News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Brian

Here are some highlights of the new contract:
  • Trainer and coordinator premium increased by $0.25 per hour
  • Third shift custodial premium increased to $2.00 per hour
  • Jungle Cruise CMs get a new $0.50 per hour premium and paid travel time to get to an indoor breakroom (the one at their location is outdoors). Interestingly enough, there is also now an "audition" and/or interview process to transfer into that location (this is not allowed for most unionized positions).
  • Eligibility for 401(K), no company match (this is in addition to the existing union pension)
  • Paid child bonding leave for eight weeks
  • Reverts internal transfer eligibility back to the last contract (was 12 month waiting period, will go back to six)
  • CMs must be notified of mandatory overtime no later than 60 minutes before end of their shift (was 30)
  • Maximum of $3.00/paycheck increase in medical coverage each year
Wages:
  • Retro to expiration of last contract (October 2022) - $1.00/hour, minimum $16.00/hour
  • Upon ratification of proposed agreement - $1.00/hour, minimum $17.00/hour
  • 12/3/2023 - $1.00/hour, minimum $18.00/hour
  • 12/1/2024 - $0.50/hour, minimum of $18.50/hour
  • 9/28/2025 - $1.00/hour, minimum of $19.50/hour
  • 10/4/2026 - $1.00/hour, minimum of $20.50/hour
Having looked at the full contract, I can say there's no apparent major concessions by the union. Quite a victory, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Lilofan

• Jungle Cruise CMs get a new $0.50 per hour premium and paid travel time to get to an indoor breakroom (the one at their location is outdoors). Interestingly enough, there is also now an "audition" and/or interview process to transfer into that location (this is not allowed for most unionized positions).
  • Eligibility for 401(K), no company match (this is in addition to the existing union pension)
  • Reverts internal transfer eligibility back to the last contract (was 12 month waiting period, will go back to six)
  • CMs must be notified of mandatory overtime no later than 60 minutes before end of their shift (was 30)
Wages:
  • Retro to expiration of last contract (October 2022) - $1.00/hour, minimum $16.00/hour
Having looked at the full contract, I can say there's no apparent major concessions by the union. Quite a victory, in my opinion.
Not a bad gig , brand new cast member working overnight shift -$20 per hour or $40K per year.

Vegas Disney Fan

Wages:
Looks like a fair compromise, Disney offered $16 with annual raises to $20, the union wanted $18 now with further raises, they settled on $17 with annual raises to $20.50.

The CMs make more in the end, that’s all that really matters. The million dollar question is whether it will bring them a little financial stability or just be offset by faster increases in costs and inflation.

It’s interesting to watch as someone who may retire in FL and get a PT job at WDW to supplement savings, makes Orlando (even with its price increases) more appealing.

Disone

I’m not being grumpy, but yes, I’m a fan of Grumpy.
The number of credit hrs they would pay for per semester were reduced. Also they limited the number of applicants making it
more difficult to get benefits.
Unfortunately for me, I cannot speak firsthand because my college days are in the rear view mirror. However, being within the company I have not heard a single word about a change to aspire. So I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying this is the first time hearing of it and your details are limited. You know for a "fact" but No date as to when the change was made, no specifics aside from "reduced". Originally you thought it was due to the implementation of the old contract but again aspire was very early into the life of the old contract.

Okay. I'll take you at your word but I'm still not willing to bet on it.

I can tell you they have not limited the number of applicants. There is no limit on the number of applicants. Eligibility is every single, full-time and part-time hourly employee that has more than 90 days with the company. All of them can apply.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Looks like a fair compromise, Disney offered $16 with annual raises to $20, the union wanted $18 now with further raises, they settled on $17 with annual raises to $20.50.

The CMs make more in the end, that’s all that really matters. The million dollar question is whether it will bring them a little financial stability or just be offset by faster increases in costs and inflation.

It’s interesting to watch as someone who may retire in FL and get a PT job at WDW to supplement savings, makes Orlando (even with its price increases) more appealing.
Met a security cast member and he told me he's retired NYC cop on a pension and social security , sold home in NY, bought condo in Orlando in cash and working at WDW part time as something to do during the day. I'm thinking he is not pressed for cash.

Nubs70

Pensions are different discussion.

Pensions are not the employees money until the ee claims pension. These funds are a.preferred target of acquiring companies. Get acquired and watch a good portion of the pension evaporate.

401k, or like program, is the ee's money once vestment period is over and cannot be raided in a corporate takeover

Touchdown

I disagree. Constant churn with your job results in a situation where you don't regularly contribute to earn pension or 401K later in life. I am a long-term employee at my company, and as a result will net excellent retirement benefits and pay.
By churn he meant 3-5 years per employer so your fear is unfounded. You should be able to contribute to a 401k on day one at most places.

Touchdown

Yes, in many places you can start contributing from the beginning, but the employer match is, in many cases delayed…
At most until your first Jan 1st. And if you know what you’re doing you increase your withholding at your old job the partial year you’re there to make up for it. I find your argument really strange, most people who churn are extremely financially savvy and know what they are doing.

Smiley/OCD

At most until your first Jan 1st. And if you know what you’re doing you increase your withholding at your old job the partial year you’re there to make up for it. I find your argument really strange, most people who churn are extremely financially savvy and know what they are doing.
I didn’t make an argument, all I said was in many companies, while you can start contributing fairly quickly, AGREEING WITH YOU, the company match is not always instant. It wasn’t a strange comment, it was just a comment.

GrumpyFan

I can tell you they have not limited the number of applicants. There is no limit on the number of applicants. Eligibility is every single, full-time and part-time hourly employee that has more than 90 days with the company. All of them can apply.
There are a few Reddits with people discussing their experiences and the cutbacks.

Also, I have family who have worked at Disney since it started and been working on their Masters and have had difficulty using the benefits, and been told by their colleges that Disney isn't paying for as much as they were.

Disone

There are a few Reddits with people discussing their experiences and the cutbacks.

Also, I have family who have worked at Disney since it started and been working on their Masters and have had difficulty using the benefits, and been told by their colleges that Disney isn't paying for as much as they were.
Thanks. I understand. Things like Reddit is hearsay and so is " someone from the college says that Disney isn't paying as much as they were."

I genuinely did try to verify but there's really nothing in the aspire website that speaks to the amount of credits per semester you're allowed to get paid for.

To your credit Disney's track record would suggest that they've always cut back when they need to. Maybe it's just not in the manner you have described?

I've worked at Disney for long before the entire time the aspire program has existed. I've helped people apply for the program. I know people who are in the program. I know people who stay with Disney specifically because of the program (which I think is to be honest retention intent behind the program). I just haven't heard of the kind of cuts you've mentioned.

-em

The Aspire program was built on a specific funding stream/“grant” and they didn’t plan on well 2020 increasing demand for the program exponentially (cause people literally had nothing else to do..) so it did take a lot of pricer programs off the table (cause it makes more sense to offer programs that cost 10k to complete vs 50k) I was always amazed they offered programs that had no likelihood of benefiting the company (Walmart offers a similar program but all are tied to things that would benefit retail like business/HR/supply chain not engineering or music or history)

I got my MBA through Aspire & a Certificate (wanted more but they made masters be the end understandable enough)

Brian

Great! Since they voluntarily agreed to this wage structure, we will be spared hearing about CM’s being underpaid, “food scarcity”, “living wage”, and other nonsense for three years!

That alone is worth celebrating!
Then wash, rinse and repeat once the next negotiation comes up. I wonder what the "living wage" will be then; $30/hour?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom