Disneyland in Summer 2012

Coach81

Original Poster
So we are huge Disney Freaks (family and I), and we've been to WDW many times.. and love it..

A year ago.. the wife and I decided that if we could afford it.. we would make the trek to Disneyland to see where it all started.

Here is what I've heard:

1. We will be very disappointed, it is No where Near as big or as much fun as WDW.
2. Although it is not the same in size or scope, you will really "feel" Walt's presence.
3. You can do both parks in one day if you know what you are doing.
4. You can easily walk to throughout the entire area (both parks) with no bus transportation needed.
5. They have no Dining plan.

So I have quite some time to do my homework..

First question:

1. How many "new rides" will be up and running when we get there (probably some time in late May 2012)?

I welcome and would appreciate any feedback and info any of you Disneyland Vets can provide...

Coach

kapeman

I'm going to glom on to this thread since we are going next summer as well and I am a WDW pro, but a DLR newb.

I know we want to do the classics, Matterhorn, SM, etc.

Also, I plan on seeing World of Color.

When is Cars Land scheduled to open?

Any hints/advice on hotels or tickets?

Thanks!

jmoisa

:ROFLOL:Wow, looks like 2012 is the year for DL. I too am planning a mini trip.

I also have heard that its just a 2 day park.

We're squeezing it into a Grand Canyon, Vegas adventure.:wave:

kapeman

Yeah, for us it is a lay-over en route to Hawaii.

Nicole220

Here is what I've heard:

1. We will be very disappointed, it is No where Near as big or as much fun as WDW.
2. Although it is not the same in size or scope, you will really "feel" Walt's presence.
4. You can easily walk to throughout the entire area (both parks) with no bus transportation needed.
2, 4, and 5 are correct. But you won't be disappointed in DL. It isn't as big as WDW, but size isn't everything. It has so much packed into it and the quality here far exceeds WDW.

I wouldn't suggest doing the parks in one day. Take 3 or 4 days to really absorb everything. No less than 3 days.

Definitely be sure and do your homework on how to use the FP system for WoC.

Mermaid and Buena Vista street will be open by summer 2012. Carsland opens sometime that summer.

Stay offsite at a good neighbor hotel unless you're okay with spending the money on the Grand Californian.

Coach81

Original Poster

Yeah, my wife says we gonna try to visit Seaworld and perhaps other things as well while we are there...

I'm also going in Summer 2012 for CarsLand. :)

I hope it is complete by our trip.. It looks AMAZING!!!

2, 4, and 5 are correct. But you won't be disappointed in DL. It isn't as big as WDW, but size isn't everything. It has so much packed into it and the quality here far exceeds WDW.

I wouldn't suggest doing the parks in one day. Take 3 or 4 days to really absorb everything. No less than 3 days.

Definitely be sure and do your homework on how to use the FP system for WoC.

Mermaid and Buena Vista street will be open by summer 2012. Carsland opens sometime that summer.

Stay offsite at a good neighbor hotel unless you're okay with spending the money on the Grand Californian.

Thanks Nicole! Between now and then, and between myself and my wife.. I'm sure we'll have a FP system completely mapped out for WoC.. :)

We have DVC so we will hopefully get us a nice room at GC..

Thanks again.. anyone else please join in... any info/advice is appreciated!

Disneyfanman

So we are huge Disney Freaks (family and I), and we've been to WDW many times.. and love it..

A year ago.. the wife and I decided that if we could afford it.. we would make the trek to Disneyland to see where it all started.

Here is what I've heard:

So I have quite some time to do my homework..

First question:

1. How many "new rides" will be up and running when we get there (probably some time in late May 2012)?

I welcome and would appreciate any feedback and info any of you Disneyland Vets can provide...

Coach

I hate hearing negative stuff about DL, but the reality is that for folks that are very familiar with the size and offerings of WDW, going to DL can be a bit of a shock. The size of the DL park (compared the the MK) is much smaller and they have 25% more attractions and stuff to see. The energy at night is incredible, but along with that comes the feeling of being packed in a very tight space.

Over the years, due to business trips, I have been to DL many many times. Last year I took my wife and son for the first time (They have been to WDW dozens of times with me on family vacations).

They were, honestly, shocked by how tight and cramped the park was. The castle looks like a toy compared to WDW. Even though I prepared them for the differences, they felt less relaxed and enjoyed the trip less than WDW.

In the end though, they both wanted to go back. The atmosphere is so different between the coasts that I think you get caught up in the compare and contrast stuff, and it's tough to see through it. DL has so much to do, and so much to see that it really overwhelms you once you get into it. You can't see it in one day unless you race through the place and skip the smaller attractions, which are so much of DLs charm. And despite challenges to the contrary from folks that are really biased to WDW, the DLR is much better maintained. Much.

To really relax and enjoy the place with both parks and DTD, you need 3-4 days. You can see the major rides in two, but if that's all you do you are missing the real magic of the resort. There isn't a Dining Plan, but most of the restaurants are accessible through reservations or walking in. There is nothing like Epcot or the Animal Kingdom which are experiences unique to Florida. But if you are ready for the differences, the energy and atmosphere at DLR is so unique and exciting that you will enjoy yourself in a completely different way.

Coach81

Original Poster
Disneyfanman- Thanks so much for this post!!! I've heard all the negative comments.. and I'm learning how much "smaller" it is compared to WDW.. but reading your post confirms to me why I want to make this journey. I want to experience the park WALT BUILT.. I want to feel his presence... that is what I have also heard about the resort. Your post sounds like you echo this feeling.

cheezbat

As a longtime Disney fan and WDW visitor...I too had heard the comparisons and many people told me Disneyland wasn't as good as WDW. Once I visited DL though, I realized they were all just either biased towards WDW or had never even been to DL! I LOVED Disneyland resort in Cali. It's an amazing experience, and while it is a smaller resort, there is still so much there to see and do, and the Disneyland park has a charm you just don't find in any of the WDW parks. There is so much to look at, as well as so much to do in DL.
And now with all the work that's gone into DCA, I have to say that park is definitely becoming a worthy second gate at that resort! I really enjoyed my visit there last year, and cannot wait to go back in 2012 when Carsland is open!

Wilt Dasney

I don't like to give advice about DL, because I'm so geeked-out passionate about it, and I'm afraid of "overselling" it.

I'll just say that I don't see how it's possible for somebody who really "gets" Disney to be disappointed by DL. I've heard that the place went through some dark times in the '90s, so I try to give the benefit of the doubt to people who say they went years ago and didn't enjoy it that much.

There is so much there that I honestly think that a first time visitor (who loves the Disney experience) is cheating himself if he spends less than 3-4 days there. The first day or 2 is naturally going to be spent running to all the "headliners" and you really need an extra few days to just be there. Walk up little culverts, stop in the shops, explore! There's so much to discover, and a lot of it isn't on the guidemap!

It's a different kind of experience than WDW. To me, it's a lot more relaxing than having to catch buses and boats between hotels and parks to be at Spot X by dinnertime, then Spot Y for fireworks, etc. There's none of that at DL.

Also, the lack of dining promotions seems to be helpful for the more casual planner. I made reservations at Blue Bayou (probably the most popular restuarant on property) the week of my visit.

jmoisa

Thanks you all are helping so much.

I too am a Disney Fan and believe in the "experiance".

The parks are not amusment parks...they were built for a reason. I have tried to teach my kids about the purpose behind the meanings in the Disney Parks.

I save the amusement park attitude for places like Great adventure, and the like. Disney is Disney, its a story with each ride, and a different adventure each tme you go.

I look at the DL park as where it all began....and try to imagine what Walt's meaning was. smaller yes..original yes... disappointment....NEVER.

Coach81

Original Poster
As a longtime Disney fan and WDW visitor...I too had heard the comparisons and many people told me Disneyland wasn't as good as WDW. Once I visited DL though, I realized they were all just either biased towards WDW or had never even been to DL! I LOVED Disneyland resort in Cali. It's an amazing experience, and while it is a smaller resort, there is still so much there to see and do, and the Disneyland park has a charm you just don't find in any of the WDW parks. There is so much to look at, as well as so much to do in DL.
And now with all the work that's gone into DCA, I have to say that park is definitely becoming a worthy second gate at that resort! I really enjoyed my visit there last year, and cannot wait to go back in 2012 when Carsland is open!

Well Said!!! That is a great way to put it.. A "Charm".. that is basically what I've been reading.. thanks for your input.

I don't like to give advice about DL, because I'm so geeked-out passionate about it, and I'm afraid of "overselling" it.

I'll just say that I don't see how it's possible for somebody who really "gets" Disney to be disappointed by DL. I've heard that the place went through some dark times in the '90s, so I try to give the benefit of the doubt to people who say they went years ago and didn't enjoy it that much.

There is so much there that I honestly think that a first time visitor (who loves the Disney experience) is cheating himself if he spends less than 3-4 days there. The first day or 2 is naturally going to be spent running to all the "headliners" and you really need an extra few days to just be there. Walk up little culverts, stop in the shops, explore! There's so much to discover, and a lot of it isn't on the guidemap!

It's a different kind of experience than WDW. To me, it's a lot more relaxing than having to catch buses and boats between hotels and parks to be at Spot X by dinnertime, then Spot Y for fireworks, etc. There's none of that at DL.

Also, the lack of dining promotions seems to be helpful for the more casual planner. I made reservations at Blue Bayou (probably the most popular restuarant on property) the week of my visit.

Yes! Another thing that we are looking forward to.. not having to worry about "Catching this bus, or that boat"... Hoping that our visit can be just that- RELAXING!!!
Thanks for your comments.

Thanks you all are helping so much.

I too am a Disney Fan and believe in the "experiance".

The parks are not amusment parks...they were built for a reason. I have tried to teach my kids about the purpose behind the meanings in the Disney Parks.

I save the amusement park attitude for places like Great adventure, and the like. Disney is Disney, its a story with each ride, and a different adventure each tme you go.

I look at the DL park as where it all began....and try to imagine what Walt's meaning was. smaller yes..original yes... disappointment....NEVER.

Completely, totally agree with you :sohappy:

Coach81

Original Poster
Next Topic for Research- Must Dos Today

So.. I know that there are several new things that will be opening (hopefully all will be open when we are there in summer '12) when we arrive.. but for our discussion today..

What are the "must dos" at Disneyland currently? Of course looking for any rides unique to DL, and also any similar rides that are "somewhat different" at DL.

Thanks in advance!!!

TP2000

What are the "must dos" at Disneyland currently? Of course looking for any rides unique to DL, and also any similar rides that are "somewhat different" at DL.

Thanks in advance!!!

Fantastic questions! As a native SoCal'er and regular Disneyland visitor, and occasional WDW visitor, here's a listing of attractions unique to Disneyland (and DCA) that you won't find anywhere on WDW property in May, 2012...

Disneyland Unique Attractions
  1. Disneyland Story featuring Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
  2. Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon Diorama and Fantastic Primeval World
  3. Main Street Cinema
  4. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (original 1963 show rumored to be coming to WDW in '11)
  5. Indiana Jones Adventure (widely considered to be best E Ticket in American parks)
  6. Tarzan's Treehouse (the Robinson's moved out back in '99)
  7. Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (the pirates moved in back in '07 with lots of neat special effects)
  8. Sailing Ship Columbia
  9. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
  10. Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm
  11. Pinnochio's Daring Journey
  12. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  13. Casey Jr. Circus Train
  14. Storybookland Canal Boats
  15. Matterhorn Bobsleds
  16. Snow White's Scary Adventures (to be closed in WDW by '12)
  17. Alice In Wonderland
  18. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Diorama
  19. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
  20. Mickey's House and Meet Mickey Movie Barn
  21. Minnie's House and Meet Minnie
  22. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  23. Disneyland Monorail (more a ride than legit transportation)

DCA Unique Attractions
  1. Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! (dark ride with very long name)
  2. Hyperion Theatre Alladin Show (widely considered best stage show in American parks)
  3. Disney Animation (several exhibits/shows inside)
  4. Red Car Trolley
  5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
  6. Flik's Flyers
  7. Tuck N' Rolls Drive 'Em Buggies
  8. Francis' Lady Bug Boogie
  9. California Screamin'
  10. Mickey's Fun Wheel (stationary gondolas are tame and have great views!)
  11. Silly Symphony Swings
  12. Golden Zephyr
  13. Jumpin' Jellyfish
  14. Goofy's Sky School
  15. Little Mermaid Ariels Undersea Adventure
  16. Grizzly River Run (twice as long and more thrilling than Kali at DAK)
  17. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (DCA's Tom Sawyer Island)
  18. and if you are lucky with soft openings...
  19. Radiator Springs Racers (rumored to give Indiana Jones a run for its top dog status)
  20. Luigi's Flying Tires
  21. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Noticing a trend here? Yeah, the Anaheim parks are packed full of rides and attractions; much more than any WDW park, and Disneyland alone contains as many rides as two or three WDW parks combined. In 2012 when Cars Land opens, the Disneyland Resort's two theme parks will have just as many attractions as WDW's four parks combined. Not all of those rides listed above are major attractions, many are smaller spinning rides or theater presentations. But there are several big-budget epic E Tickets that are missing from WDW, like Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn, Indy, Radiator Springs Racers, etc. Not to mention a heck of a lot of smaller dark rides like Alice In Wonderland, Pinnochio, Mr. Toad's, Monsters Inc., Roger Rabbitt, etc.

And when it's time for you to experience Disneyland's more active and better themed Rivers of America section, I strongly recommend you travel it on a unique boat like the Sailing Ship Columbia or the Explorer Canoes.

Canoe%2001.jpg

As for rides that exist at both Disneyland Resort and WDW but that are noticeably different in Anaheim, here's that list;

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (see the missing 8 minutes of ride time that was cut from the WDW version)
  2. Haunted Mansion
  3. Peter Pan's Flight (far better technology and upkeep)
  4. Space Mountain
  5. Autopia
  6. it's a small world (another one with an extra 7 minutes of ride time)
  7. Star Tours (different queue and pre-show)
  8. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (several minutes longer with different sets)
  9. The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (better exterior in Disneyland, better interior in WDW)
  10. Tower of Terror (Many East Coasters miss the Third Dimension room, but I've always found that scene to be a tad hokey and unconvincing. See what you think in DCA!)
In addition, there's Splash Mountain, which I feel is about the only ride that is noticeably inferior to the WDW version. At Disneyland the logs are smaller and have narrow in-line seating, which I find to be more fun than the bigger side-by-side logs at WDW. But, the ride at Disneyland moves much faster and you fly through all the animatronic scenes. I honesly had no idea that Splash Mountain had a plotline or was trying to tell a story until I went on the WDW version in the mid 1990's. :lol: The drop is the same, and is lots of fun, but the storytelling and interior animatronic scenes are much better at WDW. Except for Splash Mountain, I think almost every other Disneyland Resort ride is just as good or noticeably better/longer than the WDW version.

The following Disneyland Resort attractions are nearly identical to the WDW versions as the same basic concept, and only differ in their queues and exteriors or physical appearance;

1. MuppetVision 3D
  2. It's Tough To Be A Bug
  3. Captain EO
  4. Astro Orbiter
  5. Main Street Vehicles
  6. Mark Twain Riverboat
  7. Frontierland Shooting Gallery
  8. Big Thunder Mountain
  9. Teacups
  10. Dumbo
  11. Carousels (one each in Disneyland and DCA)
  12. Soarin' Over California
  13. Disney Junior Live On Stage
  14. Innoventions
  15. Pixie Hollow
  16. Gadget's Go Coaster (AKA Goofy's Barnstormer)
So, you've got some research to do! Figure out which unique and noticeably different Disneyland Resort attractions interest you the most, and make sure you slot them in to your touring plans. Again, Anaheim's two parks are packed full of rides, shows and attractions, and there's no way you'll be able to see and do it all in just a few days. You'll need to categorize the rides and shows you most want to see, and plan accordingly. The basic online hunch is that Cars Land will be in soft openings by late May of '12, so there's also that to consider. Good luck!

Coach81

Original Poster
Here, here!!! I second Kapeman's comment..

Thank you so much for the informative reply!!! Gonna have to disect it to really get the full amount of info on it..

I am very excited to hear about the amount of rides currently offered at DL.. and I'm also very glad to see such a long list of different rides or experiences between the two parks.

This really has me excited!!!

Coach81

Original Poster
World of Color- Paradise Pier

Saw a miniature of a big wooden-looking roller coaster in "One Man's Dream" this past trip to WDW.. is that what we will be seeing at DL?

cheezbat

Saw a miniature of a big wooden-looking roller coaster in "One Man's Dream" this past trip to WDW.. is that what we will be seeing at DL?

I think what you're talking about is the model of California Screamin'. It's a long fun roller coaster at the California Adventure park.

I plan on taking a trip out there again this summer to experience all the changes going on at DCA...especially looking forward to Little Mermaid...and Star Tours II at DL.
Totally plan on heading back in 2012 for Cars Land too!
The Disneyland Resort is really getting the love. So worth going there over WDW for me right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom