccinated but I'm going to wear my mask to protect others" kind of mentality. I mean that's a personal decision so I don't really care if somebody wants to go ahead and do that, but I just think it's strange and shows a lack of trust in the vaccine. The only reason I can imagine someone would is to virtue signal, like @Newtwo said. A mentality of "I'm a better person than these other people because I wear a piece of cloth on my face that does nothing because I have the vaccine," is a perspective of such arrogant pride and such belittlement of one's fellow man who does not wear that piece of cloth. If the goal is to showcase one's virtue, I can think of no worse way of doing so than by indulging in the vice of pride.

And, just to be very clear to @raven24 and @MansionButler84, I don't think either of you are in the second category, nor do I necessarily think @SoCalDisneyLover is, but I do think it's a category that exists and it's deadlier than any pandemic.
I’m not that fearful of germs. I just don’t want to get sick while flying to a vacation destination. One year we came to WDW for Christmas and I came down with the flu about 36 hours into the trip. There is a non-zero chance that it was the plane. Really sucked—sore throat for a couple days (with congestion) and then I lost my voice the remainder of the vacation. Now I bring Clorox wipes on every flight to wipe all the surfaces when I board. People used to look at me strangely. They don’t anymore. I’ve seen the perfunctory between-flight “cleansing”. Even during Covid, it isn’t impressive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom