News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

aaronml

This is super frustrating, albeit not surprising. I had a feeling this would happen at some point after they introduced the mobile key feature.

Problems I can see with this approach:
- People’s phones dying and not being able to enter the park / use an FP+
- People missing out on PhotoPass ride photos that use the long range RFID chip
- People taking longer to enter/scan in the FP+ line due to having to get their KTTW card out of their wallet, etc. (think about how a cashless line at a grocery store usually moves fastest)
Oh, also people getting locked out of their rooms at the end of the day due to a dead battery. This definitely complicates the whole DTR (Direct to Room) process since it means that some folks will only have a mobile key and not a KTTW card unless they go to the front desk and ask for one

VJ

I am not going to feel comfortable doing that, not with my iPhone. I don’t tap my phone for anything, there is a lot of personal information on my phone and I don’t want to risk my information. Now I could be wrong about it but to me it is not worth the risk.
i'm pretty sure it sends over the exact same amount of information a regular magicband would...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh, also people getting locked out of their rooms at the end of the day due to a dead battery. This definitely complicates the whole DTR (Direct to Room) process since it means that some folks will only have a mobile key and not a KTTW card unless they go to the front desk and ask for one
Apple is working on system to allow unlocking in the event of a dead battery

aaronml

Is Disney scooping Apple’s keynote next week? Will iOS finally allow greater NFC functionality?
They are using HID/ Assa Abloy Seos technology for this over BLE. Same technology as current Mobile Key as well as HID Mobile Access if you work somewhere/ live somewhere that uses it.

All of the 2nd generation Touch Points have BLE support. This has been a long time in the making.

MrPromey

If Disney were to actually charge the dollar or two these things really cost, I don't think most people would care that they aren't free anymore and would be content to buy them for the family members in their party that it might make more sense for (i.e. kids) but I'm guessing that even at the reduced rate, they're still going to be unreasonably marked up like any other piece of "merchandise" in the parks.

These are really something that should be sold as a utility and priced accordingly. I get that in the early years, there was a push to make the system profitable or at least break-even but if they're ending the complimentary nature of bands for people staying on property, that's a huge piece of their ongoing operational costs. It would be nice to see that reflected in standard band retail pricing.

Of course, the novelty and LE bands are another story but from my own anecdotal experience, I've never seen many of those around the parks which to me suggests they've not been big sellers.

I'm wondering though - thought one of the benefits of the magic bands was the ability to use their distance tracking to monitor people's days in the the parks to figure out cost savings. Curious if they think they'll have enough people using their phones in this capacity rather than opting for the cards that this won't have much of an impact or if they're actually backing off the data collection a little.

I would imagine that they'll get a less complete picture since not all members of a family will be walking around with smart phones and out of those that are, not all will likely have the Disney software installed and active for the whole day, especially with older and younger family members.

Last edited:

jt04

I think they might make it so you pair your phone to your magic band (purchased seperately) if you choose.

PS- predicted everything going to the app. Definitely pros and cons. Depends on the code.

Rider

It was.

Now, as then, there should be a choice for guests not to use their own personal possessions to replace a company tool. Especially since a previously free option is being removed.

Thankfully I don’t wear a shackle.

I am not going to feel comfortable doing that, not with my iPhone. I don’t tap my phone for anything, there is a lot of personal information on my phone and I don’t want to risk my information. Now I could be wrong about it but to me it is not worth the risk.

I find it silly that people are concerned about giving "big Disney" your phone for Fastpass and admission when Google, Apple, ATT, Verizon, etc already control everything about your phone.

But anyway the article says cards will still be available.

You can still use the MagicBand. You just have to pay for one now. I will.

I probably will too. But 1) I'd rather not pay extra for things that used to be complimentary and 2) there are plenty of first-time guests who won't buy MagicBands, and they will miss out on the better experience that MagicBands provide.

MyMagic+ already has reliability issues. I don't see how replacing free MagicBands, currently standardized for all resort guests, with a variety of cell phones (with varying operating systems, varying NFC capabilities, varying battery capacities, varying conditions) improves the guest experience.

It is bizarre that Disney is cutting complimentary MagicBands, the guest-facing cornerstone of their billion dollar MyMagic+ initiative.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is BLE based though, so won’t benefit from that unfortunately
But its a hint of where thing are going. In the not too distant future this type of system will be commonplace and users will have a lot more confidence in it. Hopefully :)

jt04

It was.

Now, as then, there should be a choice for guests not to use their own personal possessions to replace a company tool. Especially since a previously free option is being removed.

Thankfully I don’t wear a shackle.

Agreed, this should be optional. Bringing back ticket books utilizing the standby queue would work.

Pirate Magic

i'm pretty sure it sends over the exact same amount of information a regular magicband would...

Still not going to chance it, especially with Disney and the on going problems with their Magic Bands. They are not going mess up my phone that I pay for.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It is bizarre that Disney is cutting complimentary MagicBands, the guest-facing cornerstone of their billion dollar MyMagic+ initiative.
I think they've figured out that it wasn't worth what they paid for it, so it's time to let the dumb tourists guests help pay for it directly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom