News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Mouse Trap

Nobody ever said you shouldn't have it. But, of course, now you won't have it anymore. So, ya know...

There's a reason my wife and I voluntarily removed ourselves from California residency. You summarized it well.

Feel bad? Of course not. Nor will myself and others feel bad for chuckling every time we hear a former AP holder complain.

Yikes... what's got you so bitter today. Never having a Disney AP got you bothered?

SoCalDisneyLover

Nobody knows for certain what the new program will look like. No real rumors, just pure speculation.

But one thing most people seem to agree upon is that it's going to Suck compared to the old AP program.

MurphyJoe

That only really makes sense if there's some long term committment required. Disney wouldn't give up the $300 for two day park hoppers just to make the legacy passholders happy. So what would stop someone from walking up, buying into a membership for a month and getting a huge discount for their once a year trip?

Disney makes it so there's a 12-month commitment in the contract. Or the annual cost is due upfront for the first year then subscribers have the option of going monthly (at the current going rate) after that, or maybe it's an annual subscription only. For example, maybe it's $100 / month, but the $1,200 for the subscription period is due at once and then auto-billed to the account on file on the anniversary date.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wish all Disneylanders good luck…this could be one of those turning point days (and sometimes turn the car into oncoming traffic)

I’d be ok if they offered a pass that allows 1 or 2 visits a month with a reservation required.

that could work…hypothetically

This sounds terrible. I don’t think it’ll be anything like this. Do you really think people that used to pay $600 (in monthly payments) for nearly unlimited access will suddenly pay $600 for the opportunity to get 10-19% off. No way.

If the crowd out your way is as good at saying they won’t go/spend…but have no intention of backing it up like the Florida crowd? Yes…they think that and are correct.

Well its better than paying 100% for everything. Those discounts add up when you're talking about food and merch, not to mention tickets themselves.

Discount on crap aside…how would it handle entry and or rides? That’s everything. It its “welcome member” at the gate at smaller fee and then you spend based on “consumption”? It could work.

Discount program is just as good as any other idea I've seen here. Whether you personally see value in that or not is not relevant.

I don't even think the Flex pass will be coming back, that whole previous AP program was scrapped.

There is a reason why it was described by Potrock as a membership program instead of a new annual pass program. I see it more akin to the movie goer programs like AMC Stubs program where you get discounts and based on spending you get free stuff.
That is not realistic when you are charging $100 a head each day…there has to be away around the gate fee if it’s micro transaction City…

even the Walmart manager can’t be insane enough to try some open ended nonsense?

don’t quote me on that.

waltography

Oooh latest rumor is even better tbh.

Disney said they wanted to give us more flexibility... well they're giving it to us! The catch? Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay.

• Parking is an additional charge (no pass "includes parking" it must be added on)
  • PhotoPass is an additional charge
  • Fastpass is an additional charge

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • Advanced reservations required
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • The more you pay, the more advanced reservations you can make in a 30-day window
  • No monthly payments
  • Discounts will increase for the higher tiers
The only part I'm not buying is the lowest tier will be around $700 -- I thought $800ish would be the floor, but perhaps Disney is showing some mercy to folks with the removal of monthly payments.
This makes the most sense given the surveys circulating months ago that had a lot of pay to play/a la carte benefits. I remember filling a survey out myself, so I guess I'm glad the rumor is suggesting what amounts to the Flex pass for everyone.

Perhaps the most upsetting thing about this setup for me is if they separate PhotoPass and Fastpass as charges, since prior to this MaxPass (which combined both) was just a $99 extra charge on the AP. Parking being an add-on sounds like a distinct plus that wasn't available for lots of lower level passes.

SoCalDisneyLover

Is it too much to hope that there is a $700 pass, that basically takes over where the $650 Flex Pass left off. One that does not limit the # of visits, but does limit the # of reservations you can have at one time, to 2, just like the former Flex Pass did?

Doing that, eliminating the cheapest pass previously offered, and require full payment up front, would certainly price out a lot of people. Especially those with large families, used to the $450 pass with monthly payments, which enabled them to afford it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Discount on crap aside…how would it handle entry and or rides? That’s everything. It its “welcome member” at the gate at smaller fee and then you spend based on “consumption”? It could work.

If they go this route it could work the same way the old Magic Kingdom Club worked with discounts where you got x amount off on tickets, merch, food, etc. Or if they go the AMC Stubs type then it could work the more you spend the more "freebies" you get, like for every $100 spent you get a free hamburger, for every $1k spent you get a free 1 day pass, etc. Again those discounts add up and can help make a trip more affordable for larger families.

That is not realistic when you are charging $100 a head each day…there has to be away around the gate fee if it’s micro transaction City…

even the Walmart manager can’t be insane enough to try some open ended nonsense?

don’t quote me on that.
The AP monthly payment option was already considered a "discount program" to a lot of people due to all the discount you got on merch and food. So they've done it before with AP discounts and was able to handle it without issue. This isn't a new concept. It would just be packaged differently but ultimately the same type of discounts previously used if they go the route I'm thinking, just with the added benefit of "freebies" after x amount spent.

Anyways we'll find out what it'll be in about 20 hours.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they go this route it could work the same way the old Magic Kingdom Club worked with discounts where you got x amount off on tickets, merch, food, etc. Or if they go the AMC Stubs type then it could work the more you spend the more "freebies" you get, like for every $100 spent you get a free hamburger, for every $1k spent you get a free 1 day pass, etc. Again those discounts add up and can help make a trip more affordable for larger families.

The AP monthly payment option was already considered a "discount program" to a lot of people due to all the discount you got on merch and food. So they've done it before with AP discounts and was able to handle it without issue. This isn't a new concept. It would just be packaged differently but ultimately the same type of discounts previously used if they go the route I'm thinking, just with the added benefit of "freebies" after x amount spent.

Anyways we'll find out what it'll be in about 20 hours.
I’m not saying you’re wrong…

but both of those concepts are insane.

an installment plan is not a Discount. I looked up “Discount” in the dictionary and that isn’t it.
The entry is the heavy cost - not the crap. I get that is foreign to the Disneyland audience because of the legacy passes…but I wasn’t aware they were looking to spend an unlimited amount to go? Maybe.

the problem with “trips” and Anaheim is that’s not their AP market…it is in Orlando…but not California.

so “making Trips affordable” doesn’t really apply to that demographic. They want guaranteed baseline cost control…a “discount program” if not done delicately will explode…immediately.

Minthorne

CA0CB937-5140-4821-9266-EF0BF83457F0.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it too much to hope that there is a $700 pass, that basically takes over where the $650 Flex Pass left off. One that does not limit the # of visits, but does limit the # of reservations you can have at one time, to 2, just like the former Flex Pass did?

Doing that, eliminating the cheapest pass previously offered, and require full payment up front, would certainly price out a lot of people. Especially those with large families, used to the $450 pass with monthly payments, which enabled them to afford it.
I think you’re going low here…

everyone is rich and there’s no limit to Disney’s “value”…

SplashGhost

If Avengers Campus represents the quality of what future new stuff at the Disneyland Resort will be like, then charging over 1000 for a low tier pass is a ripoff and pure greed. I really wish Knott's would improve their ops and add high capacity attractions, if it did, it would feel like a more suitable Disneyland "replacement," and I would slowly lose interest in going to Disneyland if they continue down the path of offering less for more money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom