"Disneyland After Dark" event series starting January 18

Stevek

This is the same garbage that they've tried doing the past couple of years at WDW and it's failed pretty badly from what I've heard online. They've lowered the price every year. That being said, folks out here may eat this up.

Here is the WDW version:

Admission to Disney After Hours can be purchased in advance for $119 per adult or child, plus tax—or purchased on the day of the event for $124 per adult or child, plus tax. Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members can take advantage of specially priced tickets for just $89 per adult or child, plus tax.

The event takes place 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM:

• Friday, January 19, 2018
  • Friday, January 26, 2018
  • Tuesday, January 30, 2018
  • Thursday, February 8, 2018
And 9:00 PM to midnight:

• Thursday, February 15, 2018
  • Thursday, March 1, 2018
  • Thursday, March 8, 2018

TP2000

Disneyland has announced that a salute to vintage Disneyland, titled "Disneyland After Dark", will begin January 18. Don't get too excited, though; it's an upcharge in sheep's clothing.

They get style points for using that old vintage logo, although it's really from the 1980's instead of 1960's. Still, sounds like this could be fun.

VJ

Original Poster
I mean this seems already like a far better event, with a theme, unique fireworks etc. Should be fun.
I'll be very, very surprised if the "unique fireworks" isn't the version of Fantasy in the Sky played for New Year's and the offseason.

TP2000

This is the same garbage that they've tried doing the past couple of years at WDW and it's failed pretty badly from what I've heard online. They've lowered the price every year. That being said, folks out here may eat this up.

Here is the WDW version:

Admission to Disney After Hours can be purchased in advance for $119 per adult or child, plus tax—or purchased on the day of the event for $124 per adult or child, plus tax. Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members can take advantage of specially priced tickets for just $89 per adult or child, plus tax.

The event takes place 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM:

• Friday, January 19, 2018
  • Friday, January 26, 2018
  • Tuesday, January 30, 2018
  • Thursday, February 8, 2018
And 9:00 PM to midnight:

• Thursday, February 15, 2018
  • Thursday, March 1, 2018
  • Thursday, March 8, 2018

My God. I just looked up that option on the WDW website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/disney-after-hours/

And it's nothing but a slimmed down version of regular park operation; just popular rides and some vending stands operating for three extra hours. For $120 per person?!? Then of course they ladle it with a meaningless title of corporate pablum like "Disney After Hours", and it perfectly represents everything wrong with current WDW management.

"Disney After Hours"? What on earth is "Disney"? The movie studios? The mall stores? The nature films? The cable channel? Oh, they mean Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. And instead they just lazily brand it "Disney".

No style, no substance, no sense of place. Typical WDW. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, in Anaheim, they go for a retro vibe and include live bands for dancing and retro fireworks and freebies and vintage park maps, and ask everyone to dress up for the event.

Take your best girl and your best look and head to Disneyland After Dark for a sparkling evening! Typical Disneyland. :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

*The Magic Kingdom

Magic Kingdom Park.

According to the website https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/magic-kingdom/

And the sign.
C6vv5vxWcAACdHJ.jpg

TROR

Is this what ol' Chappie was talking about at D23 regarding Yesterland? What a disappointment. I knew it wouldn't be a revival of an old attraction, but it's nothing but another nonsense after hours party for the rich that offers nothing special for $120. Only to make it worse, people will pay for it.

VJ

Original Poster
Is this what ol' Chappie was talking about at D23 regarding Yesterland? What a disappointment. I knew it wouldn't be a revival of an old attraction, but it's nothing but another nonsense after hours party for the rich that offers nothing special for $120. Only to make it worse, people will pay for it.
Subpar fireworks (which you can get most other nights of the year), live music (which you can get most other days of the year), a park map that probably cost them a couple cents to make and a lanyard which I guess is really the only value there. For at least $100. And people are going to eat it up.

Disneyland is going to the dogs.

TROR

Subpar fireworks (which you can get most other nights of the year), live music (which you can get most other days of the year), a park map that probably cost them a couple cents to make and a lanyard which I guess is really the only value there. For at least $100. And people are going to eat it up.

Disneyland is going to the dogs.

This alone would at least make it interesting, but why should they do something interesting like what Jenny suggests when the spoiled kids from the valley and Drake Bell will go no matter the offerings just to feel special?

VJ

Original Poster
This alone would at least make it interesting, but why should they do something interesting like what Jenny suggests when the spoiled kids from the valley and Drake Bell will go no matter the offerings just to feel special?
Why would people want that when Disney can prey on your nostalgia and exert the least amount of effort (and money) possible at the same time? The money prints itself! Even better if they can design some crappy retro T-shirts. People love those for some reason.

TROR

If the park was open from 10 PM to 3 AM and cost $85, it MIGHT be worth it, but this is such a scam I almost feel sorry for the suckers who purchase tickets.

VJ

Original Poster
But seriously, I'm only so cynical because Disney keeps making decisions like these. Why can't they introduce new offerings that are open to everyone? Disneyland has done events in the 70s and 80s like Blast to the Past that required no separate admission. But this is just a blatant cash-grab with no heart or care put into it and it kinda brings down my mood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom