Disney World vs. Disneyland

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I guess this is specifically for those who have been to bot Disney World and Disneyland. Now we all now the obvious differences. Disneyland has 2 major parks (Disneyland, California Adventure) while Disney World has 4 (we know them). Disneyland is more comparable to Magic Kingdom. Obviously Disneyland came first. And Walt set foot in it and was around for 11 years of it's existance.

But what are the subtle differences? Obviously many of the rides are the same but I have heard that Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland is significantly longer, as is the Haunted Mansion. Any truth to that? Also the Country Bear Jamboree is gone from Disneyland :shrug:

Also I know Anaheim has a little less to do theme park wise than Orlando. Anaheim area has both Disney parks, Knot's Berry Farms and Universal Studios Hollywood, but that's irrelevant.

But which park gives you the more magic feel to it? Which one is better?

magicmaya

ANOTHER DL vs WDW thread?! I've seen about 50 of those since I've ever been on these boards. I'll grab some popcorn for everyone...

nemofinder22

I guess this is specifically for those who have been to bot Disney World and Disneyland. Now we all now the obvious differences. Disneyland has 2 major parks (Disneyland, California Adventure) while Disney World has 4 (we know them). Disneyland is more comparable to Magic Kingdom. Obviously Disneyland came first. And Walt set foot in it and was around for 11 years of it's existance.

But what are the subtle differences? Obviously many of the rides are the same but I have heard that Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland is significantly longer, as is the Haunted Mansion. Any truth to that? Also the Country Bear Jamboree is gone from Disneyland :shrug:

Also I know Anaheim has a little less to do theme park wise than Orlando. Anaheim area has both Disney parks, Knot's Berry Farms and Universal Studios Hollywood, but that's irrelevant.

But which park gives you the more magic feel to it? Which one is better?

Theres many many threads on Disneyland vs. Walt Disney World and it always ends up the same arguments over and over:eek:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=514696

But the answer to your questions in bold are

DL and MK share many similarities but also share big differences one of the most notable is the size difference in walkways and buildings and overall park acreage. Pirates is longer in DL, HM is longer at MK. DL removed Country Bear Jamboree in Sept. 9 2001 and opened Pooh in April 11, 2003.

magicmaya

Theres many many threads on Disneyland vs. Walt Disney World and it always ends up the same arguments over and over:eek:

But the answer to your questions in bold are

DL and MK share many similarities but also share big differences one of the most notable is the size difference in walkways and buildings and overall park acreage. Pirates is longer in DL, HM is longer at MK. DL removed Country Bear Jamboree in Sept. 9 2001 and opened Pooh in April 11, 2003.

and their space mountain is better than WDW's...well, in my opinion...:lookaroun

the-reason14

I would definitely choose to go to DL if I were you, but not if you have to sacrifice a WDW trip for it.

The main difference really falls down to the magic kingdoms. DL is so small, thats the one thing I noticed immediately once stepping in past the turnstiles. The tunnels are so small that day light shines through, the train station feels as though its so low to the ground that you could jump up and get on it(atleast to me and compared to the MK)

Its a more laid back feeling at DL than MK. We got there at opening every day and compared to MK's opening with people running every which way, it was more of a leisure strolling down their mainstreet. Mainstreet and the whole park feels more intimate, as if its your park than MK does. The buildings and castle dont tower over you, and even though I had never been to DL up until this past July, it felt more like home than the MK would feel to a first timer.

And even though DL is so tiny compared to the MK, it has way more stuff to do. They have a better Fantasyland with more rides, the Submarines, Indy ride, and of course the Matterhorn. In all, I think its good idea to go to DL once. But just as long as your not sacrificing a WDW trip. Plus you get to see a wayyyyy better FL, Pirates, IASW, and thats about it. And you get to see the original park.

raven

Scroll to the very bottom of this page and you will see that several threads on this same subject have been discussed time and time again.

WDW Vacationer

Opinion. There is no answer. Some like WDW's size,some like DL better because it's so quaint. The each have good and bad things. I say go. It will be something different. It's the original-Walt's Baby.

LucyintheSky

I don't mind talking about subtle differences between the two resorts, but it always turns into people saying things like, "Ours is bigger", "Ours was first", "Our ___ is far superior", "their ___ stinks", "we win with this attraction"... It irritates me to no end when people talk like it's a competition. Both places have stong points and weak points. I love them both, and I'm glad they're not identical, and like someone else said, they each have their own unique charms. Please stop the East vs. West mentality.

rct247

It's hard to compare the Disneyland Resort with the Walt Disney World Resort, but easier to compare Disneyland Park with the Magic Kingdom Park.

In that case, Disneyland is better than Magic Kingdom. Otherwise, Walt Disney World is better than Disneyland Resort.

Read the other topics and you will understand why.

Jimmy Thick

Disney World is superior to Disneyland, there is much, much more to do and is more of a destination it itself than a simple theme park.

Disneyland has great attractions and some have subtle differences, but the main thing for me is my membership to Club 33.

If you have to choose, go to Florida.

fitzy2004

I have been to both parks and i enjoy both. They both offer different experiences. What I like about Disneyland is that it was Walt's park and you can truly feel the magic being there. However I basically grew up with WDW so it always feels like home. I say give it a try, everyone told me I would hate Disneyland but i got there and loved every second of it.

DisneyDreamer08

I have never been to DL but would LOVE to go someday. I too was curious about some of the rides there that are different from the rides at MK. One thing that I did was go onto You Tube. I would just search for a specific ride and someones home video would always pop up. One that I really enjoyed watching was the Storybook Land Canal Boats. So cute!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom