Disney Visa Card Points

CamiLyn227

Hello! I am currently in the very beginning stages of planning our anual summer Disney trip. Ive been saving up the points I earn with my Disney Visa for about 2 years now. I now have enough to knock off a big chunck of the cost of our vacation, but I don't know if I should use them. I am worried that I will wish I would have saved them for a later time. I thought about using some of them and saving some for later. I could just use the amount of points that will expire the soonest. Or maybe I should just use them all then start saving them again.

Any thoughts? What would you do?

WishIWasAtWDW

i was just recently faced with this same dilemma for my upcoming december trip. ultimately, its up to you what you decide but here was my logic. i decided not to use my points yet and save them up until i am able to pay off a large chunk of a trip (maybe the entire resort cost). my points don't start expiring until 2014 so i figure i have plenty of time to save up. i know its hard to save the points but i think that it will be worth it. on the flip side, i think if you really need to save some money now, that you should go ahead and use the points. hope this helps a little!

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I always worry that they will change the rules or something and I will lose all the points I saved (rational or not - just a cynic I guess!). Personally, I would use the points and put the equivalent cash value in a separate account (savings or CD although interest rates are peanuts right now) and use THAT for the next trip. That way you ensure use your points and still have something put away for next time!

Upvote 0

pacochran

We always use them no matter how many on each trip, but because we are DVC we use them for other things. This year we have a ton as it has been two years since we went, they will pay for all of meals on Disney property and spending money.

Upvote 0

DisneyWeather!

We usually wait until the bill needs to be paid and cash all of the points towards the price of the trip. As it will be more than two years since the last trip, it will knock a nice chunck off of the bottom line. I love that!

Upvote 0

ann0d

We go about every other year, and use them all up.
Say something would happen and you wouldn't be able to use the ones that expire.
I say use them all up and start saving again.

Upvote 0

dizzney

We use them each trip we go on, and enjoy them at restaurants as we are also DVC. Just put my sons college tuition on the card and will pay bill in full just to get the points! Anther dinner paid, it works for us

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I guess it would depend on when the points expire. I would generally load the points on to my reward card monthly. I need to call for a new card as the old one expires next month and we will not use the points before then. We generally pack the points on and used it for dining while at the world and purchases. I like to spread the resort bill, or in our case the campsite bill, out over several months and take care of it that way. Depending on the length of stay, people going, and the time from the last trip it can really cover a great deal of dining.

Upvote 0

Funfy

We use whatever is available each year-but we go every year usually. We are DVC so room cost is not an issue. We try to put the big bills-DVC dues, taxes, college tuition on this card and then send the cash to pay it off. Usually this pays for a special treat or we use for the odd charge here and there.

Upvote 0
I am genuinely jealous of those of you who are eligible to use the Disney Visa card. Being Canadian, we aren't able to use the card. If I could, I would use it for everything.

Upvote 0

CamiLyn227

Original Poster
I always worry that they will change the rules or something and I will lose all the points I saved (rational or not - just a cynic I guess!). Personally, I would use the points and put the equivalent cash value in a separate account (savings or CD although interest rates are peanuts right now) and use THAT for the next trip. That way you ensure use your points and still have something put away for next time!

This sounds like a GREAT idea!

Thank you so much for all of your responses. It really helps to have opinions from others!:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom