News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

SSG

Oooh latest rumor is even better tbh.

Disney said they wanted to give us more flexibility... well they're giving it to us! The catch? Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay.

• Parking is an additional charge (no pass "includes parking" it must be added on)
  • PhotoPass is an additional charge
  • Fastpass is an additional charge

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • Advanced reservations required
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • The more you pay, the more advanced reservations you can make in a 30-day window
  • No monthly payments
  • Discounts will increase for the higher tiers
The only part I'm not buying is the lowest tier will be around $700 -- I thought $800ish would be the floor, but perhaps Disney is showing some mercy to folks with the removal of monthly payments.
You want parking? Magic Key unlocks parking.

You want PhotoPass? Magic Key unlocks PhotoPass.

You want Fastpass? Magic Key unlocks Fastpass.

You want character meet n greets? Magic Key unlocks character meet n greets.

You want that new popcorn bucket? Magic Key unlocks that new popcorn bucket.

And so on.

Mouse Trap

You want parking? Magic Key unlocks parking.

You want PhotoPass? Magic Key unlocks PhotoPass.

You want Fastpass? Magic Key unlocks Fastpass.

You want character meet n greets? Magic Key unlocks character meet n greets.

You want that new popcorn bucket? Magic Key unlocks that new popcorn bucket.

And so on.

I mean... you're not too far off.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, there’s a ton of scenarios that will work for us but if the new program doesn’t work it’s not a huge deal either, Its a big world so we’ll have no problem finding somewhere to spend our vacation dollars.

I read a prediction it’ll be a monthly subscription service (like Disney+) and the subscription level will determine visits, something like $100 a month = 2 visits a month, $150 a month = 4 visits a month, $200 a month = 10 visits a month, etc… I could live with that, I could also live with a bundled pass… something like 20 visits for $1000…

Curious to see what they come up with but the fact we’ve already priced out WDW and DL Paris vacations in place of monthly DL visits says a lot about our expectations.

DrAlice

Modern Disney tends to overly complicate things. I'm guessing that this will be all former AP holders trying to figure out the best option tomorrow.

1627942428968.png

Mouse Trap

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, there’s a ton of scenarios that will work for us but if the new program doesn’t work it’s not a huge deal either, Its a big world so we’ll have no problem finding somewhere to spend our vacation dollars.

I read a prediction it’ll be a monthly subscription service (like Disney+) and the subscription level will determine visits, something like $100 a month = 2 visits a month, $150 a month = 4 visits a month, $200 a month = 10 visits a month, etc… I could live with that, I could also live with a bundled pass… something like 20 visits for $1000…

Curious to see what they come up with but the fact we’ve already priced out WDW and DL Paris vacations in place of monthly DL visits says a lot about our expectations.

I’d love this, but Disney seems keen to chase away the crowd that can’t pay upfront.

CaptinEO

I got it, for what it was worth. But about my only thought on this new program was "Ooh, I like that font." It's very 1978-1982, and reminds me of my old Magic Kingdom Club card.

Whoever chose that font and overall graphic design deserves a Starbucks run from his/her boss.

Other than that, I'm happy to just let this play out and see what I may, or may not, do with it later this year. But seriously, great choice on that font! :D

Magic-Key-16X9.jpg
It's funny I haven't gotten Legacy Ap emails ever, and after 3 years of not getting normal Disneyland emails I finally started getting them again a few months ago.

Disstevefan1

I’d love this, but Disney seems keen to chase away the crowd that can’t pay upfront.
A lot of companies are trying to create subscription programs. Look at Microsoft, now you must subscribe to Microsoft Office. Simplehuman sells trash cans and you subscribe for the bags.

WDW had payment plans for APs, I loved that. A subscription is the same thing. I would like that. it comes down to what the costs VS availability would be. Blackouts, park pass reservations, pay for fast pass, lets see what happens.

SoCalDisneyLover

48 is for the person who wants to go 4 times a month. 52 for the person who wants to go once a week which, lifestyle-wise, is not quite the same thing.
So the top priced pass, which used to let you in 365 days a year, for under $1,500, will now be $2,500+, and limit you to 52 visits/year?

I didn't have the top pass, but No Thanks. My Flex Pass allowed me to visit once a week, for $600. No way I'd pay over $2,500 for the same privilege.

shambolicdefending

I feel like it's my solemn duty to add another out-of-stater view to this thread.

I know people will be disappointed when this likely ends up being a much more expensive and much less useful program than the old APs.

But, I'm inclined to say, suck it up! Those of us not in SoCal have lived with the through-the-roof costs and huge planning headaches of Disney visits for a very long time. With all the kindness I can muster, I welcome all "legacy" APs back to the world of economic reality. We've missed you.

Mouse Trap

I feel like it's my solemn duty to add another out-of-stater view to this thread.

I know people will be disappointed when this likely ends up being a much more expensive and much less useful program than the old APs.

But, I'm inclined to say, suck it up! Those of us not in SoCal have lived with the through-the-roof costs and huge planning headaches of Disney visits for a very long time. With all the kindness I can muster, I welcome all "legacy" APs back to the world of economic reality. We've missed you.

Here we go again with the if I can’t have it then no one should crowd.

CaptinEO

Someone's jealous...

I'd all but guarantee that the socal locals getting the "cheap" disney admission are paying astronomically more in housing, payroll tax, sales tax, and gasoline. But yes, we have everything just handed to us in the magic land of California.

el_super

I read a prediction it’ll be a monthly subscription service (like Disney+) and the subscription level will determine visits, something like $100 a month = 2 visits a month, $150 a month = 4 visits a month

That only really makes sense if there's some long term committment required. Disney wouldn't give up the $300 for two day park hoppers just to make the legacy passholders happy. So what would stop someone from walking up, buying into a membership for a month and getting a huge discount for their once a year trip?

Californian Elitist

For real.

I didn’t care about non-locals and the money/time they spent planning when I was an AP and still don’t as a non-AP. Am I supposed to feel bad that I live close to the parks and don’t have to spend as much money and time planning? Because I certainly don’t lol.

CaptinEO

For real.

I didn’t care about non-locals and the money/time they spent planning when I was an AP and still don’t as a non-AP. Am I supposed to feel bad that I live close to the parks and don’t have to spend as much money and time planning? Because I certainly don’t lol.
I was just at Disney World last week and never did I think about those "local Floridians that have it so easy". It never even crossed my mind.

People can choose to live where they want and travel where they want.

Californian Elitist

I was just at Disney World last week and never did I think about those "local Floridians that have it so easy". It never even crossed my mind.

People can choose to live where they want and travel where they want.
Exactly. No one is concerned about where others have traveled from when they visit somewhere. For those who are out-of-state and don’t like the crowds, what about the family that’s just now getting to the parks on your third or fourth day-in-a-row? You’ve been there for days, you should think about those who are only visiting for one day or just got there for their first day, right? No. No one’s thinking about that. Everyone is thinking about themselves and how they want to maximize their visit. I’m never going to feel bad about be local to something that others aren’t.

shambolicdefending

Nobody ever said you shouldn't have it. But, of course, now you won't have it anymore. So, ya know...

I'd all but guarantee that the socal locals getting the "cheap" disney admission are paying astronomically more in housing, payroll tax, sales tax, and gasoline. But yes, we have everything just handed to us in the magic land of California.
There's a reason my wife and I voluntarily removed ourselves from California residency. You summarized it well.

For real.

Feel bad? Of course not. Nor will myself and others feel bad for chuckling every time we hear a former AP holder complain.

Jefro

Exactly. No one is concerned about where others have traveled from when they visit somewhere. For those who are out-of-state and don’t like the crowds, what about the family that’s just now getting to the parks on your third or fourth day-in-a-row? You’ve been there for days, you should think about those who are only visiting for one day or just got there for their first day, right? No. No one’s thinking about that. Everyone is thinking about themselves and how they want to maximize their visit. I’m never going to feel bad about be local to something that others aren’t.
Yep. From far away, I don't hate on those living closer in - if anything that is why I'm on here is to get the info from those who are more connected and have a more consistent history with DL. I probably am a weirdo but I enjoy the planning process and being able to get reservations and plan our visit.

Nevermind the fact I choose to live here in Hawai'i so most of the time no one cares how I feel anyway 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom