Disneyland Hotel Paris - May 2024

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
As requested, a review of our 4 night stay.

We were lucky enough to stay at the renovated Disneyland Hotel. After all these years walking under it, we finally stayed in it.

First, the renovation works overall are beautiful. I didn’t really see the previous version and was worried it would be too “princessified” but they’ve done a good job. There were a few issues (elevator controls wobble, outside fountain still not working, shower drain needed unblocking) but overall it’s impressive. We booked 2 “standard” rooms with a quiet top floor request which we got - and one had a balcony:

IMG_0386.jpeg
IMG_0473.jpeg

decor was tasteful. We had the usual amenities; robes, slippers, coffee machine, kettle, free water and soft drinks in the fridge, safe, big TV behind the mirror as is the fashion. Nice bathrooms with separate toilet, no bath but wonderful showers with monsoon heads. Concierge and desk staff were very helpful - little touches like loading your luggage when departing. Beds were HUGE and comfortable. Multiple Euro and UK plug sockets, USBs (which didn’t work) and there is lighting everywhere. Daft things were nice like a solid door, real blackout curtains and soundproofed French doors blocking out Fantasia Gardens noises (geeky note- the BGM goes from quiet to loud at 730am when I was down there videoing!) Cast were all very friendly, from reception to restaurants, bar, pool and the shop. Quick mention of the pool - nice but quite small, and unlike the other pool resorts no outdoor section. Nice whirlpool though! Edit; having watched some videos of the interior and rooms pre refurb, we much prefer it now.

Buffet breakfast was good, if busy not long after opening. We noticed things like eggs were less runny than other hotels. Croissants were bigger. And so on. Mickeys Royal Banquet for lunch is the most expensive Disney buffet anywhere. The choice wasn’t as vast as other buffets on property but there was more than enough to stuff ourselves. Being a character buffet we got Mickey and Minnie, Pluto and Goofy. Some have complained of not seeing all of them, but maybe due it being mid afternoon we couldn’t get rid of them! All 4 came around 6 times and even came back to say goodbye. They may have been bored. Table de Lumiere is the posh evening restaurant. Food was nice, we got plenty of time with 3 pairs of characters who were bang on theme, and I have to say our waitress Afrika was wonderful. Again, very pricey per person. Worth it? If you like princesses and princes then probably. For the banquet buffet, maybe. We felt we got our moneys worth with the amount we ate, the setting, location and the character interactions, but it is expensive. Similarly, coffee in the bar is the most we’ve paid for a coffee with milk or latte, but service was great and where else do you have coffee on a balcony overlooking Fantasia Gardens? Like most other things, the fantastic location is a big part of the pricing.

The letdowns - Michelle’s keycard failed 3 times in a row. Eventually a very nice CM came up to the room to make sure it finally worked and save another trip to the desk. The free water in the room is limited to only 2 bottles per trip. Despite pre checkin we still had to join the usual queues. One room was ready at 3pm as stated, the other 8pm. We kept having to chase coffee and milk restocking. And the outside popcorn lighting already looks worse than ever; we hope there’s legal discussions with the supplier. Thankfully though the reported issues with luggage retrieval didn’t happen; all the bags were in the first room at 3pm, and on departure all were brought outside to us (one set having been brought down from the room for us when requested)

And so - is it worth it? The location is unbeatable. We really felt we were in an extension of the park. It’s a nice hotel. Everyone’s different of course but would we save and save to stay again? Not necessarily. It was a great experience and we’re lucky to have done it, but I don’t think the price is really worth the overall package. A lottery win and we’d stay there every time but we could have as nice a time -albeit with a longer walk - at Sequoia or Newport. Don’t get me wrong though. We did enjoy it. A lot.

Last edited:

Clemster

We're going to DLP this coming Thursday for 4 nights (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest Club). We last went 2022, whilst the hotel renovations were still on going.

Given hotel guests have their own park access, are the any restrictions around non-DLH guests going and having a look around after a day in the parks?

I'm curious to have a look around, was tempted to stay there but as we're going during half term couldn't justify the extra expense (Plus we've just booked our next 14 night Florida trip for next year!)

Off topic, did you get to see "A Million Splashes of Colour"? If so, how does it compare to "Dream... and Shine Brighter"? We absolutely loved that show and still regularly listen to the soundtrack when my Daughter is in the car! Does this show have the same evergy and buzz behind it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
We're going to DLP this coming Thursday for 4 nights (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest Club). We last went 2022, whilst the hotel renovations were still on going.

Given hotel guests have their own park access, are the any restrictions around non-DLH guests going and having a look around after a day in the parks?

I'm curious to have a look around, was tempted to stay there but as we're going during half term couldn't justify the extra expense (Plus we've just booked our next 14 night Florida trip for next year!)

Off topic, did you get to see "A Million Splashes of Colour"? If so, how does it compare to "Dream... and Shine Brighter"? We absolutely loved that show and still regularly listen to the soundtrack when my Daughter is in the car! Does this show have the same evergy and buzz behind it?
As of last week, there didn’t seem to be restrictions or times anymore for non DL guests to go in to look after 930am. Until that time you can’t reach the entrance since barriers ensure the hotel exclusive park entrance is maintained (after complaints a few months ago)

We did Million Splashes. It’s good. Very good, especially if stood hub central, but we all agree nothing will beat Dream and Shine despite being similar. Speaking of which, if you liked that, if I may:

Have fun! And don’t forget the new Alice show!

Last edited:

mrflo

Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad you had a great time and the chance to experience the re-imagined hotel.
One room was ready at 3pm as stated, the other 8pm.
8pm should not really be acceptable for any hotel - let alone a luxury-priced one. Did they provide you with any kind of compensation at least?

Are they still doing the turndown service? It always felt so nice and cozy coming back from an evening in the park to find your room made ready for the night - with the lights dimmed, curtains closed, the bed prepared and some chocolate coins.

There also used to be so much great art work from WDI decorating the main hallways. Did you still encounter some of those? From all the guest images I could only see those new character portraits and of course the one above the fireplace.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad you had a great time and the chance to experience the re-imagined hotel.

8pm should not really be acceptable for any hotel - let alone a luxury-priced one. Did they provide you with any kind of compensation at least?

Are they still doing the turndown service? It always felt so nice and cozy coming back from an evening in the park to find your room made ready for the night - with the lights dimmed, curtains closed, the bed prepared and some chocolate coins.

There also used to be so much great art work from WDI decorating the main hallways. Did you still encounter some of those? From all the guest images I could only see those new character portraits and of course the one above the fireplace.
Thank you. It was certainly a great time and we did pimp the hotel to death. I really should have gotten more sleep instead of running around an empty Fantasia Gardens and lobby with cameras at 630am and half midnight! To be honest the late room didn’t bother us whilst there so we didn’t pursue it until the post - stay communications. Since we had two rooms we used the other ready room for them to send all our luggage to (note - we didn’t see any luggage issues that have been reported in the past). We weren’t really inconvenienced since it wasn’t a hardship to go back to the turnstiles but had it been just one room or been a problem I’d have let them know at the desk. We did let them know about no coffee and milk refills; the main problems seem to be with housekeeping as opposed to the other hotel “things“ now. Still not ideal, especially as you say at this price point.

Turndown is reserved for deluxe level and above. We just got the bed made 😁 but it did mean we had the most wonderful back to the room arrival with just the balcony lights illuminating it. Very cosy:

IMG_0566.jpeg

From what I saw all the art has been replaced. I was worried the overall hotel feel would be too “princess” but its subtle enough to ignore it if you like. I would have liked a few more nods to Main Street but hey.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you try out the new bar at all? How did compare it to Cafe Fantasia? (I have a lot of fear from pictures 😂 )
We did, for coffee. I’m not disheartened by how it looks (IMHO it’s quite nice) but we didn’t visit pre makeover. Prices are a rip off, again you pay for where it is, but I can now say I’ve had coffee on a balcony overlooking Fantasia Gardens 😁. Cast were again very nice too.

IMG_1439.jpeg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We did, for coffee. I’m not disheartened by how it looks (IMHO it’s quite nice) but we didn’t visit pre makeover. Prices are a rip off, again you pay for where it is, but I can now say I’ve had coffee on a balcony overlooking Fantasia Gardens 😁. Cast were again very nice too.

View attachment 787493
Staying there for a few days next month. Looking forward. Thanks as always for the lovely photos and information...

SplashJacket

Would love for you to elaborate. I stayed once before the refurb and loved it for its original theme but it was horrifically outdated. Now I feel like it could be the opposite?
Horrifically modern?

I think not.

The finishes are tasteful and luxuriant without being drab or pretentious. It doesn’t look like a museum/artifact anymore without losing its charm. Walking through the halls, the details are very nice.

I didn’t take a photo of it, but there was a table with an ornate horse statue carving atop it. It wouldn’t have looked out of place in the pre-refurb hotel, but looks wonderful in the new environment.

Antiques look terrible and like grandma’s house when they’re everywhere, but using them as accent pieces make the space more interesting and evoke a different era without putting you in an old decrepit time capsule.

The hotel doesn’t feel princessy, it feels luxurious, royal, and elegant. It’s Disneyfied done right, where it’s Disney if you look for it, sophisticated if you don’t.

Overall spectacular job, if you want more elaboration on specifics, ask away, but overall no complaints.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Antiques look terrible and like grandma’s house when they’re everywhere, but using them as accent pieces make the space more interesting and evoke a different era without putting you in an old decrepit time capsule.
Well put. We found this with the HKDL hotel and also this one. They’re not everywhere, and using antiques / furniture to add interest to dead spaces makes it seem “classy” without overdoing it.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Well put. We found this with the HKDL hotel and also this one. They’re not everywhere, and using antiques / furniture to add interest to dead spaces makes it seem “classy” without overdoing it.
That’s always been my problem with The Grand Floridian: way too much clutter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom