Disney World unfairly slammed for wages.

t3techcom18

I don't want to offend you, but you really need to get a clue. A company is not in business to make sure you get paid what you want. They are in business to make money.

It is your responsibility to find a job that you want, and make the type of money you want. It will NOT be handed to you just because you or someone decided to have a family or have bills to pay.

That's a great thing about this country, or at least used to be, if you don't like your circumstance, you get off your kiester and do something about it.

Very true, but for a company who is the largest employer in FL, they treat their employees, both financially, beneficially, and personally speaking, as dirt. Disney used to treat their CM's very, very well from what I've heard back in the 80's and 90's. Everyone used to get along, everyone was a personal level with management, no bickering, tons of freebies, tons of things to keep motivation and comradery going. Now? There is no things they give away for free, just stupid rice krispie treats that taste stale. There is no more Cast Holiday Celebration party as there was before. Managers aren't about helping guests and helping their fellow CM's with anything - now all they care about is the bottomline. They used to be a very big standard in how to treat their employees - not so much anymore, not at all. Everything now is business and consumer management, not mattering how they treat their employees or entitling to what benefits or extras they should have.

If this was, say, Six Flags, Dollywood, etc, yeah, you definitely can't make a living with those jobs unless you really love it; but Disney is a Fortune 500 company. There's no excuse for this kind of treatment, both to it's CM's, and to cheapening out on it's parks.

devoy1701

....Annnd you're forgetting several things to take into account. I understand what you mean. I mean, come on, my Dad has a Masters in Theater. WDW was supposed to be like that for him and many other people - a stepping stone or a temp job til you get into something else.

However, Orlando is mainly a theme park industry environment. When you take away the hotels, the restaurants, the theme parks...there's nothing. There's almost absolutely no way to get an actual career here, unless A), You're an entrepeneur, B), Work in the financial field, and C), In a vocational and/or professional job (ie, lawyer, doctor, etc). There's nothing else here in Orlando except for hospitality jobs and most of the jobs they mentioned in that article. Because of that, and mainly how my Dad wasn't able to get a job anywhere else (we traveled for it, Naples, Sarasota, Miami, to name a few), my Dad was forced to stay here at WDW. It's not only because he wasn't able to find anything, but more so, you start somewhere else and you obviously lose the pay rate you have from seniority and experience. So to those saying this shouldn't be a career, I agree - for some it is as a way of loving Disney, but for many, MANY full-timers, it is because they can't and aren't able to go somewhere else. While it is not the best, while the pay rate is bad, while the benefits aren't good - at least you actually HAVE something. THAT is what has many people staying here for.

Also take into account that Disney is the largest employer here in FL, and one of the most open usually. Many people think that everything is fine and dandy, but many people who get a job here get stuck in it.

So before you knock full-timers in there for being lazy, remember the people like my Dad, who work 7 days a week, doubles on weekends, with no stopping and no vacation for any of his family for several years.

Lastly, to whoever referenced my payrate of 7.35 and minimum wage being 7.25: Remember, this is my Seasonal payrate after FOUR years. When I got hired in 2007, the minimum wage was 6.67 for non-tipped, tipped was 3.65. That's how much the minimum wage here in FL sucks.

Minimum Wage increases because of inflation and the cost of living rises. Not because people just think its too low...normally anyway. The idea of a minimum wage is not to see how much money the state can force a company to give to their employees, its what is considered a reasonable amount to be able to afford to live in this state (albeit, not on a single income). This is why states like California and NY have higher minimum wages.

and in most cases, seasonal employees of companies are considered no longer employed with the company during their "off seasons" and "re-hired" when they come back. But you choose to go back to WDW working at that rate year after year so I guess you didn't hate it that much.

devoy1701

Very true, but for a company who is the largest employer in FL, they treat their employees, both financially, beneficially, and personally speaking, as dirt. Disney used to treat their CM's very, very well from what I've heard back in the 80's and 90's. Everyone used to get along, everyone was a personal level with management, no bickering, tons of freebies, tons of things to keep motivation and comradery going. Now? There is no things they give away for free, just stupid rice krispie treats that taste stale. There is no more Cast Holiday Celebration party as there was before. Managers aren't about helping guests and helping their fellow CM's with anything - now all they care about is the bottomline. They used to be a very big standard in how to treat their employees - not so much anymore, not at all. Everything now is business and consumer management, not mattering how they treat their employees or entitling to what benefits or extras they should have.

If this was, say, Six Flags, Dollywood, etc, yeah, you definitely can't make a living with those jobs unless you really love it; but Disney is a Fortune 500 company. There's no excuse for this kind of treatment, both to it's CM's, and to cheapening out on it's parks.

You know.....this is a BIG problem with things like freebies, parties, bonuses, contributions to 401ks, etc. They are not part of your pay, they are not part of your job description, they are something additional that a company is paying for that you should not expect or feel owed. You should feel happy when they do something like that, even if it's rare, not be upset because they never offer them. Be happy that you get "free Rice Crispy Treats!"

They really should make economics and business courses required in high school and college instead of electives. :brick:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
people are just lazy

Right. The 6 months I spent unemployed from December-May were because I'm lazy.

Not because there's a 17% unemployment rate where I live, and I was overqualified for every job I applied for. Unemployment benefits didn't even begin to cover the costs of printing portfolios to send to potential employers.

In order to get the job I have now I had to omit my MFA and ask my previous employer to list my title as Senior Graphic Designer for employment verification as opposed to Art Director (which as an executive title, would have overqualified me).

[/rant] The laziness excuse is overused and irrelevant.

mkt

Premium Member
3) They are sticklers for rules, not allowing any type of lineancy

leniency

Anyway, heaven an employee stick to their employers rules. Or that there be some consistency in enforcing them (has Disney improved in this regard yet?)

disney is one of the lowest paying employers in orlando

In an inherently low wage city. If I moved back to the US right now, in Orlando I'd be looking at $40k/yr if I'm lucky. In New York, Boston, DC, LA, SF, Chicago or Seattle, I'd be starting at $70k and would likely earn over $100k.

Hell, I'd earn more in Fargo, ND... and I'm earning more in Puerto Rico.

and you're right. My first job was at $5.35 an hour...so I got a second one too..and I did odd jobs for people when i wasn't working...all while going to school and maintaining a high grade point average! Go figure...

That's what I earned when I started at Disney 10 years ago.

t3techcom18

Minimum Wage increases because of inflation and the cost of living rises. Not because people just think its too low...normally anyway. The idea of a minimum wage is not to see how much money the state can force a company to give to their employees, its what is considered a reasonable amount to be able to afford to live in this state (albeit, not on a single income). This is why states like California and NY have higher minimum wages.

and in most cases, seasonal employees of companies are considered no longer employed with the company during their "off seasons" and "re-hired" when they come back. But you choose to go back to WDW working at that rate year after year so I guess you didn't hate it that much.

First, yeah, I get what you mean bout Minimum Wage, but for quite a while until I believe bout 1 or 2 years ago, FL's minimum wage was below the Federal Standard. It wasn't until the current administration that they brought every state's minimum wage to at least the Federal Standard.

Second, this is another reason why so many choose to get the Seasonal status.

Seasonal at Disney doesn't work the same way as many companies here do, such as SeaWorld. Once you're in the company as a Seasonal, you don't get re-hired - that is your permanent status throughout your stay with the company. You are never considered no longer employed whenever you are not available. You simply put as not available via a sheet you submit. You're requirement is to work at least 5 days a year and you'll be able to keep your benefits. In other words, like me and many younger people who have high school/college, and for those working, say as a teacher, during the regular year and have the summer months, this is a perfect replacement because you have total control over what you can do.

Seasonals have full control over what hours and what days they want. Part Time has control over days (pre-requisite 3 days, depending on management you might be allowed more or you might be mandated to only 3 days), but not the hours. Full-Time has no say in hours or days scheduled.

stewdog1

Benefits packages are a perk. They don't have to give you any of that.

This is a free market. If you don't like working there, you have every right to go somewhere else.

Mr. Morrow

Original Poster
....Annnd you're forgetting several things to take into account. I understand what you mean. I mean, come on, my Dad has a Masters in Theater. WDW was supposed to be like that for him and many other people - a stepping stone or a temp job til you get into something else.

However, Orlando is mainly a theme park industry environment. When you take away the hotels, the restaurants, the theme parks...there's nothing. There's almost absolutely no way to get an actual career here, unless A), You're an entrepeneur, B), Work in the financial field, and C), In a vocational and/or professional job (ie, lawyer, doctor, etc). There's nothing else here in Orlando except for hospitality jobs and most of the jobs they mentioned in that article. Because of that, and mainly how my Dad wasn't able to get a job anywhere else (we traveled for it, Naples, Sarasota, Miami, to name a few), my Dad was forced to stay here at WDW. It's not only because he wasn't able to find anything, but more so, you start somewhere else and you obviously lose the pay rate you have from seniority and experience. So to those saying this shouldn't be a career, I agree - for some it is as a way of loving Disney, but for many, MANY full-timers, it is because they can't and aren't able to go somewhere else. While it is not the best, while the pay rate is bad, while the benefits aren't good - at least you actually HAVE something. THAT is what has many people staying here for.

Also take into account that Disney is the largest employer here in FL, and one of the most open usually. Many people think that everything is fine and dandy, but many people who get a job here get stuck in it.

So before you knock full-timers in there for being lazy, remember the people like my Dad, who work 7 days a week, doubles on weekends, with no stopping and no vacation for any of his family for several years.

Lastly, to whoever referenced my payrate of 7.45 and minimum wage being 7.25: Remember, this is my Seasonal payrate after FOUR years. When I got hired in 2007, the minimum wage was 6.67 for non-tipped, tipped was 3.65. That's how much the minimum wage here in FL sucks.

Again I am sure your father makes more than $8.00 an hour. My point is Disney shouldn't have to pay a line cook or a ride operator $18 an hour just because they are Disney. That was the tone I was getting from the article, that Disney should over pay just because they are Disney.

I make fewer than 13 dollars an hour at my first job and have to have a 2nd job where I only make around 9. It is just the way it is. I have a B.A. in TV radio broadcasting with a minor in film studies.

Currently it is the hardest almost ever to break into my industry. SO I am working as a sales person in an office and not what I went to school for. I don't think I should be paid 80K for what I do. Companies that over pay and give outrageous benefits are doomed to fail, look at the American auto industry if you need proof of that.

devoy1701

leniency

Anyway, heaven an employee stick to their employers rules. Or that there be some consistency in enforcing them (has Disney improved in this regard yet?)

In an inherently low wage city. If I moved back to the US right now, in Orlando I'd be looking at $40k/yr if I'm lucky. In New York, Boston, DC, LA, SF, Chicago or Seattle, I'd be starting at $70k and would likely earn over $100k.

Hell, I'd earn more in Fargo, ND... and I'm earning more in Puerto Rico.

That's what I earned when I started at Disney 10 years ago.

VERY Bad comparison....cost of living in Florida and specifically Tampa and Orlando is signiciantly less than ALL of those cities you listed...

Mr. Morrow

Original Poster
Right. The 6 months I spent unemployed from December-May were because I'm lazy.

Not because there's a 17% unemployment rate where I live, and I was overqualified for every job I applied for. Unemployment benefits didn't even begin to cover the costs of printing portfolios to send to potential employers.

In order to get the job I have now I had to omit my MFA and ask my previous employer to list my title as Senior Graphic Designer for employment verification as opposed to Art Director (which as an executive title, would have overqualified me).

[/rant] The laziness excuse is overused and irrelevant.

No one said anything about people being laid off or not being able to find a job I am not sure where you are getting this.

What I ment are like the guys who work in my warehouse. MOst have been there for years and you can only make so much money. Instead of trying to find a better paying job most of them work here for years and just complain that they are under paid.

DisneyJoe

I mean, come on, my Dad has a Masters in Theater. WDW was supposed to be like that for him and many other people - a stepping stone or a temp job til you get into something else.

Unfortunately, certain fields are very limited in what jobs are offered in regional areas.

I have a degree in Radio-TV-Film, I was on track to be a radio personality (luckily I also had a minor in Computer Science). As my college career progressed, and I began looking at jobs, I realized that I would need to move to where the jobs are. This meant possibly working the midnight shift at a radio station in Oklahoma (I'm in NJ), or somewhere else where they would let a beginner in - and then possibly moving around the country for better work.

Theater is the same way. A friend's son has a Masters in Theater - and his first job was on a cruise ship - with a 6 month contract, 3 months off, then another 6 month contract. He baled after the first contract, and was then traveling the country with either the "My Little Pony" show or a Sesame Street or Dora/Diego show - you get the idea. He will eventually end up in New York - but he will have traveled much before then.

Me? I would have traveled the country doing radio, but a physical challenge kept me close to home and turned my career into the computer field - and I was a wedding DJ for 10 years...

mkt

Premium Member
my Dad has a Masters in Theater

Not to criticize your father, but do you really expect to earn much with a Master's Degree in Theater?

I have an MFA, and I knew full well that it wasn't going to help me find work. Which is why I also have a more practical degree as well.

t3techcom18

leniency

Anyway, heaven an employee stick to their employers rules. Or that there be some consistency in enforcing them (has Disney improved in this regard yet?).

Thanks for correction, like I said, sp. Didn't remember the spelling at the time.

I know what you mean, but there's a difference between adhering to rules and managers going over you like a hawk and/or stereotypically thinking just because you're young, you have an automatic adherence to the rules. There are many older people (not to diss them, many are nice, but many have this fear or suspicion of young folk that drives me and many insane) that look at you and think you have absolutely no idea what you're doing or that teenagers are always lazy bums and are the rudest people around (aka, generalizing). THAT is what I'm talking about. As you probably well know, there are many, many managers who are nice and all at first, but they reveal their true colors at one point (got a reprimand for something extremely stupid in only my 2nd month in that no one else gets reprimanded for and was technically illegal by union standards since there wasn't a union rep there to witness the statements going on, especially when it was head manager barking at me and not revealing why I was actually there til I learned several months later).

Lee

Adventurer
Throwing in my two cents....

Yes, Disney park jobs are not very well paying, provide few benefits, and are not seen as desirable jobs to the outside world.
No, it hasn't always been that way.

In past decades, Disney jobs were looked at as one of the best entry level jobs you could get, especially during Disneyland's first 30 or so years. They only hired the best workers, trained them well, provided great benefits, groomed them for advancement, and provided work experience that was very highly regarded in the marketplace. Disney was something you would be proud to put at the top of a resume.

Now...not so much. Personally, I lay much of the blame on the college program (no offense to the fine cp'ers here).
As the CP grew, Disney found themselves with a huge supply of workers that they could pay the minimum, work the maximum, and save millions of dollars on labor and benefit costs.
The entry level workers that have the ability to stick it out and move up the ladder into better positions do ok. For the rest, Disney is just a short stop in their employment career. Not a final destination, or long term career choice.

In my mind this has been detrimental to the Mouse. They are not getting the quality employees they once had and prided themselves on. Now they just want warm bodies, who often have little interest in the company, it's history, or it's tradition of providing the best experience in the industry.

As a comparison. I work in the cellular phone industry. At my company (not the largest) entry level sales reps start at $10/hour, plus commissions, with full benefits (medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, vacations, etc.), and excellent advancement potential.

Why would anyone want to take an entry level Disney job when there are much better ones available?
The winner: Disney's bottom line.
The losers: The employees and the guests.

devoy1701

First, yeah, I get what you mean bout Minimum Wage, but for quite a while until I believe bout 1 or 2 years ago, FL's minimum wage was below the Federal Standard. It wasn't until the current administration that they brought every state's minimum wage to at least the Federal Standard.

Second, this is another reason why so many choose to get the Seasonal status.

Seasonal at Disney doesn't work the same way as many companies here do, such as SeaWorld. Once you're in the company as a Seasonal, you don't get re-hired - that is your permanent status throughout your stay with the company. You are never considered no longer employed whenever you are not available. You simply put as not available via a sheet you submit. You're requirement is to work at least 5 days a year and you'll be able to keep your benefits. In other words, like me and many younger people who have high school/college, and for those working, say as a teacher, during the regular year and have the summer months, this is a perfect replacement because you have total control over what you can do.

Seasonals have full control over what hours and what days they want. Part Time has control over days (pre-requisite 3 days, depending on management you might be allowed more or you might be mandated to only 3 days), but not the hours. Full-Time has no say in hours or days scheduled.

This is because as I've already mentioned, there are many states that have significantly higher costs of living...when you start lumping all of the states together in a pool when population is unevenly distributed, you're going to cause the minimum wage in some states to go up higher than they necessarily need to be. Florida was lower than the "average" because it costs less to live here.

mkt

Premium Member
VERY Bad comparison....cost of living in Florida and specifically Tampa and Orlando is signiciantly less than ALL of those cities you listed...

Actually... look at some cost of living calculators.

With NYC, it's a wash. But I'd prefer living in New York to Orlando.

With Boston, you'd come out ahead by $2k

$14k ahead with DC, $9k in LA, $23k in Chicago, and $9k in Seattle.

The only city I've listed that you'd lose money with is San Francisco, where you'd need to earn close to $90k to live like you'd live in Orlando earning $40k. I'm quite certain that I could find a job that paid close to that in San Francisco.

And just for fun, I've seen job listings in Fargo that pay more than comparable jobs in Orlando, yet Fargo's cost of living is half a percentage point less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom