News Disneyland Magic Key Program

mickEblu

Looks like lots of people are upset with the reservations now being booked up weeks in advanced for weekends, even for those that spent 1400.

They’ll have to tinker with this new system or release more reservations sporadically. I can’t imagine anyone would want to buy a Magic Key if they open the calendar before purchasing and see weekends booked out months in advance.

TP2000

They’ll have to tinker with this new system or release more reservations sporadically. I can’t imagine anyone would want to buy a Magic Key if they open the calendar before purchasing and see weekends booked out months in advance.

True. But I really do think they are starting very, very conservatively. And I can't blame them for that.

Heck, I could even get around to congratulating them on realizing this is a whole new world they've created and they better not mess it up by making all the same mistakes they made with AP's from 2009 to 2019.

A year from now I'm sure the availability calendar will look better. But for these first few weeks and months, their first Christmas, their first 4th of July, etc. they are being very conservative in order to not kill their new toy.

Dapale

This last week I was surprised to find the lack of availability to be totally honest. I'm one of those people who forked out a ton for that top tier pass but I'm not one of the people complaining because I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the pass. Plus, as you mentioned, using those 6 reservations by booking on every weekend is literally all you have to do, and I just keep one free incase I want visit sporadically. Hopefully they'll work on it a bit and improve the capacity for MKs. Especially since single day tickets basically still have full availability.

mickEblu

True. But I really do think they are starting very, very conservatively. And I can't blame them for that.

Heck, I could even get around to congratulating them on realizing this is a whole new world they've created and they better not mess it up by making all the same mistakes they made with AP's from 2009 to 2019.

A year from now I'm sure the availability calendar will look better. But for these first few weeks and months, their first Christmas, their first 4th of July, etc. they are being very conservative in order to not kill their new toy.

I agree with the sentiment but I think there is a fine line. Right now the first few Saturday’s in November are on the verge of booking up. If those dates start getting booked further and further out I imagine Magic Key sales will slow down. I think they will sporadically add new batches of reservations quietly as they have been pretty much doing since they reopened.

TP2000

I agree with the sentiment but I think there is a fine line. Right now the first few Saturday’s in November are on the verge of booking up. If those dates start getting booked further and further out I imagine Magic Key sales will slow down. I think they will sporadically add new batches of reservations quietly as they have been pretty much doing since they reopened.

Just thinking out loud here...

I do have to wonder what the pent-up demand for a Disneyland vacation is. Let's remember that Disneyland was suddenly closed for 15 months, and there has to be pent-up demand out there from casual visitors west of the Rockies. That's a booking and business scenario that no one ever could have imagined or planned for.

Perhaps these off-season weekdays and random autumn weekends already have more demand than usual from non-locals who will be flying in from Boise and Seattle and Phoenix? There were millions of vacations cancelled in 2020, and family vacation funds grew larger than they ever had before. There are likely families who wouldn't have spent the money on Disneyland in 2020 who suddenly now realize they can swing a trip to Disneyland instead of just going to the lake.

I wonder what the demand is from non-locals who would never consider a Magic Key? I bet it's huge.

mickEblu

Plus, as you mentioned, using those 6 reservations by booking on every weekend is literally all you have to do.

I thought this was true until today but looks like a few Weekend days in November are already DCA start days which means they re probably on the verge of being booked. If this holds up looks like we ll have to be a little more selective and book some dates further out. Which kind of sucks because weather is always a big factor for me.

I really think they ll release more reservations though or one can get reservations for a booked day if they check the app for availability every so often which is also kind of annoying but none of it is a deal breaker for me. I’ve been to Disneyland over 100x and I go to the parks about every 3 weeks (when I’m an AP). I’m not missing out on anything.

Dapale

a few Weekend days in November are already DCA start days which means they re probably on the verge of being booked
It's a rather annoying process, but I was still able to score "Start at Disneyland" reservations for this last Friday on Thursday night. You basically just have to keep checking back every 5 minutes and usually something pops up. Don't even try day-of visits though, have had no luck with them releasing anything on the day-of yet. They definitely are rolling out more reservations slowly on each day (and people are constantly cancelling and rebooking).

mickEblu

It's a rather annoying process, but I was still able to score "Start at Disneyland" reservations for this last Friday on Thursday night. You basically just have to keep checking back every 5 minutes and usually something pops up. Don't even try day-of visits though, have had no luck with them releasing anything on the day-of yet. They definitely are rolling out more reservations slowly on each day (and people are constantly cancelling and rebooking).

Right weekdays pretty much aren’t an issue. The jury is still out on weekends.

Right - In addition to reservations becoming available due to cancelling I believe Disney also releases more every now and then. We’ve seen it a few times over the summer. Although I’m not sure we ve seen a big batch of new reservations for a block dates that are booked since they’ve released the Magic keys.

waltography

Also people have to learn how to game the system. I’m not sure why any Dream Key holder (with 6 reservations available) wouldn’t immediately book key dates and/or all Saturdays 6 weeks out as those run out of reservations first. Unless of course reservations are running out more than 6 weeks in advance then that could be an issue.
This is what I've been doing - I bought the Dream Key specifically because of those Saturdays, and I'm sure most Dream Key holders are the same. I have no problem planning out my visits months in advance since I'd been conditioned to do so with the Flex Pass.

Even so, I'm still shocked at how quickly they filled up. I've got 2 dates in October, November, and December each so at least I've got the holidays covered but there's more folks who plan like me than I thought.

"Theme park reservations cannot be modified, but can be cancelled by visiting My Theme Park Reservations. If you’d like to cancel an existing reservation and book a new one, please first check on the availability of reservations for your new desired date and/or park."

Late reply, but what I've heard online is they've throttled reservations at the end of September because it's also the last few days folks with the SoCal 3-day ticket can use their tickets. They'd of course rather offer those reservation spots to those ticket holders than pass holders.

mickEblu

This is what I've been doing - I bought the Dream Key specifically because of those Saturdays, and I'm sure most Dream Key holders are the same. I have no problem planning out my visits months in advance since I'd been conditioned to do so with the Flex Pass.

Even so, I'm still shocked at how quickly they filled up. I've got 2 dates in October, November, and December each so at least I've got the holidays covered but there's more folks who plan like me than I thought.

Late reply, but what I've heard online is they've throttled reservations at the end of September because it's also the last few days folks with the SoCal 3-day ticket can use their tickets. They'd of course rather offer those reservation spots to those ticket holders than pass holders.

I imagine part of it is also just key holders who were sleeping on reservations suddenly planning many weeks out due to the holidays. It’s the pandemic toilet paper effect. A few people started hoarding which trickles down to the rest of us due to the fear of missing out. Granted, the system was designed with Dream and Believe Keys being able to make 6 reservations.

Stevek

I was able to book a day of for a weekday a couple weeks ago...I think I booked around 3pm.

waltography

I wonder what's the point they're gonna stop selling passes (if they'll even consider doing that). They're still running the charter key promo until October 30, which personally seems like a good time to pause Dream and Believe key sales.

I feel like the more passes that are bought, the slower the rate of purchasing becomes because we start seeing dates booked out further and further ahead.

Wendy Pleakley

I wonder what's the point they're gonna stop selling passes (if they'll even consider doing that). They're still running the charter key promo until October 30, which personally seems like a good time to pause Dream and Believe key sales.

I feel like the more passes that are bought, the slower the rate of purchasing becomes because we start seeing dates booked out further and further ahead.

The beauty for Disney is, they don't have to. These passes offer limited park access compared to the old AP program, and since that's a condition of the product, Disney can oversell and just say "too bad" when people can't go as often as they'd like.

The question is, will people stop buying the passes? I'm already seeing people complain online that they can't go to Disneyland twice a week due to availability.

mickEblu

Yeah I’m curious to see how they walk this fine line. Who would want to buy a Believe or Dream Key when you see weekends booked 2 months out? And yet they re still advertising the hell out of these. What gives? Do they add more reservations? Do they pause selling them? I was at the park on Saturday 10/2 and it was packed! If this is what Saturday’s are going to be like I want nothing to do with them and wish I went with my gut instinct of buying the Imagine passes.

I can’t help but think it was so busy because it was the last Saturday Believe Keys have access too until early November. I have to learn the crowd patterns all over again.

Californian Elitist

I got an email today from Disney encouraging me to buy a Magic Key.

-I can no longer show up on a whim/will now have to make reservations

-Because of the reservation system, I would only be able to book so many trips in advance

-I would be punished if I don’t happen to cancel a reservation (understandable, to an extent), and apparently I would have to show up in person to cancel? If that’s true, what’s that all about?

-Dates are getting booked up left and right

Bottom line, less perks for more money. Now why would I spend my money on something like that?

waltography

The beauty for Disney is, they don't have to. These passes offer limited park access compared to the old AP program, and since that's a condition of the product, Disney can oversell and just say "too bad" when people can't go as often as they'd like.
Oh I get that; a quick glance at Disneyland Facebook groups even has a lot of Disneyland apologists working overtime against folks who are complaining against the extremely limited availability one month out. At some point though it starts to feel like a scam - does Disney stop selling when park reservations theoretically sell out regularly for two months ahead? Three? Six? A year?

Yeah I’m curious to see how they walk this fine line. Who would want to buy a Believe or Dream Key when you see weekends booked 2 months out? And yet they re still advertising the hell out of these. What gives? Do they add more reservations? Do they pause selling them? I was at the park on Saturday 10/2 and it was packed! If this is what Saturday’s are going to be like I want nothing to do with them and wish I went with my gut instinct of buying the Imagine passes.

I can’t help but think it was so busy because it was the last Saturday Believe Keys have access too until early November. I have to learn the crowd patterns all over again.
I regret buying the Dream Key; I bought it thinking since it's so expensive, there would be less folks who would buy it leaving weekends about on par with weekday evenings (+ work makes it so weekends are the only times that really work). But given how busy the parks are, I'd have rather bought like 3 two-day park hoppers and spread out my time that way.

-Because of the reservation system, I would only be able to book so many trips in advance

-I would be punished if I don’t happen to cancel a reservation (understandable, to an extent), and apparently I would have to show up in person to cancel? If that’s true, what’s that all about?

Bottom line, less perks for more money. Now why would I spend my money on something like that?
I got the same email too, which is especially odd considering I already have a Magic Key. I don't think Disney understands how mailing lists work (or much of anything lately, really).

waltography

In related news, Disney has started cracking down on printed out Magic Keys. For context, since they were on sale it was a bit of a trend (on TikTok anyway) for folks to get blank PVC cards and print out their pass barcode on them to avoid paying the $20 paper pass and to have a personal printed out record in case the app fails (I understand that since then most folks have been able to get one for free, but I digress). This apparently led to a lot of discount abuse (shocker), and so now they're only accepting the pass on your phone (not a screenshot, but actually in the app) and officially printed paper passes.

It's a shame, considering I went through all the trouble to design and print out my own pass. 😂 It was super convenient at table-service restaurants so I didn't have to give CMs my phone or transcribe my number on the receipt.

IMG_5447.jpg

It would be so much easier if Disney just gave us cards like they used to. It's not like they don't all of a sudden have the equipment anymore.

mickEblu

I guess because it’s something to do and the idea of the perceived value being good. Yet it depends on the kind of visits. If all visits were like their last Saturday night it wouldn’t be worth the money for me.

Californian Elitist

I guess because it’s something to do and the idea of the perceived value being good. Yet it depends on the kind of visits. If all visits were like their last Saturday night it wouldn’t be worth the money for me.
Yes, it’s all subjective. I personally see this as a slap in the face and not valuable for other reasons other than the ones I mentioned earlier, but others of course see it differently and that’s okay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom