Disneyland Half Marathon

imagination30

I know your not ! .... im mainly talking about the first timers .. that come out of the wood works to run .. when they haven't ran a 5k or any thing! and yes it all hype .. but do they know they can seriously injury them self ,
so sumrdog have fun and enjoy

Sumrdog

I know your not ! .... im mainly talking about the first timers .. that come out of the wood works to run .. when they haven't ran a 5k or any thing! and yes it all hype .. but do they know they can seriously injury them self ,
Thank you!

I see your thoughts on the newbies...I think people get all caught up in the excitement and they want to prolong the fun, thinking if some is good than more is better. Which isn't always the case. I will let you all know what I observe...

Sumrdog

$135 includes a park ticket. Without the park ticket it's $89. For pasta. STILL insane!!!

The Pasta in the Park Party at the Disneyland® Half Marathon features
  • Buffet Pasta Dinner & Dessert at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree inside Disneyland® Park (with cash bar available)
  • Music and Entertainment
  • Disney Character Meet & Greets
  • Twilight Ticket to Disneyland® Park (w/ticket option only)
  • Reserved Parade viewing on Saturday, August 30, 2014

If you purchase a ticket for the Pasta in the Park Party WITH a theme park ticket, you'll receive a Twilight Ticket to enter the party. This ticket can be used to enter Disneyland® Park for the Pasta in the Park Party anytime after 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 30, 2014. If not used on August 30, 2014 then this ticket will expire on September 6, 2014.

If you already have valid Theme Park admission on Saturday, August 30, 2014 then you should purchase a Pasta in the Park Party WITHOUT a ticket.
Utterly insane! I will be around the corner getting Waffles at IHOP for 10 bucks...

Maryssa*

Does this happen a lot? I literally only saw one person on the runDisney facebook say this. And I think it could be entirely possible if they have been working up to entering a race and have plenty of time now to follow a good training schedule. I think most people would be smart enough to not risk injuring themselves?

Texas84

I think I'm done with DL for a while. Maybe do an anniversary run in the future. Or if they add a new run/challenge. This year is all about Dumbo 2015.

imagination30

Does this happen a lot? I literally only saw one person on the runDisney facebook say this. And I think it could be entirely possible if they have been working up to entering a race and have plenty of time now to follow a good training schedule. I think most people would be smart enough to not risk injuring themselves?
it just don't happen with Disneyland its happened with the new dopey this year as well ..., it was funny watching the board last year ... we had a big discussion over this same topic ... its bc manly people think its Disney that its going to be a walk in the park .. go at your own pace type of event..

Mad Stitch

Disneyland annual pass holders got to register an hour early. I'm assuming there was pre-registration on Marathon weekend and Tink weekend again. There probably were not many spaces left after all that.

dreamfinder

:eek: OMG, that's crazy!

Even crazier...

Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend Welcome Event featuring Runner's World.
Thursday, August 28, 2014

5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m.

Kick off your Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend at the Welcome Event featuring Runner's World. The event will include a Question and Answer session with Runner's World experts as well as early entry into the OfficialrunDisney Merchandise area.

The Welcome Event features:

• Official Welcome from runDisney

• Question and Answer Session and Dynamic Warm-up with Runner's World Experts

• Official Welcome to California with a ride on Soarin' Over California

• One (1) hour early entry into "Official runDisney Merchandise area" on Thursday, August 28, 2014

• runDisney bag which includes a runDisney tech shirt and a Runner's World Magazine
Cost: 89$

So basically they take the pre-race meetup (which I haven't seen anything about recently, maybe it's now totally bloggers only?) that used to be free, and give you that hour early merch and charge almost as much as the 10K? Bah.

Dumbo Double Dare

• $320 by February 18, 2014
  • $345 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $370 on or after March 12, 2014

Wha? Dopey was $495 this year if I recall correctly. So $170 for a 5k, marathon, plus extra shirt and medal seems like a steal now.

There is a big difference between training for a half/full marathon, and training to run successive races back to back. There are alot of people who have never run before, never mind never having run a marathon before that sign up for the challenges. While I admire them setting the goal and going for it, its almost like someone who has never gone mountain climbing deciding to climb Everest. Yeah, you may be able to do it, but it's not recommended.

LindsayLoves

What is included for that crazy price? If it's just the food, that pasta better be made of gold! Is there a character meet-and-greet or some other form of entertainment? And $115 for kids?!?!

Price aside, after going to one pre-marathon pasta party, I will never do one again unless I know exactly what the menu is. Last time there was little I liked to eat, and I freaked out and left, searching for a local restaurant where I could get just what I wanted. I'd rather make a pre-Disney-race ADR at a restaurant where I know what I will get.

Agreed! There are so many fantastic dining options in and around the parks (if you don't want to pay for park admission) that it is crazy to plunk that much money down for a buffet with a M&G.

FerretAfros

There is a big difference between training for a half/full marathon, and training to run successive races back to back. There are alot of people who have never run before, never mind never having run a marathon before that sign up for the challenges. While I admire them setting the goal and going for it, its almost like someone who has never gone mountain climbing deciding to climb Everest. Yeah, you may be able to do it, but it's not recommended.
I can't speak for everybody, but my first big 'goal' event was Goofy a few years ago. I know myself, and if I had done the traditional approach of running a 5K, seeing how it goes, then a 10K, etc... I never would have gotten the training in. I'm just too lazy for that. But setting a big huge stretch goal like Goofy, I knew that I had to train to survive (and with how much I paid, I was going to survive, dangit!), and I did

Granted, I ran two half marathons (including DL) and a marathon as part of my 'training' for Goofy, so it wasn't my first big race. But if you're properly trained for a Half, I really don't think that running a 10K the day before is much of a challenge since it's only a couple miles longer than a typical weekday maintenance run; I see no reason why this couldn't be the first event for somebody who put the training in for it

Ariel484

Yes, very common as @imagination30 said. I've seen people on other boards say they've never run a step before and are signing up for Goofy...one guy even signed up for Dopey! It does work for some people (see below) but I know it wouldn't have worked for me. And I completely agree that people don't seem to take it as seriously because it's Disney. I follow (but don't post as much on) another board that has more people like this and they seem to have a LOT of injuries - stress fractures, etc. - that sound like overuse/doing too much too soon-type injuries in newer runners, but what do I know.
I can't speak for everybody, but my first big 'goal' event was Goofy a few years ago. I know myself, and if I had done the traditional approach of running a 5K, seeing how it goes, then a 10K, etc... I never would have gotten the training in. I'm just too lazy for that. But setting a big huge stretch goal like Goofy, I knew that I had to train to survive (and with how much I paid, I was going to survive, dangit!), and I did

Granted, I ran two half marathons (including DL) and a marathon as part of my 'training' for Goofy, so it wasn't my first big race. But if you're properly trained for a Half, I really don't think that running a 10K the day before is much of a challenge since it's only a couple miles longer than a typical weekday maintenance run; I see no reason why this couldn't be the first event for somebody who put the training in for it
Man...good for you. I think your situation is a little different because you ran 2 half marathons when you were training - at least you were familiar with a racing environment beforehand.

I took the opposite approach - I did a 5K, then a 10K, 10-miler, half marathon (2011 Princess Half), marathon (2012 WDW), then 5K + Goofy in 2013. I wanted to do Goofy in 2012 but I'm so glad I didn't. The mental component was such a huge part of Goofy for me, both during training and during the weekend itself. In training for Goofy I took the approach of "If I'm in marathon shape, I can do Goofy" (similar to what you say above for running a 10K + half marathon - I agree with you, if you're in half marathon shape you can do the "challenge") so I trained almost exactly how I trained for the marathon alone. Training wasn't as scary because I knew I'd done it before successfully. Then when it came time for the 2013 marathon the day after the half I knew I could do it because I'd successfully finished the marathon last year. I'm not sure it would have worked for me otherwise, so it's harder for me to understand that guy that's going from couch to Dopey in less than a year, ya know? Not judging at all, just not what I would do. :)

Ariel484

Half Marathon: Sold Out
10K: Sold Out
Dumbo Double Dare: Sold Out
5K: Sold Out

Kids races: Sold Out
Pasta Party: 94% full
Welcome Event: Sold Out :arghh::arghh::arghh: you've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!
ChEAR Squad: 52% full

I REALLY hope this "Welcome Event" doesn't become standard at other runDisney events. :depressed:

Figment82

Gosh those prices make me ill! We were thinking of going for Dumbo next year for the 10th anniversary, but I don't know if I could stomach that price for the 2 of us.

We're already thinking of cutting back and skipping ToT this year. We did the WDW Half a few weeks ago and will do W&D (crossing my fingers they'll have the special "Perfect" lanyards this year for the 5th anniversary). It's much easier for us to do the WDW races since we're right down the road, but with the way the prices and popularity have skyrocketed on both coasts, it's only going to become more difficult to participate. Makes me yearn for those pre-RunDisney days when races would take months to fill!

I heard there was no pre-registration at Tink this year. They did a pre-registration last week for APs and DVC members that filled up quickly, and then an early hour yesterday. If that's true, it makes it even more unbelievable that they could sell out so fast. Especially that welcome party!

a2grafix

Disneyland® Half Marathon

• $195 by February 18, 2014
  • $210 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $225 on or after March 12, 2014
Disneyland® 10K

• $105 by February 18, 2014
  • $120 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $135 on or after March 12, 2014
Dumbo Double Dare

• $320 by February 18, 2014
  • $345 between February 19 and March 11, 2014
  • $370 on or after March 12, 2014
Disneyland® Family Fun Run 5K

• $70 by June 24, 2014
  • $80 on or after June 25, 2014
runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by June 24, 2014
  • $25 on or after June 25, 2014
Pasta in the Park Party
With a Theme Park Ticket

• $135.00 for Adults (ages 10 and up)*
  • $115.00 for Children (ages 3-9)*
Without a Theme Park Ticket

• $89.00 for Adults (ages 10 and up)*
  • $69 .00 for Children (ages 3-9)*
* A theme park ticket is required to enter this party.

Welcome Event featuring Runner's World

• $89.00

And I thought $175 for registration for the 2013 Disneyland Half was expensive. Glad I decided on the Coast 2 Coast challenge in 2013. Wow.

a2grafix

I ate at that IHOP 4 times the week I was there. Now I want some chocolate chip pancakes.

My prerace night before meal consisted of eating at California Advenuture's Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. Hit the spot. Economical, too. I even ate at Bengal Barbeque a few times. Those shish-ka-bobs were tasty!

Katherine

@Maryssa* @Banzai @Sumrdog See you guys there! Doing my Dumbo Double Dare Double Take!

A newbie doing this challenge doesn't worry me half as much as a person doing Goofy or Dopey who hasn't run a marathon. I actually had a friend who did Dopey and it was his first Half and Full marathon but I knew he was a smart guy and very methodical so he'd stick to his training and not under sell himself on the challenge he'd signed up for. It really depends on the person and it all depends on how dedicated to training they are. As long as they train for the half marathon and put in a few weekends of back to back long runs, then they should be fine. It's all about the individual though. Would I recommend it? No, but everyone is different. My 2 cents.

worldtraveler

Am I reading this correctly, the Disneyland half marathon is sold out already?

Edit: just looked it up. Wow. Is this race that popular or something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom