News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

donsullivan

Premium Member
Sorry if I missed this, but will AP holders still get free bands? Not a big deal, I love the bands and have bought them before.
AP is still getting them right now, but unclear how that will work in January. I just renewed my AP and my MB shipped today.

The key here is that MB's are not going away, they will just stop sending them to you for free with every room reservation. You can still buy them and you can still use old ones from previous trips. Or if you prefer you'll be able to use your smartphone.

Jimmym

Does this mean that my grandchildren will need to have a smart phone. Also I though that the Magic Bands were used by Disney to track crowd flow.

Minnesota disney fan

Call me a dinosaur but I have no use for anything other than a old flip phone that are cheap and and all I need it for is receive a call and make a call
LOL! I guess there are now 2 of us in the World! I have an old flip phone and I buy minutes when I need to. I only turn it on to make a call if I absolutely have to while out. Otherwise, it's turned off and in my purse. I don't want to be connected all the time, but maybe that's because of my age (you know, the dinosaur age before all this new tech?). I will cry when my phone finally dies, sigh!!!

TrainsOfDisney

Does this mean that my grandchildren will need to have a smart phone. Also I though that the Magic Bands were used by Disney to track crowd flow.

The smartphone will be an additional option. So you can use a magic band, you can use a key to the world card, or you can use your smartphone.

I’ve been asking for key cards on most of my trips this whole time. I prefer them.

HansGruber

You do realize Disney and everyone else these days has or is going to online menus for dining, right? I was just at Bartaco here in Orlando today, and I had to read a QR code at my table to see the menu and to place my order. (Any of you Disney menu swipers out there, hold onto them, they may never be back.)
I don't know what your point is.

My point is, it takes forever just to get through the front gates. This digital initiative is only going to slow that down.

disneygeek90

I wonder what the MB expiry dates are, I have a 4 year old MB I'm fine with using again if I can.
I've used some magicbands basically since magicbands have been in existence. Only potential issue is it may not "read" automatically for photopass on rides. Park entrance and tapping for payment should be fine.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I've used some magicbands basically since magicbands have been in existence. Only potential issue is it may not "read" automatically for photopass on rides. Park entrance and tapping for payment should be fine.
This could explain why we did not get some ride photos last year. We mixed and matched bands and pucks from years past to go with outfits, holiday themes, etc. I assumed if it worked to tap into the park or FP+, it would work for the ride photos. We've done so much swapping I have no idea which are new, which are old... Might be worth always getting the RFID-enabled KTTW card new with every visit and carry it in the wallet/purse to get the photos. We would continue using the old bands/pucks for room/pool access, FP+, room charging, etc.

Mickey5150

If this is anything like at Disneyland all I can say is FINALLY. So much easier to have 1 person holding all the park passes and fastpasses. Walk right up, swipe thru all the passes and good to go. No more sitting there, waiting and waiting for people to try to hold their wrists the right way. For those who don't want things to be quicker and easier they can still use MagicBands or passes or keys so absolutely nothing changes besides the need to spend money if you want a MagicBand. Nothing changes.

MagicWDI

This could explain why we did not get some ride photos last year. We mixed and matched bands and pucks from years past to go with outfits, holiday themes, etc. I assumed if it worked to tap into the park or FP+, it would work for the ride photos. We've done so much swapping I have no idea which are new, which are old... Might be worth always getting the RFID-enabled KTTW card new with every visit and carry it in the wallet/purse to get the photos. We would continue using the old bands/pucks for room/pool access, FP+, room charging, etc.
Can anyone confirm if the KTTW cards have the long range capability as the Second Gen MagicBands? Last I can recall, they cannot since they need a battery to enable the long range capabilities while the close contact NFC chips do not.

But I know my memory may be a bit fuzzy...

CaptainAmerica

Correct. When mixing and matching, always try to use your new puck on your old band (not that this matters with the new change).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom