Disneyland and Disney World lay off 28,000 employees amid pandemic struggles - OCR/SCNG

mickEblu

While very sad I'd like to remind everyone here at this has been discussed on WDW side now for months. That even if DLR had reopened in July there was still going to be a massive layoff no matter what. There just wasn't a path forward to keep so many CMs on furlough until the end of the pandemic when tourism is back to 100%.

Tell that to the few thousand CMs who’s jobs could have been saved if they opened earlier.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tell that to the few thousand CMs who’s jobs could have been saved if they opened earlier.
This was touched upon in the other thread, but are you sure all or even a large majority of this 28k is coming from DLR? Since its unknown the distribution of layoffs between WDW and DLR we can't say for sure how many would have been "saved" had DLR actually reopened. Would it have been Thousands? Hundreds? None?

So while its nice headlines the reality (and its a cold reality) is that this was going to happen as Disney hit its new fiscal year, and likely in this large of number.

mickEblu

This was touched upon in the other thread, but are you sure all or even a large majority of this 28k is coming from DLR? Since its unknown the distribution of layoffs between WDW and DLR we can't say for sure how many would have been "saved" had DLR actually reopened. Would it have been Thousands? Hundreds? None?

So while its nice headlines the reality (and its a cold reality) is that this was going to happen as Disney hit its new fiscal year, and likely in this large of number.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say not all 28k are from WDW. I’m also going to go on a limb and say the layoff wouldn’t have been as bad if DL opened in July and Disney wasn’t still waiting for any sort of guidelines or word from the State on when they can open. It’s ok to drop the ole “we’ll never know” Schtick and just use some common sense once in a while.

DarkMetroid567

I’m going to go out on a limb and say not all 28k are from WDW. I’m also going to go on a limb and say the layoff wouldn’t have been as bad if DL opened in July and Disney wasn’t still waiting for any sort of guidelines or word from the State on when they can open. It’s ok to drop the ole “we’ll never know” Schtick and just use some common sense once in a while.
Not all 28k are from WDW (I expect DCL to be hit super hard) but I very seriously doubt Disneyland opening would have impacted this number much. Maybe it would have been 26k instead of 28k. The fact of the matter is that what Disney announced is what many industries are announcing; the bloodbath for aviation is coming up real soon, for example.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m going to go out on a limb and say not all 28k are from WDW. I’m also going to go on a limb and say the layoff wouldn’t have been as bad if DL opened in July and Disney wasn’t still waiting for any sort of guidelines or word from the State on when they can open. It’s ok to drop the ole “we’ll never know Schtick” and just use some common sense once in a while.
Actually I'm using more than common sense here, I'm using my business sense here. Sure some are coming from DLR, no doubt. But if you think this wasn't going to happen if DLR had reopened, then you don't understand corporations as well as I thought you did.

mickEblu

Actually I'm using more than common sense here, I'm using my business sense here. Sure some are coming from DLR, no doubt. But if you think this wasn't going to happen if DLR had reopened, then you don't understand corporations as well as I thought you did.

Alright. If you say so.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Alright. If you say so.
I've been hit by many layoffs over the years, and have been saved from a layoff. As a matter of fact I got saved from a massive layoff in my company just 3 months ago at the beginning of our fiscal year. So I know exactly how this feels, and exactly what happens at corporations.

mickEblu

Not all 28k are from WDW (I expect DCL to be hit super hard) but I very seriously doubt Disneyland opening would have impacted this number much. Maybe it would have been 26k instead of 28k. The fact of the matter is that what Disney announced is what many industries are announcing; the bloodbath for aviation is coming up real soon, for example.

Even with that conservative estimate, it’s still 2k people

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
So, the original link has been updated.

>>Are you a Disneyland cast member who has been laid off? Please reach out to theme park reporter Brady MacDonald to share your story using the email at the top of this page or on Twitter at @bmacdonald.<<

bmacdonald@scng.com

>>“The fact that our parks and hotels remain closed — at a time when almost every other industry has reopened — only compounds the situation at the Disneyland resort,” Disneyland resort president Ken Potrock wrote to employees in a letter. “But the reality is that once we finally do reopen, given the limited guest capacity in our parks and changes to our offerings, our workforce will likely need to look different.”

Anaheim city officials were saddened to hear the news about thousands of layoffs coming to Disneyland.

“Unfortunately, we’ve been warning of this for weeks now,” Anaheim spokesperson Mike Lyster said via email. “Without guidelines and a recovery path forward, we knew this would be the next shoe to drop. Sadly, there are many other hotels and restaurants in a similar position. They’ve furloughed workers, having done the best they can under the circumstances, and now face difficult decisions about what to do next.”<<

The City Council meeting is starting. Expected to be a long one, with 39 Commons and the Angel Stadium development on the Agenda.

Sorry I really haven't been posting, but have to focus on work first.

Even in Puerta Vallarta, a lot of my time was on the phone/computer, while Lisa laid by the pool and beach.

At least I got some good food, and even eat at a buffet one night. (Sirloin Stockcade).

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Jefro

I would push back a little on that - they won the PR thing for keeping everyone on by July and the first reclosure - at that point they could have started tiered layoffs if it was already part of the plan. I can't imagine the value cost of keeping them on for 3 more months at 28k x $x (x = the cost of the benefits they were still getting) as a public corp just because.

Disneyland68

Aloha,

So who blinked first? Gov. Newsom or Disney? Surely Disney informed Gov. Newsom of the consequences of not allowing DLR to operate in a reasonable C19 environment. Gov. Newsom apparently called Disney's bluff. Disney threw down the gauntlet. Does Disney have anymore cards to play to encourage Gov. Newsom to allow DLR to open with a successful business model?

planodisney

It’s just mind-blogging to me that people are willing to flush so much down the toilet until we can all feel extra, extra, super, duper cuddly and safe.
Look, if nothing else, the universities and public schools being back in session for weeks now without kids, teachers and college students dying in any significant numbers at all proves the way we shut everything down was a completely moronic decision. To still be championing having society be hiding behind locked doors at the expense of what many people are loosing is borderline grotesque!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom