Disney was Stupid

JillC LI

And the AA hippogriff startled the crap out of me because I was busy taking pictures.

OK, I rode this attraction in December, and I'm not sure what AA you're referring to. Can someone help?

"Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" is no "Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid" or even "Toy Story Midway Mania" but it'll do. :)

No it's not, ut those rides are not considered thrill rides so I wouldn't even put them in the same category. Apples and oranges. I enjoy all three attractions. I love Disney World, but I also loved the WWOHP and FJ.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
I see no reason on Earth that Disney should use someone else's material. In fact to do so pretty much is like saying you have no good material left, not exactly great for your movie business...
Or Marvel in addition to the two mentioned above. Your post makes me laugh. Disney is now the king of buying IP rather than creating it

The Empress Lilly

I see no reason on Earth that Disney should use someone else's material. In fact to do so pretty much is like saying you have no good material left, not exactly great for your movie business...
It's odd, isn't it? From a creative powerhouse Disney has been turned into a marketing-synergising powerhouse. Disney now identifies as its greatest strength not its ability to create, but to sell.

From Pizar down to Lucasfilm it is all one big succes, but it remains a bit odd. For one, Disney represents a certain emotional bandwith to me, in which I find many of these acquisitions to be an ill-fit. Buzz Lightyear is still not Disney to me. As for Captain America in a Disney Park, God forbid.

Disneyhead'71

OK, I rode this attraction in December, and I'm not sure what AA you're referring to. Can someone help?

No it's not, ut those rides are not considered thrill rides so I wouldn't even put them in the same category. Apples and oranges. I enjoy all three attractions. I love Disney World, but I also loved the WWOHP and FJ.
See, I didn't consider HPatFJ a thrill ride until my early teen daughters said it was the scariest ride they had ever ridden. I was like REALLY? They have ridden 310', 96mph coasters and they thought HPatFJ was the scariest thing ever....that is until I chucked them out of the boat into the open ocean out on the Molasses Reef off of Key Largo. :)

bubbles1812

Original Poster
Ok folks. I'm back from Orlando and will write up my impressions on the Universal side of things tomorrow (A hint.. Was very impressed)

It's odd, isn't it? From a creative powerhouse Disney has been turned into a marketing-synergising powerhouse. Disney now identifies as its greatest strength not its ability to create, but to sell.

From Pizar down to Lucasfilm it is all one big succes, but it remains a bit odd. For one, Disney represents a certain emotional bandwith to me, in which I find many of these acquisitions to be an ill-fit. Buzz Lightyear is still not Disney to me. As for Captain America in a Disney Park, God forbid.

It's interesting you say that about Buzz Lightyear. I definitely have things compartmentalized in my mind. Woody Buzz and the like are definitely just under the Pixar heading. I know the movies were distributed by Disney and the characters are owned by Disney but they are not "classic Disney" to me. I think a lot if people think the same way. When I hear Disney, my mind does not go to the Pixar characters unless someone says "Disney Pixar."

Same goes for anything Marvel and definitely anything Star Wars. Star Wars is not Disney to me. If anything, I still have the 20th Century Fox theme associated with it (actually thought that theme meant Star Wars was going to begin when I was little)

BryceM

See, I didn't consider HPatFJ a thrill ride until my early teen daughters said it was the scariest ride they had ever ridden. I was like REALLY? They have ridden 310', 96mph coasters and they thought HPatFJ was the scariest thing ever....that is until I chucked them out of the boat into the open ocean out on the Molasses Reef off of Key Largo. :)
When I went to The Wizarding World for the first time, I proudly proclaimed that it was the scariest ride at Islands of Adventure. The motions are fine, but the dragon, spiders, dementors really freaked me out.

My mom has been on it countless times since it first opened, and she still has never managed to see more than half of the ride because she keeps her eyes closed... Haha.

BigThunderMatt

If Iger's plan of supersaturation goes into full swing I predict Star Wars will be the next "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". Seriously though, I think people may be slightly over estimating Star Wars popularity. I think the 2nd trilogy may have actually hurt the brand. Although I think Clone Wars was good for the Brand.

Star Wars was oversaturated enough before Disney ever got their hands on it. The plethora of books and comics, the games, the TV series, 6 movies, the endless toys. Certain elements work better than others. I'm a huge fan of the game Star Wars: The Old Republic because the fact that it takes place about 3,500 years before Episode I gives them so much creative freedom.

If Disney chooses to draw from the right elements for a Star Wars land it would be a huge hit. But if they draw from the wrong ones it could be a disaster. And right now they're leaning towards the latter. Star Tours II draws heavily from the prequel trilogy. 4 of the 6 worlds featured in the attraction are exclusively from the prequels (Naboo, Coruscant, Kashyyk, and Geonosis). Grant it, in terms of the Expanded Universe, these worlds always existed even during the time of the original trilogy, but as far as the films are concerned they are only explored in the prequels. More casual fans are going to only associate them in that light and will probably think less of it. Even of the worlds that ARE featured in the Original Trilogy, only one, Hoth, actually links to that time period. The Tatooine experience revolves around pod-racing which was a prequel element.

Rambling aside, Disney seems to go for the most kid-friendly options when utilizing IP. And unfortunately, that likely will sour away most Star Wars fans.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
Okie dokie... Here goes my thoughts on Universal itself. To my complete and utter surprise, while my favorite land was HP, for a park as a whole, I actually liked Studios over Islands of Adventure, though both are great. I think I just enjoyed the slightly slower pace of the park and I actually loved all the long pre shows (minus Twister's but Ill get to that). It may not be quite as highly themed or organized as IOA but I liked the movie lot feel. Plus everything was set up for Mardi Gras and looked great, which I think made the experience extra special. I just felt like I could go at my own pace and when you slow down to look around there is really quite a lot to see.

Now for the rides...Not going to talk about all of them but some. Minion Mayhem was very cute. As I said before, I generally liked the pre shows and this was one of the best. It was also very fun to see the minions when you came out of the ride. And props to whatever CM was dancing in there with the little kids. He showed so much enthusiasm given that it was 9 in the morning.

Shrek surprised me. I'd forgotten what a cute storyline it is. It'll probably get more and more dated and eventually need replacing but I'd recommend it to anyone now. Heck I'd tell people go see T2 because that is a very fun show even though it is most definitely dated.

Mummy is such an excellent ride. It was the only one I rode twice (at that point in the trip my feet where hurting pretty bad so I needed a break so decided I would only ride things once... So me deciding to go on mummy twice says quite a lot). And the ride looked great too. I love the animatronic mummy. Scarab room looked great to my eyes. And the roller coaster part is just too much fun. That fire!

Disaster is an underrated gem. That's another where I have to give the lead CM props. She was so enthusiastic and cute. If she didnt enjoy her job, I certainly couldn't tell.

Also enjoyed the Simpsons ride quite a bit. Though ill be honest, I missed Back to the Future. But that's probably partially because I'm not a huge Simpsons fan. The area is very well themed though. Crazy fun colors. And I saw a lot of people getting into the games being offered there.

My last thing I did was the Universal Horror Make Up Show. Found it excellent. It's relatively short quite funny and pretty interesting to boot. And seeing all the clips of Universal's monsters made me wish that much more that there was a ride that featured them. I know they have the Beetlejuice Revue but man, if they had a Haunted Mansion so to speak that featured all their great monsters... Think that would just be spectacular

I didnt eat anything really special in yhe park that I can recall but I had a good burger (and margarita) at Margaritaville that really hit the spot. It's a fun eatery.

The park itself was very very clean and like I said, decked out for Mardi Gras. It made things super fun. I unfortunately didnt see the parade (feet called it quits and wanted the pool by the afternoon) but I've been told it too is excellent.

One final note. The Transformers building is HUGE! I watched some workers on the side of it for a bit. Looked like they were doing some touch up paint job. And the amount walled off for the HP 2.0 area is very obviously quite massive. It was very exciting to see the construction area under Dragon Challenge in IOA and then to see the big construction area in Universal. I couldn't really see anything except the Gringotts show building which looked to my eyes bigger even than the Transformers building.

One thing that did surprise me... Very few people seemed to know that that huge construction zone was for HP. I talked to several CMs about it and quite a few were surprised I knew. I feel like it is the worst kept secret on the Internet but it would appear that to the average guest, the announcement, whenever it comes, will be quite the pleasant surprise to a good amount of people. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though.

Overall, a very good experience. And whenever I get back to Florida/Disney, I plan to keep including Universal as part of my trips

djlaosc

Okie dokie... Here goes my thoughts on Universal itself. To my complete and utter surprise, while my favorite land was HP, for a park as a whole, I actually liked Studios over Islands of Adventure, though both are great. I think I just enjoyed the slightly slower pace of the park and I actually loved all the long pre shows (minus Twister's but Ill get to that). It may not be quite as highly themed or organized as IOA but I liked the movie lot feel. Plus everything was set up for Mardi Gras and looked great, which I think made the experience extra special. I just felt like I could go at my own pace and when you slow down to look around there is really quite a lot to see.

At the moment, Universal is my #8 park (would come after MK, Epcot, DHS, DAK, IOA, SWO, BGTB - although they are not in any order), but it is the park I am most looking forward to going to next time, due to the additions since last time (Despicable Me, Universal Parade, Universal Cinematic Spectacular, Transformers, hopegfully HP2.0) - it's going to be like a new park, especially when they redo KidZone as well!

djlaosc

Now for the rides...Not going to talk about all of them but some. Minion Mayhem was very cute. As I said before, I generally liked the pre shows and this was one of the best. It was also very fun to see the minions when you came out of the ride. And props to whatever CM was dancing in there with the little kids. He showed so much enthusiasm given that it was 9 in the morning.

How is Despicable Me set up? Is it one big simulator like Star Tours or is it lots of smaller simulators like The Simpsons?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom