Disneyland Australia, Open Brainstorming

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Hey, all! As promised (months ago), I'm finally going to start getting re-involved in armchair Imagineering, a hobby in which I have quite the strong passion for.

Back in my time at the now defunct Visions Fantastic, I conned the term "Open Brainstorming," a title in which can be used to describe any or all threads involving the armchair Imagineering community coming together as a unit to design something truly magical. The first of these threads was Disneyland Australia, an extraordinary work of art designed by myself, monkey4057, Big Disney Fan, MrPotatoHead, and several others who'd drop in from time to time. To this day, Disneyland Australia remains the most successful and expansive thread on VF to date, even if VF no longer exists. That being said, I'd love to revive the old resort and bring it to a new light - the light of WDWMagic.com. Let's look at a Disneyland Resort in Australia with new eyes! I'll get us started. Feel free to pitch in ideas and contribute! That's what open brainstorming is all about!

Disneyland Australia Resort

1. Disneyland Park: The main gate. A large Magic Kingdom-style park.
2. Disney's Earth: The second gate. A unique cross between Epcot and DisneySea.
3. Disneyland Hotel: The main and only hotel for the time being. HUGE and AWESOME.
4. Downtown Disney: You can probably put two and two together.

Naturally, we should start with Disneyland, the obvious heart and soul of the resort. Respectively, the park should have the following lands for sure, even if we spice things up a bit and go easy on the cloning and whatnot.

1. Main Street
2. Adventureland
3. Frontierland
4. Fantasyland
5. Tomorrowland

Notice how I left "U.S.A." out of Main Street's title. Well, that's because we should do something unique with the land's opening; perhaps a Hollywood Boulevard? An International Street? No long stretch of land at all? That can be where the unique changes start.

Let the Imagineering begin...now!

orlando678-

I have a question Disney's Earth. Is it like world showcase with different countries but a bit more spread, based on continents or something completely different?

wdwfan4ver

I think Beauty and the Beast Dark ride would be a great addition for Fantasy Land.

Here is my idea of a Beauty and the Beast Dark ride:

Scene 1: Shows Belle through Town singing "Belle".
Scene 2: Shows Belle refusing Gaston's advances.
Scene 3: Showing Maurice in Beast Castle with Belle offering to take her Dad's place.
Scene 4: Shows Be Our guest scene in Beast Castle.
Scene 5 : Shows Beast fighting the wolves for protecting belle.
Scene 6: Shows Beast giving Belle magic mirror and Belle sees her dad in trouble.
Scene 7: Shows Gaston locking up Belle and Maurice and heading towards Beast Castle.
Scene 8: Shows Gaston death scene with Beast dying with Belle professes her love to Beast.
Scene 9: Shows Beast and others turn into their original forms.
Scene 10: Shows Belle dancing with Beast in his human form.

Last edited:

comics101

What if Tony Baxter's Discovery Bay were used as an opening land?

Or something I've been toying with is the idea of a "World's Fairgrounds" opening land, with a layout similar to Shanghai's horseshoe layout, rather than an actual Main Street. The idea would be to take guests to a turn-of-the-century World's Fair, like Chicago 1893. Shops like the Emporium would still be present, as well as exhibits presenting the time period's future.

Also MEW, I know at some point when we worked on a project together awhile back, we discussed giving the railroad a time travel storyline. If you decided to go the World's Fairgrounds route, it might be kind of cool to set it up as HG Wells' time travel exhibit at the fair.

Last edited:

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Wow, all great ideas! Here are some of mine...tell me what you think...

1) We axe the second gate (Disney's Earth) and make our Magic Kingdom big enough to be a multi-day park, thus making it the sole park of the resort. I'm talking massive incarnations of the classic lands requiring sub-lands and whatnot. Three or four E-Tickets per land. If we go with this idea, picture something like this...

Main Street, U.S.A. (1920's theme? Turn-of-the-century theme? England theme? New York theme?)
Adventureland
Westernland
(Frontierland)
Folk Tale Forest
Discovery Bay
Fantasyland
Hollywoodland
Toon Town
(connected to Hollywoodland?)
Tomorrowland
Spaceport 55
(Sci-Fi-themed land to coincide with Tomorrowland)

Can you imagine how epic of a park that would be in sheer size and scale? We'd go ALL OUT of course. I'm talking massive amounts of attractions for the lands, multiple sub-lands, etc.

2) We go with two parks. Now that I think about it more thoroughly, Disney's Earth would kind of be redundant with all the global theming already found in Disneyland.

And those are the only ideas we have for now. So for the time being...one theme park? Or two?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
In regards to a castle, I have four possible choices off the top of my head...

1. Beast's Castle
2. Snow White's Castle
3. Storybook Castle
4. Small World Castle

To me at least, Rapunzel's Castle and Arendelle Castle wouldn't aesthetically work with the rest of Fantasyland, they're extremely large and an art style that would greatly contrast with the rest of Fantasyland. Naturally, Beast's Castle would be a great fit as it could allow so much creative capacity! Think about it - a Be Our Guest restaurant, a walkthrough of the Beast's Library and West Wing, possibly a dark ride, a Belle meet-n-greet, the Tiki Room-style Be Our Guest animatronic show, etc. So many endless possibilities. Snow White's Castle could work as it is the first and technically speaking the one that started it all. Storybook Castle, although a blatant ripoff of Shanghai Disneyland, would allow quite a lot of creative capacity as well. Small World Castle is probably the sketchiest choice, as the song might get annoying and the art-style might be kind of wacky in comparison to the main entrance. It also might be tricky having the show building for Small World underneath Fantasyland, as cool as that sounds.

orlando678-

I had two ideas actually: 1. Mythica, a land based on myths and legends. It could have rides based on hercules, atlantis and odysseus for example 2. Seven seas lagoon with attractions based on nemo, the little mermaid, sinbad etc.

Sam Magic

Where is this located in Australia? Sydney? Melbourne? Gold Coast? Brisbane? And how much land are we working with? I'm very interested in this I just need more specifics.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
The resort itself will most likely be located just a few miles off the borders of Sydney, so yes, the park will be located in Sydney. Since this is all fictitious, we have as much land as we need. :)

YES TO MYTHICA/SEVEN SEAS LAGOON! Why not combine the two and call the land "Mystic Seas" or something like that? We can make this a border between Adventureland and Fantasyland. Attractions could be...

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. Voyage of the Little Mermaid
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
4. Sindbad's Seven Voyages
5. Mythology Attraction

Sindbad's Seven Voyages is actually one of my personal favorite Disney attractions...both versions, the original dark version, and the newer musical version, so perhaps we could make a combo of the two. Mystic Seas itself, to avoid architectural contrast would be a rocky lagoon filled with ancient shipwrecks (from all different countries), makeshift structures made by archaeologists and explorers, thundering waterfalls, rushing rapids, etc. The looming shape of Skull Rock would serve as the land's icon, serving as the climactic final drop for Pirates of the Caribbean. Because of this, we'll nix Splash Mountain and Folk Tale Forest. Also, Adventureland can remain strictly jungle-themed as Mystic Seas would take on the Arabian and Caribbean settings. Since Folk Tale Forest is gone, the Haunted Mansion can make the move to Hollywoodland (which would eliminate Tower of Terror, an obvious threat to the castle's skyline), themed to the legends of "Haunted Hollywood."

As for Marvel...why not include theme in Spaceport 55? No one said no to a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. As for Space Mountain...my initial thought is to make it a DUELING coaster entitled "Space Mountain: INVASION." In this, riders are given a choice between two different styles of coaster, inverted and standard. The inverted would be themed to an army of aliens set on invading the earth, while the other side would be themed to humans, fighting back. This ride, of course, would be featured as the centerpiece of the sci-fi-themed Spaceport 55, whilst neighboring Tomorrowland focuses on the idealistic future.

Oh man, I'm so excited. So, our massive Magic Kingdom could be formatted as such...

Main Street, U.S.A.: South of the Hub
Westernland: Southeast of the Hub
Discovery Bay: East of the Hub
Adventureland: Northeast of the Hub
Mystic Seas: Between Adventureland and Fantasyland
Fantasyland: North of the Hub
Spaceport 55: Northwest of the Hub
Tomorrowland: West of the Hub
Hollywoodland: Southwest of the Hub
Toon Town: South of Hollywoodland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom