Disneyland in a day...

imagineer99

Original Poster
So, I've been to Disney World a ton of times. But, being an East-coaster, I've never actually been to the park that started it all. Crazy, huh?

I'm making a trip to LA in early March with a couple of friends and I managed to convince them to spare one day of our trip to visit Disneyland. So, since I've only got one day at Disneyland (and I'm spending the night at the Howard Johnson's close-by), are there any tips I should heed? Any suggestions? Ways to do things faster? Things to skip? Etc...

Rufus T Firefly

Go during a week day. Arrive when the park opens. You'll be surprised at how much you can do in the first 2-3 hours. Use Fast Pass wisely.

Disneyfalcon

Rufus is absolutely right. Go on a weekday and get there when it opens. You can come very close to seeing it all in one day if you're there on a weekday in early March.

Stay on top of fastpasses and hit the non fastpass rights right away or during parades.

Peter Pan is crowded all day and there's no fastpasss.

There's no fastpass for Matterhorn, so I'd do it early just in case.

And of course if you want to ride the Nemo subs, go immediately after opening or right before closing.

You should definitely go!:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Definately use a fast pass for Indy, and definately go on Pirates you'll love it! Much different than wdw's. And like others said, get there early! Probably pre-order your tickets so you don't waste time getting those at the park.

nemofinder22

Hojos is a great hotel, I think you might even be able to buy tickets there too and save your self time from buying them at the ticket booths.

For must sees-
Dont miss Indy and you might want to check out Tiki room since its still the original. Jungle Cruise is down till mid-March I think i guess thats a no :)

Check out NOS but dont miss Pirates and Haunted Mansion, then make sure you hit Splash all three being the originals too.

If you like Fantasyland dont forget that theres Alice, Toad, Casey Jr; Storybook, Pinocchico all have resonable waits ,and the Matterhorn usually never gets longer than 30 mins, IASW is closed till Nov. 08.

Space and Nemo are a must you can grab a fastpass for Space and then dash for Nemo in the morning as long as there was no Magic Morning that day the line shouldnt be to bad, and even if it is the line usually keeps moving but what ever wait time is there add 15 mins for the ride time. By then the fast pass should be ready and you can use it or keep it for a later time as FP is valid all day after the return time.

Oh Rodger Rabbits Cartoon Spin worth it too.

As for attractions to skip I say these, Tarzan Tree house though if you have time its nice, Pooh, Star Tours, HISTA, Autopia, Innoventions, Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, Carrousel, Main Street vehicals, Character house unless you like to see them. Toon Town is a definate upgrade from Toon Town fair.

If time allows, DLRR, 50th movie, Tiki, Buzz is always fun plus the blasters arnt stuck to the car, Pirates Lair, Mark Twain (I think Columbia is only out on weekends).

If your going on a weekday theres no fireworks but POD is playing and Fri- Sun Remember is playing and a great show to not miss out on. If you dont want to wait a long time for seats check out ROA or Small World mall offer great seats with little wait for them only thing is you miss out on seeing Tink and a few of the castle sets. Fantasmic is down too I forget the return date.

Otherwise have a great trip! if your used to MK and the mass amounts of space you might be in for a shock on DL's scale but for DL being so small it packs in a lot of attractions.

Also dont forget to look up at the firehouse and you can see the light on for Walt.

primetime52

I've only been to DL once so I'm definitely not an expert..... but based on my experience you can definitely do it well in a day if you (1) go on a week day, (2) enter when the park opens, (3) use fastpasses wisely, (4) stay 'til it closes. As said earlier in the thread, you'll be surprised at how much you can get done before noon.

Also, being an east coaster will make it easy for you to get there when the park opens. I'm not a morning person but mornings at DL were easy for me. Arriving to the park at 9 am feels like noon!

Disneyfalcon

Could someone better define "use fastpass wisely?"

Get one immediately when you enter the park, then stay on top of what time you can get your next one. As soon as you're elligible for your next one, get it. Don't ride something first, get it. Have active fastpasses in your hands at all times!

Also, don't worry about return times. You can use your fastpass anytime after the window opens. It's okay if your return time was several hours ago. So don't worry if you're afraid you won't make it back to a particular ride in time. Get the fastpass anyway, and get back as soon as you can.

Now if it's a slow day this won't be necessary. On really slow days they don't even take fastpasses. We won dream fastpasses once and were completely unable to use them because they weren't running fastpass lines.

imagineer99

Original Poster
The big issue is that the only day that we are able to visit is on a Sunday (I know, it sucks). So, I'm expecting to have to contend with a ton of people...

Since DL is so much smaller than the Magic Kingdom, does that mean the park always feels congested? I'm picturing walls and walls of people...

Disneyfalcon

On a Sunday it will be crowded for sure. Will it be unmanageable? No. You need to stick to the advice of everyone here, with fastpass, getting there at opening, etc.

The good news is, it will be open later on a Sunday and you'll have more time to see everything.

You should still be able to see quite a bit, and have a great time!

Mr.EPCOT

As far as FastPasses are concerned, also do some research on which attractions aren't hooked into the rest of the system.

imagineer99

Original Poster
Just got back...it may have only been one day, but I had a great time. It's weird, but I still managed to get the same, familiar "Magic Kingdom" feeling even though it's a completely different park.

Indiana Jones rocked, Space Moutain is leaps and bounds better, Pirates is amazing (and much longer), and to top it off, I think "Remember...Dreams Come True" kicks the pants off of wishes. All in all, a good time...

swimmom

Can someone define weekday? The reason I ask is that we planned our trip Thursday to Monday mid-May, Friday being our first day in a park (DL). Are Friday's just like a Saturday or Sunday? And how is CA on a Saturday? Although we knew it would be more crowded on the weekends, we wanted to be able to see the Fireworks, etc. I too have never been to DL, but have been to WDW many times since opening.

Disneyfalcon

Friday mornings aren't bad but the crowd does grow as the day goes on. Saturday and Sunday are always crowded. The crowds are never as big at California Adventure so I'd save that for Saturday and go to Disneyland on Friday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom