disneyland hotels

murphy

Original Poster
I have never been to disneyland and I was just wondering how the hotels are there? Are they nice and how do they differ from WDW hotels. Has anyone stayed there?

msteddom

I have stayed at POR in WDW and the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian at DL. I would say that the rooms themselves are pretty comprable to eachother, although I've never stayed at at Deluxe WDW resort. so I might be wrong. The one major difference I noticed between the two was while the WDW resorts were true resorts with expansive grounds and lots of activities, the DL resorts are more like hotels that are located next to the parks.

Melissa

westie

We stayed at the Grand California. Its 3 or 4 stories high so it seems "homier" than the towers. We had a room that bordered on the park. As in our feet were above the crowds heads as we sat on our balcony! The hotel has its own entrance to the park and, disney has built its own version of downtown disney here as well. The restaraunts are great. Top notch. The other hotels, all within walking distance, have great restaraunts too. I guess thats my point, everything is within walking distance. Have fun!

cch

The best themed of the 3 Disneyland resort hotels is the Grand Californian. The guest areas, like pools, are much more limited than the WDW resorts. Disneyland Hotel does have a nice pool area, but the 3 towers are outdated and the main tower looks out to the parking garage in most of the rooms. You can get really good deals on the rooms on www.utell.com but make sure you book the premium views. They charge the same for standard as they do premium on that website. Generally 30% off Disney's rack rate. Book early though. Paradise Peir hotel is pretty decent for the price. Many rooms have an awesome view. Disneyland hotel is a pain to get to the parks from. Alot of walking. The monorail used to go directy to it, but when they added Downtown Disney and Calif Adventure, they rerouted the Monorail to Downtown Disney instead.

vilegirl

I was just at the Grand Californian last week.:) It's a nice hotel. Kind of like Wilderness Lodge with the big fireplace and huge lobby, but like others have said, it's more just a hotel...not so much a resort. Disneyland is so limited on space...they've done a lot with what they've got. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. I don't know which I liked better. Grand Californian is more convenient, but Disneyland Hotel has such charm. One thing "odd" about Disneyland is that I always feel that it's so much more chaotic than WDW. Like, for example, when characters are out signing autographs and taking pictures...there usually aren't many cast members around. And there aren't really any lines. Parents just kind of fight amongst themselves as to who gets to go up next. It's just so different to WDW when it comes to organization. But I love it there. California Adventure is great!

Have fun!
-Linda

Disneyfalcon

We're planning on staying at the Grand Californian in October. While looking at my Disneyland brochure I noticed Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotel listed a refrigerator as a room amenity while the GC did not. Does anyone know is it included? Is it an optional expense like at Disneyworld?

Thanks for your help. All of this infor about the DL hotels is great! I feel fairly knowledgeable about DW and yet clueless about planning our first trip to DL!

Pat X

The Grand Californian is wonderful. One of the best parts is the private entrance to Disney's California Adventure. Its directly across from Grizzly River Rapids. So if you managed to get soaked, you can easily walk back to your room, change, and be back in DCA in no time at all!

The rooms have a mini-fridge that is already stocked with various items. I don't think you can get a seperate fridge without getting charged.

Also, if you are a light sleeper, you may want to avoid the rooms on the lower floors above Downtown Disney. While Disney installed thicker glass to reduce noise, I could still hear the music and its on until midnight. I got used to it eventually. But, if you think that may be a problem, request not to be placed in one of those rooms.

Park hopping at Disneyland is so much more easier than WDW. Its one of the pluses about the resort. You don't have to think about transportation time like you do in WDW.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Disneyfalcon

Thanks Pat X. I do remember reading there is a mini bar. Do you remember if there is room for anything else in the mini bar fridge? Like a half gallon of milk? I'm not sure we'll need it, it's just useful for planning.
Thanks!

JackSkellington

Every time I have gone I stay in the Hilton, or Marriot down the street. They have good to great rates depending on the season. And check the Hilton I believe it is a Disney hotel, allowing you to enter the parks early. However watch out for both hotel's transportation. They were not very good when I went during Christmas/New Years 02'-03'. And we had to take a cab back to the hotel from DL because there was only one tram back to the Mariott after the park closed.

mom_rules

We stayed at the Grand Californian and loved it. Very convenient - decent restaurants (even the cafeteria style one by the pool). DL classifies all 3 resorts as deluxe I think. Several of our WDW trips were at deluxes and they are beautiful. WDW seems to have 3 classes of deluxes even-with Wilderness Lodge being on the lower end (I guess the further away from direct park access the less expensive in there books). The GC is very much the same as WL. You can request a mini fridge be brought to your room and they will accomodate you if one is available (since they are limited). We asked a couple of times and the second day we got one-they did not charge extra for the fridge.
Regarding the mini-bar fridge-the stuff in there is on some sort of sensor-as soon as you move something you will be charged for it even if you didn't eat or drink it. After the first day, we requested the mini-bar be locked and we gave them back the key. If we wanted a snack we went and got one ourselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom