Disneyland is offering you a sneak peek at Pixar Pier – for a price- OC Register

TP2000

I hope no one buys tickets to this. They're clearly trying to test the limits of what people will pay, but Pixar Pier isn't even a good product.

Agreed that this has to have been a test. There was likely a thought that the Star Wars preview tickets would be in the $299 range, but a realization set in that they could charge a lot more than that for Star Wars previews and people would pay (especially after the modesly scaled Star Wars Nite sold out within hours). So they just went big on purpose, knowing the Pixar Pier product wasn't worth anything near $299, just to see if Disney fanatics and neckbeard vloggers are stupid enough to pay it.

If they get more than 500 people to buy these Pixar Pier tickets, it does not bode well for the future. But if it flops and only a couple hundred actually buy a ticket, it will succeed in bringing TDA back to reality and the $300 to $500 ballpark for Star Wars preview tickets.

But honestly, TDA has already succeeded by getting the word out and normalizing our thought process that you are going to have to pay big bucks for a Star Wars Land preview ticket. No more freebie AP previews and Cast Member family previews. Those days are over and TDA has normalized our thinking around that for the most part. TDA just won that battle. :oops:

I'm hoping no one goes to Pixar Pier either. At all. Like it's dead there.

I imagine the Pixar Pier Premiere party on Friday night will be dead as a doornail. Although when no one has bought a ticket by mid June they will pack that party with freebie tickets given out to neckbeard vloggers and TDA cubicle drones who did great work on their TPS reports this fiscal quarter. Just to prevent it from looking like a total disaster.

Then the next day the lines will be hours long. Especially on Sunday, June 24th when the AP blockouts are lifted that day.

21stamps

The group will be about 250. We are getting a very special industry rate. As a non-profit group, the parks and the Great Wolf spend "advertising/marketing" money since they expect us to talk up the parks (and hotel) to others.

But on average, each park will be open an extra 4 hours a day (2 hours prior to public open, and 2 hours after close), feed us, backstage tours, give us swag bags, etc. California Great America and Discovery Kingdom both gave us a full fireworks show, exclusive to us. They can't do that for $50 per person ($25 a day).

So basically the Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg is doing the same, waiving all fees they usually charge, and a welcome gift will be placed in each room. Our Banquet will be held there, and the cost to the guests is $50, but that includes picking up some extra dinners for invited guests (Speaker, etc.) is spread out to the paying guests.

Wow that sounds like so much fun! Enjoy!!

TP2000

Even if only 10 people paid for this, Disney is too big to admit defeat. They'll either open it up to CM's and other employees as a freebie, or just cancel the event and claim things still need some more adjustments.

According to Twitter, the celebrity party is the night before and the media previews continue through Friday morning. They won't have the option of pretending it needs another six hours of work during the party on Friday night.

They will have to pack the party with free tickets given to neckbeard vloggers and TDA cubicle drones who have kids. They would never admit defeat, even if all along this was just a perverse test of the waters for how much the market can bear for preview ticket prices.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

According to Twitter, the celebrity party is the night before and the media previews continue through Friday morning. They won't have the option of pretending it needs another six hours of work during the party on Friday night.

They will have to pack the party with free tickets given to neckbeard vloggers and TDA cubicle drones who have kids. They would never admit defeat, even if all along this was just a perverse test of the waters for how much the market can bear for preview ticket prices.
Yeah, cancelling seems like a dumb idea now that I think more about it. They'll just invite their co-workers to make it appear a success.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Heck, during multiple DCA 1.0 special events, they paid CM's to attend, they told them to get out of uniform and into street clothes. Some even got free T-shirts from the gift shops, just to make the press photos look full. I learned that game, and took photos from the press stand, and the alternate spots. Same way they do the Christmas TV special. Use free guests as extras first, then if needed, use CM's to match up the demographic they want to display.

Heck, they even position the press photographers to make the celebrities feel important. I got moved to a prime spot due to the professional camera I was using.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If it doesn't sell out and no one goes or there is minimal attendance, its not really a failure. In the business world we call it a data point. Disney will use it as a data point in which to price events like this in the future.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agreed that this has to have been a test. There was likely a thought that the Star Wars preview tickets would be in the $299 range, but a realization set in that they could charge a lot more than that for Star Wars previews and people would pay (especially after the modesly scaled Star Wars Nite sold out within hours). So they just went big on purpose, knowing the Pixar Pier product wasn't worth anything near $299, just to see if Disney fanatics and neckbeard vloggers are stupid enough to pay it.

If they get more than 500 people to buy these Pixar Pier tickets, it does not bode well for the future. But if it flops and only a couple hundred actually buy a ticket, it will succeed in bringing TDA back to reality and the $300 to $500 ballpark for Star Wars preview tickets.

But honestly, TDA has already succeeded by getting the word out and normalizing our thought process that you are going to have to pay big bucks for a Star Wars Land preview ticket. No more freebie AP previews and Cast Member family previews. Those days are over and TDA has normalized our thinking around that for the most part. TDA just won that battle. :oops:

I imagine the Pixar Pier Premiere party on Friday night will be dead as a doornail. Although when no one has bought a ticket by mid June they will pack that party with freebie tickets given out to neckbeard vloggers and TDA cubicle drones who did great work on their TPS reports this fiscal quarter. Just to prevent it from looking like a total disaster.

Then the next day the lines will be hours long. Especially on Sunday, June 24th when the AP blockouts are lifted that day.

You know that Pandora had no paid preview and nearly a month of free previews for APs and DVCs, right?

And that the pay-for preview for ToT:GotG:MB and Pixar Pier is just one night, right?

So, by that precedent, there *may* be *one* night of paid previews for SWL.

We'll see what they do for TSL...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know that Pandora had no paid preview and nearly a month of free previews for APs and DVCs, right?

And that the pay-for preview for ToT:GotG:MB and Pixar Pier is just one night, right?

So, by that precedent, there *may* be *one* night of paid previews for SWL.

We'll see what they do for TSL...

I think it was mentioned in the Pixar Pier thread (or maybe this one these threads all run together now), but WDW is a different set of guests. WDW is mainly tourists whereas DLR is mainly local APs. So the offerings and whether they are fee based events is going to be different.

TwilightZone

Does it really matter what other events cost in comparison to Disney's?

I see it all the time. People complain how much cheaper Knott's or Universal are. Great I say, so why not just go to those places instead? "But I like Disney so much more!"

Well, that's why it costs more, the demand is greater...

This is a lot of money to experience a re-themed area. They could probably do a full month of these hard ticket previews for Star Wars if they wanted to.
I just don't like that it is a weird 1 day only event, especially for a permanent place. Why not just visit later to see the land? It would make more sense to me if Justin Bieber was there or something as well.

D

Deleted member 107043

I just don't like that it is a weird 1 day only event, especially for a permanent place. Why not just visit later to see the land? It would make more sense to me if Justin Bieber was there or something as well.

I attended the opening of Captain Eo and the park operated for 60 hours straight without closing. I don't remember what I paid to attend, but the fact that I don't remember says it all.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/22/is-it-time-for-disneyland-to-begin-selling-alcohol-to-guests/

>>Disney still is not selling alcohol at quick-service restaurants or from carts in the Magic Kingdom, as it does at its three other parks in central Florida. But with every table service restaurant in the park now selling alcohol, one wonders how long Disney will keep Disneyland as the lone U.S. holdout against in-park public alcohol sales.

Tradition and nostalgia make a lot of money for Disney. But alcohol sales generate profit like little else in the food and beverage business. Ultimately, Disney isn’t running a museum here. It’s running a business, and Disney management demands that its business keeps making more and more money. Well-managed alcohol sales are helping Walt Disney World to do that. Restricting alcohol sales to table service restaurants allows the company to “tap” into a lucrative business without changing the walk-around culture in the park.<<

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom