Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Figment82

I just received communication from the Space Coast Marathon event team - the half/full takes place the Sunday after Thanksgiving. As of now, the event is still happening as planned. But they are now offering a virtual option, which you can switch into from now until mid-November, in case you’re unable to travel.

Also of interesting note, it sounds like we’ll receive our finisher medal (and beach towel, the finisher swag) at packet pick-up to reduce contact points and the need for extra volunteers at the finish line. I wonder if Disney is considering an option like this (also makes me wonder how many would decide not to run after getting their items at the expo 🤔).

Just thought I’d share, as the timing of the event is close to W&D.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I just received communication from the Space Coast Marathon event team - the half/full takes place the Sunday after Thanksgiving. As of now, the event is still happening as planned. But they are now offering a virtual option, which you can switch into from now until mid-November, in case you’re unable to travel.

Also of interesting note, it sounds like we’ll receive our finisher medal (and beach towel, the finisher swag) at packet pick-up to reduce contact points and the need for extra volunteers at the finish line. I wonder if Disney is considering an option like this (also makes me wonder how many would decide not to run after getting their items at the expo 🤔).

Just thought I’d share, as the timing of the event is close to W&D.

related, but kinda not, how is that run? It's on my list to do because of the cool medals.

Figment82

related, but kinda not, how is that run? It's on my list to do because of the cool medals.
Absolutely love it! I think this will be my 7th year. Very well organized and although it’s grown in popularity, it still maintains that local race charm. The course is an out and back, but it’s along the intercoastal so the views are really nice coming and going. Post-race party has pancakes, pizza, beer, soda. And the medals are ginormous, lol! We make it a long weekend and stay on the beach and visit some local attractions. It’s a nice getaway post-Thanksgiving.

surfsupdon

Thank you @Figment82 . I’m hoping Space Coast is on target for all participants too.

The ability to transfer to virtual is helpful too. If you cannot travel or are anxious to travel/be around crowds, you have the option to run virtually. And medals and swag beforehand, coupled with the above, may help thin out total participants race morning.
Thanks for including us with this update.

Figment82

Thank you @Figment82 . I’m hoping Space Coast is on target for all participants too.

The ability to transfer to virtual is helpful too. If you cannot travel or are anxious to travel/be around crowds, you have the option to run virtually. And medals and swag beforehand, coupled with the above, may help thin out total participants race morning.
Thanks for including us with this update.
You’re welcome! I’ll keep everyone posted if I hear anything additional. I feel like it helps to hear what similarly timed events are doing. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
You’re welcome! I’ll keep everyone posted if I hear anything additional. I feel like it helps to hear what similarly timed events are doing. Still keeping my fingers crossed!
Peachtree Road Race has been moved to Thanksgiving Day (usually July 4) which I think is encouraging as well. I don’t think they had a full 60,000 field sign up this year, but the fact that they think they can manage 45,000+ runners, plus support, plus fans, by then in Atlanta, gives me hope that Disney will be able to manage an event with roughly a third of that per race at the beginning of that month!

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Peachtree Road Race has been moved to Thanksgiving Weekend (usually July 4) which I think is encouraging as well. I don’t think they had a full 60,000 field sign up this year, but the fact that they think they can manage 45,000+ runners, plus support, plus fans, by then in Atlanta, gives me hope that Disney will be able to manage an event with roughly a third of that per race at the beginning of that month!

Cooler weather, too.

Figment82

Another good sign. I really would prefer not to carry a water bottle but I guess we might not have a choice.
Same with me. I’ve considered carrying Gatorade or similar in case my blood sugar drops (T1D here), but I can’t stand that sloshing and extra weight. I carry so many additional things, I really don’t want to pile on more and am grateful for the water stops. Obviously if that changes, I totally understand and will make it work.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Track Shack published their covid protocols. They organize runDisney:

To be honest, it’s very promising and doable.There is still the potential to change, and loosen some of those restrictions. November is still awhile away.

Thanks, Don, for providing this. Looks like the hydration tables will be self-serve from dispensers. Wonder if rD will do the same for Powerade.

I usually don't, but will probably wear my hydration vest for the 10K.

Texas84

The hydration in that plan is very doable. But if W&D was a full registration the distancing is impossible and the race will need to be cancelled if a second wave hits. And you're not putting a mask on runners right after a hot Disney race in Orlando.
th.jpg

surfsupdon

The hydration in that plan is very doable. But if W&D was a full registration the distancing is impossible and the race will need to be cancelled if a second wave hits. And you're not putting a mask on runners right after a hot Disney race in Orlando.
View attachment 473316
Hopefully masks aren’t required in November!! And if they are, or are recommended, rD could hand them out as well as you finish down the long chute.

I’ve never seen that area clogged though. It’s always a nice wide distance with one directional foot traffic.

Stay positive!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom