Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Here is the Disney+ 3D lineup for Vision Pro on day one.

DisneyAVP_3DMovies-1152x1536.png

DisneyCane

Once they come out with a version for half the price, the it will take off
I don't know how soon that will be possible while still making a profit on it. For the product to perform as well as it does requires expensive technology. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is $1,200. I don't think it is possible to make a vision pro for only 50% more and turn a profit.

I would think they'd lower prices before cutting production if it would be reasonably profitable to do so. While I think that there can be some really cool applications for high end AR/VR, I don't think that using them to create a virtual movie theatre is a great use.

I could see some really great applications in creating attractions but the cost per unit, especially with the abuse they would get in daily use at a theme park, is too prohibitive.

Fox&Hound

This looks very impressive but I feel like if incorporated into the parks it will quickly get outdated. That is the problem with chasing technology. Newer headsets will keep being worked on and whatever simulation activity they have at WDW will quickly look old and stale.

peng

Even though I like VR, I wasn't impressed with the Vision Pro, making its features so focused on video/photos and productivity was a horrible idea. Productivity apps in VR are hard to use and while environments are impressive, it wasn't enough. The price of the vision pro made it a tough sell for consumers and unlike the quest or Valve's attempts there is next to no software for it. Yes gen alpha seems to be growing up in VR, but unfortunately I feel the ship has sailed on VR being used for no more than games and watching the occasional movie on Virtual Desktop/Bigscreen. That being said, the most fun I have ever seen my parents have in a video game has been with VR stuff, so I don't want it to die completely.
I don't know how soon that will be possible while still making a profit on it. For the product to perform as well as it does requires expensive technology. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is $1,200. I don't think it is possible to make a vision pro for only 50% more and turn a profit.

I would think they'd lower prices before cutting production if it would be reasonably profitable to do so. While I think that there can be some really cool applications for high end AR/VR, I don't think that using them to create a virtual movie theatre is a great use.

I could see some really great applications in creating attractions but the cost per unit, especially with the abuse they would get in daily use at a theme park, is too prohibitive.
I have an idea where I can use VR stuff in more of a play setting, sort of a linear sleep no more, but since most VR attractions in local parks have failed spectacularly and both Disney and universal have canned their VR parks projects, I don't see disney or anyone using vision pro for theme parks.

Mireille

Premium Member
This looks very impressive but I feel like if incorporated into the parks it will quickly get outdated. That is the problem with chasing technology. Newer headsets will keep being worked on and whatever simulation activity they have at WDW will quickly look old and stale.
Pal Vision Pro.

1714047765469.png

Saying that, if they had a real virtual WDW type app, recreating all the parks, that might be the one thing that could possibly convince me if it was better than just using VR Google Earth.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm SHOCKED people have little interest in a $4000 toy. Shocked, I tell you!
This is what was said of the original Mac, and see where it is today.

Having tried Apple Vision Pro, it is clear to me that is very much the future of computing as we know it, and as pricing/performance improves, we will all be using these types of devices just like we use a phone. The experience is quite incredible with Vision Pro.

Ayla

Having tried Apple Vision Pro, it is clear to me that is very much the future of computing as we know it, and as pricing/performance improves, we will all be using these types of devices just like we use a phone. The experience is quite incredible with Vision Pro.
I am almost 50 years old. Not a chance. lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There will be a day when A/VR is good enough, light enough, and cheap enough to be a general consumer 'must have.'

This is apparently, not that day.

A/VR like the vision pro has been around for years for industrial purposes at that price point or greater. And those who use it love it. But that doesn't make it a general consumer product.

Yet.

UNCgolf

Companies keep trying to make VR/AR happen, but I don’t think it’s going to.

I think that AR will eventually see regular, widespread use -- I'm less convinced that VR will ever be more than a niche (at least until technology has progressed far, far beyond anything we are remotely close to being able to make today).

I've also used the Vision Pro, and while the tech is impressive and a step up, it still has the same fundamental problem as other headsets. It just doesn't offer much that can't be done (and often done better) with existing, cheaper products (this is where the Mac comparison falls apart).

Until a company is able to come up with software etc. that offers a better experience for everyday use/regular tasks than a computer (or even smart phone/tablet for some things) it's not going to become a mainstream, daily use product.

That was my biggest takeaway from using it -- that even Apple hasn't yet figured out a way to make it actually appealing for general use or an improvement over existing tech for most tasks. A laptop is an easier/better solution for most of what the Vision Pro offers (there are obviously some exceptions to this).

While sales would surely go up if the price was reduced, I think actual usage wouldn't be significantly different than prior headsets. It would be used occasionally but mostly gathering dust for the majority of buyers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom