News Disneyland Magic Key Program

Phroobar

Not sure how much this affects wait time but it seems a lot of people join the queue on multiple devices - like phone, laptop, desktop. I've seen people say they had 5-8 queues they joined and they'll keep them all open until they complete their transaction in one.
My sister does that. That is how she always gets concert tickets.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Not sure how much this affects wait time but it seems a lot of people join the queue on multiple devices - like phone, laptop, desktop. I've seen people say they had 5-8 queues they joined and they'll keep them all open until they complete their transaction in one.
Wouldn't this be likened to a self-fulfilling prophesy? In an effort to shorten their wait times, everyone is sitting in multiple queues thus increasing the wait times. 🤔

truecoat

The emotional side of me absolutely gets it because I love visiting SD, it’s beautiful and there’s tons to do, my practical side just overrules the emotional side when it comes to where to live.

What’s ironic is she’s more practical when It comes to travel and I’m more emotional, I spend like a drunken sailor on vacation…my practical side only shows up a month later when I’m paying off the CC and trying to figure out what we spent all the money on.

I thought you were talking about South Dakota. I finally figured it out as I went to San Diego once and wanted to move there myself.

Stevek

Nope, doesn’t make financial sense for us anymore.
The financial side isn't what we are worried about, it's the value/enjoyment we get out of it. I've truly come to realize that I can never have the experiences I loved for decades due to how the park visit and guests have changed. 50 years of visits and I never treated the park the way so many MK/APs do now. It was always about immersing ourselves in the environment, enjoying the attractions, fireworks and parades. It was never about hanging out and treating it like a visit to a shopping mall...where you just walk around, maybe eat, maybe have a drink and just basically clog up the walkways. Many of today's "unfavorable mix" (hope I don't offend any of the overly sensitive) have chosen to experience the park in ways many of us old timers could never imagine doing...which has quite honestly just made it miserable for me to visit.

Vegas Disney Fan

The financial side isn't what we are worried about, it's the value/enjoyment we get out of it. I've truly come to realize that I can never have the experiences I loved for decades due to how the park visit and guests have changed. 50 years of visits and I never treated the park the way so many MK/APs do now. It was always about immersing ourselves in the environment, enjoying the attractions, fireworks and parades. It was never about hanging out and treating it like a visit to a shopping mall...where you just walk around, maybe eat, maybe have a drink and just basically clog up the walkways. Many of today's "unfavorable mix" (hope I don't offend any of the overly sensitive) have chosen to experience the park in ways many of us old timers could never imagine doing...which has quite honestly just made it miserable for me to visit.
The financial aspect has always been the sole factor for whether or not we get passes, we go about 8-9 weekends a year on average so annual passes used to save us a ton of money compared to buying day tickets, now that the weekend APs are $1600 we’re close enough to the break even point it’s just easier to buy day tickets and avoid the AP reservation fiasco.

If I had to guess we’ll probably only go 4 weekends this year, partly because we won’t have APs, partly because area hotel rates have skyrocketed, and partly because Genie has changed the parks for the worse (in our opinion)… all combined we’ll spend less time there.

Disstevefan1

With the price increases, parking hassles, park pass reservations and blackout dates,
I really do think the days of hanging out and clogging the walkways is over.

Californian Elitist

With the price increases, parking hassles, park pass reservations and blackout dates,
I really do think the days of hanging out and clogging the walkways is over.
The wait time to renew passes was hours long.

The walkways will still be packed. The parks will be packed. There are plenty of people who will happily pay whatever Disney charges. No matter what they do, the fans will show.

CaptinEO

The wait time to renew passes was hours long.

The walkways will still be packed. The parks will be packed. There are plenty of people who will happily pay whatever Disney charges. No matter what they do, the fans will show.
I think it's an ingrained tradition in many people's minds.

I miss my days of showing up whenever I want at the park, but not enough to pay 1600 dollars and make reservations.

I miss Disneyland circa the 60th celebration. Many good memories.

For every person who has visited less due to decline in quality and increases in prices there is someone else to take their place.

Also most people don't care as much as a lot of the online fandom. I'd be willing to bet 90% of AP users will pay whatever Disney wants to charge and don't even notice the declines/cutbacks. And I don't fault anyone who gets a magic key and I can't fault the company for maximizing profits, it's a mutual relationship.

Californian Elitist

I think it's an ingrained tradition in many people's minds.

I miss my days of showing up whenever I want at the park, but not enough to pay 1600 dollars and make reservations.

I miss Disneyland circa the 60th celebration. Many good memories.

For every person who has visited less due to decline in quality and increases in prices there is someone else to take their place.

Also most people don't care as much as a lot of the online fandom. I'd be willing to bet 90% of AP users will pay whatever Disney wants to charge and don't even notice the declines/cutbacks. And I don't fault anyone who gets a magic key and I can't fault the company for maximizing profits, it's a mutual relationship.
It’s a combination of things. Definitely ingrained tradition/habit, disinterest in anything else, subjective value, and mental health. The last one, mental health, is a big one. They can be found online, but I met some of them in person when I worked at the park. They have an unhealthy and frankly disturbing obsession with Disney, and will do whatever it takes to satisfy their cravings.

I would agree that most people likely notice the things going on at the parks. As long as they can enter the parks and meet their favorite characters and ride their favorite rides, they’ll be content. The rest doesn’t matter. Disney knows this. This is why they can refer to their main fanbase as “unfavorable guests” and charge up the wazoo; they know that no matter what they say or do, people will purchase passes and show up anyway. They could refer to keyholders as “a$$holes” and they’d still be online, desperate for the opportunity to renew lol. Disney has already established their reputation, decades ago. This certainly helps. I agree that it’s a mutual relationship. The fans get their fix and Disney gets their money. Good for both.

I let my pass go in 2019. I also miss 2015 Disneyland and back, but it is what it is. I’ll drop in here and there when I want to, but not often. I enjoy talking about what’s going on at the parks, but I don’t necessarily want to go.

CaptinEO

It’s a combination of things. Definitely ingrained tradition/habit, disinterest in anything else, subjective value, and mental health. The last one, mental health, is a big one. They can be found online, but I met some of them in person when I worked at the park. They have an unhealthy and frankly disturbing obsession with Disney, and will do whatever it takes to satisfy their cravings.

I would agree that most people likely notice the things going on at the parks. As long as they can enter the parks and meet their favorite characters and ride their favorite rides, they’ll be content. The rest doesn’t matter. Disney knows this. This is why they can refer to their main fanbase as “unfavorable guests” and charge up the wazoo; they know that no matter what they say or do, people will purchase passes and show up anyway. They could refer to keyholders as “a$$holes” and they’d still be online, desperate for the opportunity to renew lol. Disney has already established their reputation, decades ago. This certainly helps. I agree that it’s a mutual relationship. The fans get their fix and Disney gets their money. Good for both.

I let my pass go in 2019. I also miss 2015 Disneyland and back, but it is what it is. I’ll drop in here and there when I want to, but not often. I enjoy talking about what’s going on at the parks, but I don’t necessarily want to go.
Totally agree with you on all points. What were the people with mental issues like? I guess like any fandom you can get crazies from time to time.

I only worked at Six Flags and besides one VERY strange crazy coaster enthusiast lady (who actually worked in the park) I never had to deal with those types thankfully.

The people with Disney obesessions who always visited the park, were they always well off financially you think? Or are there people who get in debt to go there?

I think it's good for people to know the online fandom who debates things on messageboards is not their usual customers.

Many are either rare visitors or APs who like you said just want to meet the characters and go on their favorite rides.

Me I like rides, shows, and restaurants. Sadly enough the decline in restaurant food quality is a major change Disney has made that deters my wife and I.

It seems Disney is catering to the instragrammable crowd with lots of sugar and food coloring.

We don't care about the desserts and specialty churros but loved having nice meals at Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe, Blue Bayou and Cathay Circle but those have all continually declined.

Recent yelp reviews show the fried chicken at Carnation Cafe is a third of the size of what it was 4 years ago. Blue Bayou's "Surf and Turf" with their mashed potatoes and vegetables is now just the "Turf" with only greens.

Unlike Genie+, you can't pay an upcharge premium to fix it either.

mickEblu

Totally agree with you on all points. What were the people with mental issues like? I guess like any fandom you can get crazies from time to time.

I only worked at Six Flags and besides one VERY strange crazy coaster enthusiast lady (who actually worked in the park) I never had to deal with those types thankfully.

The people with Disney obesessions who always visited the park, were they always well off financially you think? Or are there people who get in debt to go there?

I think it's good for people to know the online fandom who debates things on messageboards is not their usual customers.

Many are either rare visitors or APs who like you said just want to meet the characters and go on their favorite rides.

Me I like rides, shows, and restaurants. Sadly enough the decline in restaurant food quality is a major change Disney has made that deters my wife and I.

It seems Disney is catering to the instragrammable crowd with lots of sugar and food coloring.

We don't care about the desserts and specialty churros but loved having nice meals at Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe, Blue Bayou and Cathay Circle but those have all continually declined.

Recent yelp reviews show the fried chicken at Carnation Cafe is a third of the size of what it was 4 years ago. Blue Bayou's "Surf and Turf" with their mashed potatoes and vegetables is now just the "Turf" with only greens.

Unlike Genie+, you can't pay an upcharge premium to fix it either.

Has the food quality really declined? I don’t want to say I’m a foodie but I’m kind of a foodie and I haven’t noticed a decline in quality. I’ve been an AP off and on (mostly on) since 2013. If anything I’ve noticed an increase in variety of food as well as vegan/ healthy options. I think food quality has stayed more or less the same.

Portions have definitely gotten smaller though. I also wasn’t eating at table service restaurants as much from the mid to late 2010s so perhaps my memory is hazy.

CaptinEO

Has the food quality really declined? I don’t want to say I’m a foodie but I’m kind of a foodie and I haven’t noticed a decline in quality. I’ve been an AP off and on (mostly on) since 2013. If anything I’ve noticed an increase in variety of food as well as vegan/ healthy options. I think food quality has stayed more or less the same.

Portions have definitely gotten smaller though. I also wasn’t eating at table service restaurants as much from the mid to late 2010s so perhaps my memory is hazy.
I think in terms of quick service they've added a lot more and it was worse 10 years ago than it is now.

I mean strictly for sitdowns, it is also a problem at Disney World as well.

CaptinEO

I will say Disneyland upped their quick service game a lot and that's when people started going all in on it being a "foodie" place. I don't agree with that sentiment but good on Disney for changing this up in the 2010s.

I remember most places had such boring menus, lots of burgers and chicken nuggets.

mickEblu

I will say Disneyland upped their quick service game a lot and that's when people started going all in on it being a "foodie" place. I don't agree with that sentiment but good on Disney for changing this up in the 2010s.

I remember most places had such boring menus, lots of burgers and chicken nuggets.

Yeah they have really used their quick service game which is more important to me as we don’t sit down for table service every trip. You definitely don’t go to Disneyland for the food but for a theme park the food is pretty good for the most part.

Vegas Disney Fan

If we lived close enough for day trips we’d still have passes, even at $1600 it’s a great value if you are a frequent enough visitor.

In my 20s I lived about 20 minutes from Lagoon amusement Park and we went all the time, usually for just a few hours. Having unlimited access to a fun place is very therapeutic, nothing like a little fun to help you forget about a bad day at work.

People often describe Disney as escapism, like that’s a bad thing, but we all escape somehow, it’s just a matter of how. A lot of people have a bad day at work and hit the bottle when they get home, I’d argue going to a theme park is a healthier form of escapism.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom