News Disney World's Magic Kingdom is experiencing widescale attraction closures this morning due to a bear

DisneyFanatic12

In all seriousness though, the black bear population in Florida is around 4,000, so this isn’t entirely surprising. I highly doubt that this is the first time that there’s been one on WDW property. Just the first time there’s been one in the parks, possibly.
I live next to Disney, and yes, their conservation land is filled with bears. You’ll see some at Fort Wilderness sometimes (hence the bear proof trash cans). There is a family of bears that likes to break into our school too… 🤣

brb1006

Where's J. Audubon Woodlore when you need him?
J._Audubon_Woodlore.jpg

Piebald

People who don't live here (or all the noobs moving here) really don't get how much wildlife we have. Where I live in Winter Park which is by no means some open wilderness I've seen bears, deer, fox, raccoons, gators, snakes, otters, armadillos, possums, skunks, bats, etc. In fact someone on my street has a gopher tortoise living in their yard and no one can do anything about it (he's cool though he just walks on the sidewalk back and forth doing whatever tortoises do)

Friend said they got a new neighbor from out of state and immediately started leaving food out for bears and they called FWC on them. That bear was dead the second they began to feed it, sadly.

I'm curious what Disney will do (or really FWC) because they usually don't just tranq them out of a tree and safely move them. This could become a big issue at MK lol

celluloid

People who don't live here (or all the noobs moving here) really don't get how much wildlife we have. Where I live in Winter Park which is by no means some open wilderness I've seen bears, deer, fox, raccoons, gators, snakes, otters, armadillos, possums, skunks, bats, etc. In fact someone on my street has a gopher tortoise living in their yard and no one can do anything about it (he's cool though he just walks on the sidewalk back and forth doing whatever tortoises do)

Friend said they got a new neighbor from out of state and immediately started leaving food out for bears and they called FWC on them. That bear was dead the second they began to fed it, sadly.

We had a gopher tortoise that would follow my sister and I home after getting off of school bus. And it was like a half mile walk where we were in the boonies. It was one of the coolest things.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The bear was spotted Monday in a tree near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland of Magic Kingdom, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

FWC biologists believe the bear was likely moving through the area looking for food, since this time of year bears normally pack on fat reserves for the winter.

FWC says usually the best practice is to give the bear space and time to move along on their own. However, FWC staff are working on capturing and relocating the bear, since it is in the midst of a theme park full of people."

celluloid

So did Disney enact and enforce its capacity cap since they apparently have billions invested in doing this? Or did they just keep letting people in with that many attractions and real estate closed off?

DisneyFanatic12

"The bear was spotted Monday in a tree near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland of Magic Kingdom, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

FWC biologists believe the bear was likely moving through the area looking for food, since this time of year bears normally pack on fat reserves for the winter.

FWC says usually the best practice is to give the bear space and time to move along on their own. However, FWC staff are working on capturing and relocating the bear, since it is in the midst of a theme park full of people."

It is interesting the noise didn’t deter the bear… must’ve found a path in from the conservation land that was quiet and it just never got spooked…

DisneyFanatic12

So did Disney enact and enforce its capacity cap since they apparently have billions invested in doing this? Or did they just keep letting people in with that many attractions and real estate closed off?
Legally, yes, the capacity would drop. But on a random day in September, they’re no where near capacity so it doesn’t pose an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom