Disney World After Christmas (26th-30th)

James Gavin

I was looking for some feedback about Disney World in between Christmas and New Years. I'm from Chicago and visit Disney somewhat frequently, but never around the holidays. Now that I have family who has moved to Florida, it looks like this is my year. I have always wanted to be at Disney on Christmas Day, but we will be with family that day. So, it will have to be the days between Christmas and New Year's, like around the 26th-30th. Is it as chaotic as people say? Also, will I be missing out on any Christmas decorations or shows that stop after Christmas Day? I still hoping to get the "Christmas experience," so I'm wondering how much things change the day after, you know? Any feedback anyone can give would be really appreciated!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
All Christmas festivities and decorations are out until after New years and Yes it is the BUSIEST week all year long!! As to why we personally avoid it. But if you go with that in mind and are prepared for extremely large crowds you will be fine and can enjoy it still. :)

Upvote 0

James Gavin

Original Poster
It definitely sounds like it's the busiest time of the year. I will say, I'm not really worried about going on any rides. I could care less. I just want to absorb the Christmas 'atmosphere.' (Decorations/Shows/Special Merch)

All Christmas festivities and decorations are out until after New years and Yes it is the BUSIEST week all year long!! As to why we personally avoid it. But if you go with that in mind and are prepared for extremely large crowds you will be fine and can enjoy it still. :)

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
It definitely sounds like it's the busiest time of the year. I will say, I'm not really worried about going on any rides. I could care less. I just want to absorb the Christmas 'atmosphere.' (Decorations/Shows/Special Merch)
Then you will be fine and will love it!! It's me and DH's fave time of year to visit. We usually go inbetween Thanksgiving and Christmas early- mid December. :)

Upvote 0

Matt_Black

It is very busy, though if you plan accordingly still fun. Make good use of those EMH if you're staying on property. That was a godsend for us on our 2012 Christmas trip.

Upvote 0

ElvisMickey

This is just my personal preference so no offense to anyone who actually enjoys visiting during Christmas week, but I would never in a million years pick that time of year to visit. I moved down here 2 years ago and I'm an annual pass holder. There are more people visiting down here between Christmas and New Year's then any other time of the year. Last year, I went to dinner at the Grand Floridian the day after Christmas and decided just to go over to the MK for a little bit and when I tell you that you literally were in herds of people and couldn't even move just walking through the park, I'm not exaggerating. Cast Members are literally directing "traffic" and they actually put white tape on the ground and you have to stick to one side or the other, depending on which way you're walking...like lanes on a highway. Now, as others have mentioned, if you time it when you're at the park for rope drop in the AM you could probably get a decent few hours in. The best time to visit if you really want to take in the Christmas theming with minimal crowds and annoyances would be that 2-3 week window between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

My family was in WDW last year during those exact dates. It is utter chaos in terms of crowds (though still not as bad as New Years), but if you are willing to be at the parks at rope drop and employ strategic planning with your Fastpasses, it is absolutely doable. We hit up everything on our list and then some - we just made sure to hit up rides with low capacity early in the morning and save large loaders and shows for the afternoon when the crowds were at their highest. Between that and using FPs for the most popular attractions, it's definitely possible to do both rides and just wander to enjoy the spectacle - all the Christmas stuff at the parks and resorts is still up and the parade at MK is the Christmas parade. We also did a bunch of meet and greets which we don't normally do for the sake of getting photos with characters in holiday attire. It was a blast. Just keep in mind that ADRs and FPs are crucial at that time of year. I would also highly recommend staying on property, as that will allow you to utilize EMH as well.

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

I was looking for some feedback about Disney World in between Christmas and New Years. I'm from Chicago and visit Disney somewhat frequently, but never around the holidays. Now that I have family who has moved to Florida, it looks like this is my year. I have always wanted to be at Disney on Christmas Day, but we will be with family that day. So, it will have to be the days between Christmas and New Year's, like around the 26th-30th. Is it as chaotic as people say? Also, will I be missing out on any Christmas decorations or shows that stop after Christmas Day? I still hoping to get the "Christmas experience," so I'm wondering how much things change the day after, you know? Any feedback anyone can give would be really appreciated!

It will be full on Christmas week. The largest possible crowds. 2x daily Christmas parade, 2x nightly MSEP. Christmas shows will happen. Decorations will Stay up through Marathon weekend.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

This is just my personal preference so no offense to anyone who actually enjoys visiting during Christmas week, but I would never in a million years pick that time of year to visit. I moved down here 2 years ago and I'm an annual pass holder. There are more people visiting down here between Christmas and New Year's then any other time of the year. Last year, I went to dinner at the Grand Floridian the day after Christmas and decided just to go over to the MK for a little bit and when I tell you that you literally were in herds of people and couldn't even move just walking through the park, I'm not exaggerating. Cast Members are literally directing "traffic" and they actually put white tape on the ground and you have to stick to one side or the other, depending on which way you're walking...like lanes on a highway. Now, as others have mentioned, if you time it when you're at the park for rope drop in the AM you could probably get a decent few hours in. The best time to visit if you really want to take in the Christmas theming with minimal crowds and annoyances would be that 2-3 week window between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

THIS, only need to do it once before you learn your lesson.

Decor is up from the middle of Nov through the just after the 1st. We don't miss anything Christmas by going within the first two weeks of December. We prefer a calmer atmosphere vs shoulder to shoulder chaos.

Upvote 0

EOD K9

My wife and I went NYE 2008/2009 and we vowed never again. It was fun to see the decorations, but wow, craziness. This year we are cruising and getting off the boat on NYE. We have extra Disney dollars to cover the cost of two tickets. This would be one of the few opportunities for both of my daughters to be in the parks during the holidays. I really don't want to go with the crowds, but this is the last year for the OFOL at DHS. I'm hoping if I go with no expectations and just take in the atmosphere, we will be fine. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I honestly can't recommend going during that time. I didn't mind it so much when I lived down there, because when the crowds were really bad I could go in, do what I wanted to do, and leave and do something else, and I did a lot more resort hopping and things like that outside of the parks which was nice. But to be spending tons of money to go on vacation that week, I really wouldn't recommend it. I've done it before, and I fit everything in that I wanted to do, but it was tough. You need to put in a lot more effort, and understand in advance that you'll spend a lot of time waiting, either in long lines, or to get spots for parades and shows. If it's the only time you're able to go then give it a shot, but otherwise I'd probably avoid it in the future.

Upvote 0

NoCapes

We've been there over Christmas and we're going back in 40 days! We are doing the Candlelight Processional as a dinner package and I can't wait! We are staying on site and will definitely be taking advantage of rope drop, EMH, FP...and taking it all in stride. When things get ridiculously insane (and they will) we'll just head back to Fort Wilderness campgrounds and enjoy everyone's amazing decorations.

I'm certain I have blocked out all the "bad memories" from the last time we went at Christmas. ;)

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

As I think has been made clear. If you go understanding what will happen, that's fine. If you are taking someone who has never been, it will be an unmitigated disaster. My in-laws are in Florida and back when we used to buy annual passes every other year (to maximize the value), we would go over for a day during our Christmas visit/post-Christmas visit. Mostly to see the Candlelight Processional and the decorations and such. If you go with that attitude, you will be fine. You want to see WDW at Christmas, it's not as good as 10 days before Christmas but you can see the decorations, etc. If you go intending the tour the parks, may Mickey have Mercy on Your Soul.

Upvote 0

Beckett

Personally, I've gone twice during that time and have loved it. What helped? Planning and knowing how to properly use the Fast Pass System. A lot of people still don't know that they can get more fastpasses after those initial 3. I have noticed that the days before new years are quite bearable and we got to ride everything my daughter and I wanted at least twice. I did not get there at rope drop and still managed to do it all. On the other hand, first days of January...yikes!

Upvote 0

Po'Rich

We've been there over Christmas and we're going back in 40 days! We are doing the Candlelight Processional as a dinner package and I can't wait! We are staying on site and will definitely be taking advantage of rope drop, EMH, FP...and taking it all in stride. When things get ridiculously insane (and they will) we'll just head back to Fort Wilderness campgrounds and enjoy everyone's amazing decorations.

I'm certain I have blocked out all the "bad memories" from the last time we went at Christmas. ;)
I'm with you! Our first trip to WDW during Christmas in 2012, and we just loved it (despite the crowds). We went back during the summer of 2014, and kept talking about how much more we enjoyed it at Christmas. Now, we're going back in 40 days. I can't wait!

Upvote 0

draybook

NewYears-11_zpsekiii6qq.jpg

Upvote 0

Ralphlaw

We were there last year, and--yup--crazy busy. Just plan well, use EMH, pack diapers, and take your vitamins.

I would also suggest hitting Epcot on New Years day, because this year it'll be Who Years day. Dress in your favorite Dr. Who garb and receive a free smile from the likes of me.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

One thing to add to everybody's "crazy" talk is that the MK gate will close to new guests by mid morning and will be hit or miss till 5-7. So if you make any ADR's or FP's for late morning-early evening make sure you get there early to make sure you can get in.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom