Disney Wish

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See, I was underwhelmed by the nightly dining on Royal, and I have been on Oasis, Harmony, and Symphony regularly. I thought the food in the main dining room was blah, and the service less than stellar. My wait staff on DCL always made me miss them when I got off the ship and the food was better than RC.

the main is somewhat meh...but the specialties are very much above both the main and Disney’s

this is where somebody usually says “but you have to pay for it...”

yeah...until you quote the entrance fee onto the ship.

it’s a Disney board...I get it. Dcl gets laurels and competitors get shunned. To be expected. Don’t think it’s entirely unwarranted...but it is overboard.

Robbydj13

the main is somewhat meh...but the specialties are very much above both the main and Disney’s

this is where somebody usually says “but you have to pay for it...”

yeah...until you quote the entrance fee onto the ship.

it’s a Disney board...I get it. Dcl gets laurels and competitors get shunned. To be expected. Don’t think it’s entirely unwarranted...but it is overboard.
Oh I love DCL, but I have tended to sail Royal way more in recent years and I can’t imagine going back. There is so much to do on board, and I find it more relaxing with so many hot tubs and pools, especially in the Solarium on RC. It’s so quiet there. DCL will always have a place in my heart, but for the amount the charge, there needs to be way more offered.

As far as the specialty dining goes, I generally get the dining and drink pkg on RC and love eating the specialties. Palo is my jam on DCL and I find it worth it, but I really did enjoy main dining on DCL and I like eating at the same time with the same wait staff nightly. I wish that was more available on RC.

Robbydj13

I would honestly book for the inaugural cruise, but I am not willing to commit without knowing what the rules will be.... I cannot imagine going on a cruise and requiring a mask. I can't imagine it would still be required next year, but that is what is holding me back from cruising as of now

SplashJacket

I think DCL's food is by far its greatest weakness. It's not bad, but it isn't mind-blowing. All four ships largely share the same food, which is great if you love a specific dish, but not great if you're an avid cruiser.

I very much enjoy the food, but it's largely through trial and error. Each night, from my point of view, has one or two really good meals, so if you know what to order (from going on so many cruises) the food is actually pretty good, but for the price of the cruise, every meal should be exquisite.

As for the service, I've gone to some bougie places in my life, and DCL service is spectacular. Can you get better service elsewhere? Yes, but I've never experienced DCL level service for anything priced cheaper or comparatively more.

I'm one person with one set of experiences, but I've definitely traveled with DCL more than the overwhelming majority, and it is the service that makes us keep coming back, not the mouse.

I'm worried that following the extended shutdown and the rapid expansion of the fleet that service will take a hit. I'm in no rush to do the Wish, but we do have a cruise scheduled for January 2022 and Summer 2022 on the Fantasy and Magic respectively.

SplashJacket

I would honestly book for the inaugural cruise, but I am not willing to commit without knowing what the rules will be.... I cannot imagine going on a cruise and requiring a mask. I can't imagine it would still be required next year, but that is what is holding me back from cruising as of now
We were going to book on the first batch of Wish cruises before it got delayed by 6 months. We have one kiddo left in our family and the Wish was going to debut just before he aged out of the clubs, but now when the Wish does debut, he won't be in the clubs anymore, so we won't be missing out by going later after prices settle and the kinks are sorted out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm worried that following the extended shutdown and the rapid expansion of the fleet that service will take a hit. I'm in no rush to do the Wish, but we do have a cruise scheduled for January 2022 and Summer 2022 on the Fantasy and Magic respectively.

rapid expansion huh?

4 smallish ships...first two 22 years old and the second about 10??

woah...we gotta slow this thing down!! 😉

SplashJacket

rapid expansion huh?

4 smallish ships...first two 22 years old and the second about 10??

woah...we gotta slow this thing down!! 😉
I meant the approximate doubling of the fleet in a 3(?) year span. Had covid not happened they could have more active crew and just assign fewer contracts, but now no one has been on contract in over a year so they have to deal with restaffing their entire fleet and then hire twice as much staff as they've ever had.

Robbydj13

I think DCL's food is by far its greatest weakness. It's not bad, but it isn't mind-blowing. All four ships largely share the same food, which is great if you love a specific dish, but not great if you're an avid cruiser.

I very much enjoy the food, but it's largely through trial and error. Each night, from my point of view, has one or two really good meals, so if you know what to order (from going on so many cruises) the food is actually pretty good, but for the price of the cruise, every meal should be exquisite.

As for the service, I've gone to some bougie places in my life, and DCL service is spectacular. Can you get better service elsewhere? Yes, but I've never experienced DCL level service for anything priced cheaper or comparatively more.

I'm one person with one set of experiences, but I've definitely traveled with DCL more than the overwhelming majority, and it is the service that makes us keep coming back, not the mouse.

I have 2 cruises booked for next year, 2 on RC, and looking to add a DCL cruise as well. But I will cancel and rebook depending on what they are requiring at that time. I thought it would be cool to go on the inaugural cruise on the Wish, but it isn't a must do for me. I have been on an inaugural cruise before for RC and they do it up right for the guests....I was curious to see what Disney would do

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have 2 cruises booked for next year, 2 on RC, and looking to add a DCL cruise as well. But I will cancel and rebook depending on what they are requiring at that time. I thought it would be cool to go on the inaugural cruise on the Wish, but it isn't a must do for me. I have been on an inaugural cruise before for RC and they do it up right for the guests....I was curious to see what Disney would do

we’re not that different...

one booked and trying to get a bite on this ship...

a lot of my future cruising depends on the wdw annual passholder program. Some ugly theories germinating out Anaheim could end my patronage all together...which would be more cruises I would assume?

SplashJacket

we’re not that different...

one booked and trying to get a bite on this ship...

a lot of my future cruising depends on the wdw annual passholder program. Some ugly theories germinating out Anaheim could end my patronage all together...which would be more cruises I would assume?
I think I might add a third cruise for pennies. I'm not sure which company we'd end up going with, but I've always wanted to go on a bargain cruise.

MarkTwain

Anyone else underwhelmed? Looks way too in-your-face with the IP, including in adults-only areas and main dining rooms. The idea of having Elsa singing "Let it Go" or Iron Man walking around, while I'm trying to eat a 4-course meal of escargot or filet mignon is... odd, to say the least. Seems a little less elegant, and a little noisier and (I hate to say it) tackier than what we're used to.

Also at almost 25 years since the Disney Magic, I'm surprised we still haven't gotten any real new "fun" amenities besides fancier water slides. Where's our rock wall, ziplines, wave rider machines... DCL could really take a page out of Royal Caribbean's book here, especially with how big Disney's ships are getting.

Might wait on this one...

peter11435

Anyone else underwhelmed? Looks way too in-your-face with the IP, including in adults-only areas and main dining rooms. The idea of having Elsa singing "Let it Go" or Iron Man walking around, while I'm trying to eat a 4-course meal of escargot or filet mignon is... odd, to say the least. Seems a little less elegant, and a little noisier and (I hate to say it) tackier than what we're used to.

Also at almost 25 years since the Disney Magic, I'm surprised we still haven't gotten any real new "fun" amenities besides fancier water slides. Where's our rock wall, ziplines, wave rider machines... DCL could really take a page out of Royal Caribbean's book here, especially with how big Disney's ships are getting.

They didn’t actually show any adult only areas. I think the main dining rooms are what’s to be expected given the trend with recent additions like Tiana’s and Repunzel’s on the wonder and magic.

ChuckElias

I hate to say it, but yes, I'm underwhelmed. I'm not fan of the Atrium decor, too dressed-down. And while I don't mind the IP in some public spaces (like the Star Wars lounge), I do think the Marvel restaurant is a really odd concept. Elsa singing at dinner isn't a big deal to me, as I've heard that the live music in Tiana's on the Wonder is awesome, so I think that can work fine.

I am probably in the minority, but I have no desire for rock walls or a surf simulator. I've done NCL and Royal Caribbean and I didn't make use of them on those ships. Not my cup of tea. Just a total guess on my part, but I think most DCL lovers agree with me. If they didn't, they'd just switch over to a mega-ship experience. Having said that, with some of the departures that they've made on the Wish, it wouldn't have surprised me if they tried something similar to what you're asking about.

Robbydj13

I hate to say it, but yes, I'm underwhelmed. I'm not fan of the Atrium decor, too dressed-down. And while I don't mind the IP in some public spaces (like the Star Wars lounge), I do think the Marvel restaurant is a really odd concept. Elsa singing at dinner isn't a big deal to me, as I've heard that the live music in Tiana's on the Wonder is awesome, so I think that can work fine.

I am probably in the minority, but I have no desire for rock walls or a surf simulator. I've done NCL and Royal Caribbean and I didn't make use of them on those ships. Not my cup of tea. Just a total guess on my part, but I think most DCL lovers agree with me. If they didn't, they'd just switch over to a mega-ship experience. Having said that, with some of the departures that they've made on the Wish, it wouldn't have surprised me if they tried something similar to what you're asking about.
I am an avid Royal Caribbean lover and i hate the rock wall, but love the FlowRider surf machine. ITs fun to do and fun to watch others...great to sit and watch with a drink in hand. Unfortunately Disney doesn't make it easy to enjoy a few cocktails without paying a fortune, which I understand, but after spending a fortune for their less than overwhelming boat, its disappointing they haven't provided more for guests

DCLcruiser

Umm, the rotational dining (Elsa, Avengers and 1923) are not going to serve escargot or filet mignon. They are the normal everyday restaurants.

If you want fancy, go to the adults only restaurants. Or, go to NYC...

Robbydj13

Umm, the rotational dining (Elsa, Avengers and 1923) are not going to serve escargot or filet mignon. They are the normal everyday restaurants.

If you want fancy, go to the adults only restaurants. Or, go to NYC...
The rotational dining in the dream and fantasy serve steak and escargot. Bottom line, Disney makes great ships but their cruise game is lacking

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom