News Disneyland After Dark 2022

Disney Analyst

Last night there was a burst of fireworks on the horizon from Disneyland. It didn't look like a normal show, it was only a minute or two of fireworks over the Castle. Was that it? The wind was calm last night, so I doubt it was a mid-show cancellation.

It was the Sweetheart Nite Fireworks

(The finale is from Enchanted, so I live)

This show debuted in 2020 I believe? Right before Covid shutdown.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I really enjoyed Sweethearts' Nite - it was well planned, well organized and well produced. Everything was set up in advance. Cast were informed and mostly informative. Special food was available an hour early. Character appearances were announced well in advance with locations listed on the map. There were a few quibbles but overall it was a solid experience.

Villains Nite was chaotic and just felt thrown together last minute - no info of what was happening where until 20 minutes before the party started and no information on the characters on the provided map - just had to find out as it happened and were told to just "check the app". Things being set up and cast being trained right before the party started. Nobody had any info nor would provide any info on what was going on. Felt like everyone was winging it and was a stressful experience overall.

And four hours is totally not enough time for these parties. These need to be five hours minimum or you miss a LOT of what happens.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'll add that I was sent very thorough surveys after both events and my response to Sweethearts' Nite was to note the couple of issues I saw, but was otherwise very positive/high marks. My response to the Villains event... was not.

Interestingly, the Sweethearts' Nite survey was fairly similar to other surveys I've taken after park visits. They seemed confident in the theme and the offerings' effectiveness. The Villains' survey seemed to recognize they had a lot to learn and solicited a lot of specific feedback about "should there be more of this or that" "Would you prefer" "Did you like or should we" "Were you aware" I got the sense they knew this wasn't a well-planned event and wanted to figure out how to do it better - or if they should even bother doing it again. Lots of questions on the theme and what was included for the theme.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney has announced a new After Dark event - Disneyland After Dark: Grad Nite Reunion.

Ticket prices start at $150 per person.

"Disneyland After Dark: Grad Nite Reunion will be offered on June 23, 28, and 30, 2022. Tickets will go on sale on Disneyland.com, beginning April 28, 2022, no earlier than noon PT.

Here are some of the details for what you can expect at Disneyland After Dark: Grad Nite Reunion.
  • Enjoy sightings of beloved Disney characters throughout the evening with a few favorites proudly wearing their cap and gown
  • March-along pep-rally style with some favorite Disney friends
  • Dance through the decades to hits of today and yesterday
  • Retro photo opportunities
  • Unique, cafeteria-inspired food and beverage offerings
  • Special after-hours access to most of the park’s attractions
  • Party attire encouraged. Don’t forget to show your school spirit! (Please read the Disneyland Resort Attire Guidelines).
Visit Disneyland.com/DisneylandAfterDark for additional details. Parking fees are not included in the ticket price. A limited quantity of tickets for each event will be available, so be sure to snag tickets as soon as they go on sale!"

mickEblu

“Cafeteria-inspired?”😬🤨🧐

Lol. I get it though. It’s kind of like how when I put that basic La Victoria salsa on my chimichanga at the park it takes me back to Elementary school but in a good nostalgic kind of way. It would be interesting to see if they could nail the actual flavors of cafeteria food as opposed to just selecting “cafeteria” items that taste like the other Disney parks food

mickEblu

@raven24 I’m going to need to see a menu full of crappy tamales, tater tots, instant eggs, crappy burgers with just a dry piece of meat and bun, sloppy joes and the terrible pizza we’d get on Fridays.

At least for the pizza and burgers they don’t have to do much. They can just cart them over from Galactic Grill and Alien Pizza Planet

Californian Elitist

Lol. I get it though. It’s kind of like how when I put that basic La Victoria salsa on my chimichanga at the park it takes me back to Elementary school but in a good nostalgic kind of way. It would be interesting to see if they could nail the actual flavors of cafeteria food as opposed to just selecting “cafeteria” items that taste like the other Disney parks food
For sure, I definitely get it as well. I’m just concerned about which foods they decide to go with lol. I guess you can’t really go wrong with a calzone. I’d be interested in a Disney version of the chalupa, depending on the ingredients they use. I could see Disney charging $7.99 for a basic carton of chocolate milk lol.

Californian Elitist

@raven24 I’m going to need to see a menu full of crappy tamales, tater tots, instant eggs, crappy burgers with just a dry piece of meat and bun, sloppy joes and the terrible pizza we’d get on Fridays.

At least for the pizza and burgers they don’t have to do much. They can just cart them over from Galactic Grill and Alien Pizza Planet
Not the instant eggs, PLEASE! The “burgers” at my high school were beyond terrible. Cold tater tots, EW. You’re not helping.

“Cart them over from Galactic Grill and Alien Pizza Planet.”💀

mickEblu

For sure, I definitely get it as well. I’m just concerned about which foods they decide to go with lol. I guess you can’t really go wrong with a calzone. I’d be interested in a Disney version of the chalupa, depending on the ingredients they use. I could see Disney charging $7.99 for a basic carton of chocolate milk lol.

Lol yes how could I forget the chocolate milk!? You remember that pizza right? It’s hard to describe. The dough had a very particular texture. Come to think of it I think it was just undercooked all the time.

Californian Elitist

Lol yes how could I forget the chocolate milk!? You remember that pizza right? It’s hard to describe. The dough had a very particular texture. Come to think of it I think it was just undercooked all the time.
The chocolate milk was never really sweet enough for my taste, but I always looked forward to it because it was one of very few things I actually somewhat enjoyed from the cafeteria. That pizza is hard to forget! It was too nasty to forget, and yes, I know exactly what you mean regarding the dough. Stiff, dry, and overall disgusting.

I can count on one hand of how many cafeteria foods I found to be delicious. The coffee cake, those chicken sticks, and the calzones (although even those were a hit-and-miss sometimes). Everything else was decent or just straight garbage. As you pointed out, Disney doesn’t make good pizzas, burgers, and other typical cafeteria foods that we already see in the parks. This is why I’m doubtful lol, but who knows?

mickEblu

Thinking about the terrible food in TL got me thinking, why cant they turned the ESPN zone into some sort of food hall like Grand Central market in LA? Or how about anything? I know there were rumors of Morimotos coming over.

mickEblu

The chocolate milk was never really sweet enough for my taste, but I always looked forward to it because it was one of very few things I actually somewhat enjoyed from the cafeteria. That pizza is hard to forget! It was too nasty to forget, and yes, I know exactly what you mean regarding the dough. Stiff, dry, and overall disgusting.

I can count on one hand of how many cafeteria foods I found to be delicious. The coffee cake, those chicken sticks, and the calzones (although even those were a hit-and-miss sometimes). Everything else was decent or just straight garbage. As you pointed out, Disney doesn’t make good pizzas, burgers, and other typical cafeteria foods that we already see in the parks. This is why I’m doubtful lol, but who knows?

Lol yes dry on the outside and yet undercooked on the inside. The worst of both worlds. It had a particular film on it. Like bad microwaveable pizza.

Hahah yeah I agree nothing was great but I think back in elementary I thought it was decent enough to scarf down. I didn’t have a real cafeteria where I went for high school.

As far as Disney they ve surprised me with a few food and drink items of late so I’m holding out some hope. Not that I’ll be going to this thing though. Now I’m wondering, is there food improving or am I starting to develop a taste for Disney food? The latter is concerning.

waltography

I don't know what districts y'all went to, the school pizza I had growing up was great. Honestly didn't hate cafeteria food, and I even miss the vaguely sweet, watery-but-not chocolate milk.

Anyways, I've been to bars and restaurants in LA with school-inspired gastropub fare and so I hope Disney goes that direction rather than serve us Sodexo food and call it a day (as immersive as that may be 🙃).

Californian Elitist

Lol yes dry on the outside and yet undercooked on the inside. The worst of both worlds. It had a particular film on it. Like bad microwaveable pizza.

Hahah yeah I agree nothing was great but I think back in elementary I thought it was decent enough to scarf down. I didn’t have a real cafeteria where I went for high school.

As far as Disney they ve surprised me with a few food and drink items of late so I’m holding out some hope. Not that I’ll be going to this thing though. Now I’m wondering, is there food improving or am I starting to develop a taste for Disney food? The latter is concerning.
I like the food in the parks, just not really the fast food. I can’t lie, Disney’s chicken tendies are not bad and I of course love the corn dogs. Other than that…👀

I’d like to know where you’re finding the other good fast food in the parks. I need both specific restaurants and menu item names.

Californian Elitist

Me aimlessly searching for good fast food at the DLR:

1E01B5AB-85AD-40B2-9F43-3DBC2EE3A8DA.gif

Californian Elitist

I don't know what districts y'all went to, the school pizza I had growing up was great. Honestly didn't hate cafeteria food, and I even miss the vaguely sweet, watery-but-not chocolate milk.

Anyways, I've been to bars and restaurants in LA with school-inspired gastropub fare and so I hope Disney goes that direction rather than serve us Sodexo food and call it a day (as immersive as that may be 🙃).
I’m glad you were spared. I was in LAUSD from preschool to my senior year. Trash food during that entire time. Should I ever have children, I will do my best to make their lunches myself.

Sodexo is pretty garbage. If that’s what the food will taste like, we are guaranteed not missing out on anything.

mickEblu

I like the food in the parks, just not really the fast food. I can’t lie, Disney’s chicken tendies are not bad and I of course love the corn dogs. Other than that…👀

I’d like to know where you’re finding the other good fast food in the parks. I need both specific restaurants and menu item names.

Hahah yea I actually find most everything to be at least decent. I eat too much food stuff outside the parks for my tastebuds to get tainted. With that said we all know Disneyland food gets graded on a curve. If something is a B in real life it’s an A at Disneyland because of the lower expectations and the fact that you re getting the ambiance bonus points.

With all of that said I have found a few items lately that I would actually buy outside of the park.

Philly Cheesteak - Award Weiners
This was on good bread. Meat wasn’t over cooked, cheesy and full of grilled onions and poblano peppers

Birria Tacos - Cocina Cucamonga
Better than other fast food Birria options I’ve tried. Crunchy, meat is tasty and consommé isn’t as greasy as usual. Its a cleaner version of the more authentic and down n dirty Birria. Also crunchier.

Watermelon Lemonade - Smoozies
This actually tastes like real watermelon. Like a slush version of a watermelon Agua Fresca but with lemonade too. Nice balance. It’s not overly sweet or overly sour.

Passionfruit Mint Julep- Mint Julep Bar. This is just a tasty and refreshing beverage. I’m not sure I tasted any mint other than the fresh mint garnish. It was so good I was able to drink it with my beignets. Usually I don’t do sweets with a sweet beverage but I was able to do it here. I usually do coffee, tea or water with anything sweet.

To your point there really aren’t a lot of great fast food options at DL proper. Most of the good counter service is at DCA. Outside of Plaza Inn and vegan Ronto wraps all the better options at DL are at the table service restaurants. The grilled cheese at Jolly Holiday isn’t bad but I’m not a fan of the tomato soup. I also tried the fried Bologna sandwich the other day and thought it was good. Almost tasted like a cubano due to all the pickles and mustard.

Of course Turkey legs and corn dogs are good but I can’t even do the Turkey legs right at DL becasue they don’t have the sourdough bread so I can’t make sandwiches. Haven’t had a corn dog in a while but I remember it being ok. Seemed like they were starting to go downhill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom