News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

lazyboy97o

This could explain why we did not get some ride photos last year. We mixed and matched bands and pucks from years past to go with outfits, holiday themes, etc. I assumed if it worked to tap into the park or FP+, it would work for the ride photos. We've done so much swapping I have no idea which are new, which are old... Might be worth always getting the RFID-enabled KTTW card new with every visit and carry it in the wallet/purse to get the photos. We would continue using the old bands/pucks for room/pool access, FP+, room charging, etc.
Can anyone confirm if the KTTW cards have the long range capability as the Second Gen MagicBands? Last I can recall, they cannot since they need a battery to enable the long range capabilities while the close contact NFC chips do not.

But I know my memory may be a bit fuzzy...
The cards do not have have the long range capabilities and thus would not work to automatically associate photos. A MagicBand with a dead battery will work to tap for a photo at the end of the ride.

aaronml

You always had that option, it never went away.

Each person is still supposed to click themselves through, regardless of media.
Eh, DLR definitely encourages folks to just have one person per party scan all of their MaxPasses, the MaxPass UI even allows you to easily swipe to scan for everyone in your party.

Personally I always scan individually, but I see a lot of people who scan for their whole group at DLR.

MagicWDI

The cards do not have have the long range capabilities and thus would not work to automatically associate photos. A MagicBand with a dead battery will work to tap for a photo at the end of the ride.
Thank you and that is what I recall hearing. The RFID chips inside the KTTW cards and first and second gen MagicBands can do everything without the need of a battery except the long range features. It is very unfortunate Disney decided to not enable us to swap batteries as a method to sell more. Not cool...

Amused to Death

I don't know what your point is.

My point is, it takes forever just to get through the front gates. This digital initiative is only going to slow that down.

You said Disney was going to have to start running tech support for persons whose phones aren't working (for some undisclosed reason). I'm saying, besides using a phone instead of a TragicBand, which you don't actually have to do any time in the foreseeable future, you had better get used to using a phone, anyway, because you WILL have to use it for dining purposes.

todd23

The biggest positive of the MagicBand is not needing to carry something else if I leave my room. For example, if I go to the pool, I don't need to bring my phone/key/other object with me. Or if I decide to go for a walk around my resort. Or if I go to the gym at my resort. It is very convenient. I know I can still buy a MagicBand, but I'm guessing this is the first step in a phase out completely of MagicBands.

On a related note, I usually don't bring my phone to the parks. My wife brings hers and does all of our FP+, dining, etc. It is very liberating!

Rich Brownn

I am not going to feel comfortable doing that, not with my iPhone. I don’t tap my phone for anything, there is a lot of personal information on my phone and I don’t want to risk my information. Now I could be wrong about it but to me it is not worth the risk.
Actually using your phone is more secure than using a credit card as no information is transferred - they just receive a key code

Disneyfan1981

(FYI, if it’s like disneyland, you only need one phone with all your tickets tied into that account).

It backs up the queue. Where as for FPs it saves time it definitely backs up the entrance queues. We usually use the actual tickets to get through the entrance faster and then use the phone for FastPasses after that.

Children won't need to use anything now. If you have a full battery at the start of the day and it dies before the end of your day, consider putting your phone down for a couple of hours while enjoying family time, or investing in a newer better phone. MagicBands will still be available, and the magicband batteries last for 2 years. Cell phones aren't a distraction if you're only using it for reservations. Sometimes it's okay to accept change and move with the evolving technology and times.

It's unrealistic to say "put your phone down and enjoy family time!" Honestly my phone is out all the time from passing time waiting in lines, to getting photos and videos while everyone is enjoying to setting up FastPasses. I haven't been to WDW in 10 years (was supposed to go this summer but that obviously changed) but on our trips to Disneyland the cell phones die by the end of the day. That's not Disney's problem but it's just how it works.

Perfect time to switch to the Disneyland's MaxPass \ FastPass system. :)

MaxPass is one of my favorite things at DL. Works like a dream and saves so much time, worth the extra cash.

RKpb

This is fine with me. I never understood the big undertaking of the wristband anyway. I assume Disney want to track everyone for movement in park for their data analysis. The card was great and still prefer it today. The wrist band ended up going in my backpack all the time anyway and used my card for the fast pass, park entree, and room. The card is small and can be kept in your pocket, anything on my wrist makes it sweat, its Florida, I rather not have anything on my wrist. I don't always have my phone, especially at the other guys park where they x-ray for anything in your pockets and make you put things in a locker which I don't want to do either. The card has it all.... room key, park ticket, fast pass, charges. You can put it in your swim suit pocket for the pool, etc. Just too dam convenient. Bye bye wrist band, glad to see it go.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Are there any plans for Disney to install wireless charging throughout the parks and transportation options? MDE and the Play Disney apps are serious battery hogs. As others have said, it would stink to get back to your room at the end of the night and not be able to unlock your door because your phones are all dead.

crawale

I can already see problem. What about kids or other people without a smart phone? Also it was great not to have to take a phone to the pool or water park since the magic band is waterproof. I hope, as they say, they will keep the bands for a long while as not everyone has or wants a smart phone.

crawale

Are there any plans for Disney to install wireless charging throughout the parks and transportation options? MDE and the Play Disney apps are serious battery hogs. As others have said, it would stink to get back to your room at the end of the night and not be able to unlock your door because your phones are all dead.
You can buy a phone charger cell and once purchased you can exchange it for a recharged cell at no charge. The cell is available in all parks and hotels. It is a little slow to charge but much faster than the chargers at the DVC lounge in Epcot.

crawale

That is disappointing. MagicBands > cell phones at WDW for several reasons:
  • Children without cell phones can use MagicBands.
  • MagicBands don't need to be charged.
  • MagicBands are all waterproof.
  • MagicBands are a tangible reminder of the Disney difference. They remind you that WDW isn't a normal place where you pay with your cell phone or a credit card; rather, there is something fun and "magical" about using a MagicBand to enter rides, pay for meals, or open your room. It might sound silly, but this is part of the reason why people are so sad to take them off at the end of their trip.
  • They reduce the need for cell phones. The best times at WDW are when you're free of distraction from the outside world and you can be wholly immersed in the environment. Cell phones—with social media, work emails, etc.—work against that immersion. I think any new plan that encourages guests to use their phones more is a step in the wrong direction.
If I am going on water rides or RRC I don't take my phone with me. Yes, some of us can actually be without a phone for several hours at a time. Magic bands were a fantastic idea. If you lose your phone or it gets damaged you are snookered.

lazyboy97o

I can already see problem. What about kids or other people without a smart phone? Also it was great not to have to take a phone to the pool or water park since the magic band is waterproof. I hope, as they say, they will keep the bands for a long while as not everyone has or wants a smart phone.
People without a smartphone can continue to use MagicBands or RFID cards.

You can buy a phone charger cell and once purchased you can exchange it for a recharged cell at no charge. The cell is available in all parks and hotels. It is a little slow to charge but much faster than the chargers at the DVC lounge in Epcot.
You can get a cheaper, much larger capacity, faster charging battery from companies such as Anker.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You will still be able to purchase MagicBands- they are just going to stop giving them to everyone with a hotel reservation for free.

JusticeDisney

I guess I'm just weird, but I love the idea of the Magic Band. As soon as my plane touches down in Orlando, nothing more exciting than throwing on the Magic Band and getting ready for all the fun that lies ahead. I also liked seeing everyone else wear theirs, especially when we take our day trips over to Universal. To me, the Magic band is just something special and unique to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom