News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

Patcheslee

I was on the fence about going to this in a couple weeks. While watching the video and the sword routine I thought "this music would fit if they threw in fire dancing", so the entertainment part is more my style. It's really going to come down to day of if it's not sold out and whether DD10 will be tired.

Disone

I too was on the fence. A money grab clearly directed at the 2% Club. Or so I thought. Now after having attended, and a full disclosure I got in for free through a series of fortunate events, I've done a one-eighty on my perspective on this offering.

I would pay to do this again. And no not because of the free ice cream treats, popcorn, and soda, although that is a nice benefit. Not even because of the unique stage show. I didn't really love it although everyone else who saw it seemed to really enjoy it. I thought it was just okay. I would probably skip it the next time I go. I did really like watching Maleficent run through the park breathing fire. But even that's not the main reason.

Mainly I realize that it's only slightly more expensive than a one-day one-park ticket. For that app charge over a one-day one-park ticket, you get everything I already mentioned, Plus extremely Limited wait times for the attractions. I was shocked but they were using the Fastpass line as the standby line at mine train for this event. It literally was about 10 minutes long. I was very pleased that I could almost walk on Peter Pan's flight. Again they were not using Fastpass but they were using the fast pass line, the physically Short Line, as the standby Que.

The only thing I saw that had to wait was Space Mountain. Not only did they add the sounds of the villains to the mountain, they cranked up the speakers with some heavy metal like music. And finally they turned off all the lights. Honestly there's an argument to be made here that this should be the normal version of Space Mountain. It was intense! I know every left turn right turn dip and Rise of the attraction. But what a difference it makes when you cannot see the next maneuver coming. You know it's going to turn left next but now you can't see exactly what it's going to do it. I'm talking pitch black folks. Most of the time anyway. Every once in awhile little creep of light will come in but for the most part you can't see your hand in front of your face and it really heightens the experience of this attraction. I cannot say how much I really enjoyed riding Space Mountain in the complete darkness.

The value here is you could really get things done in the 3 hours. It would be easy to get done in the following order. Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's flight, Mine Train, and space mountain. Along the way there will be time to watch both Maleficent go through the park and the villains stage show if you wanted to.

I now see the value of the event.

Magenta Panther

I was impressed. He sounded a lot like Geoffrey Rush.

He sure did! Fantastic! Wouldn't it be cool if he and one of the excellent Jack Sparrow impersonators would perform on a regular basis in Adventureland? Talk about plussing. I'd watch the heck out of that. I've been pushing for a real Pirates tavern in Adventureland (which could really use some new attractions) featuring live performers - it seems like such a natural, and Barbossa and Sparrow could be part of that. I'd much rather have that than anything with Indiana Jones. Come on, TDO, make it happen!

mm52200

He sure did! Fantastic! Wouldn't it be cool if he and one of the excellent Jack Sparrow impersonators would perform on a regular basis in Adventureland? Talk about plussing. I'd watch the heck out of that. I've been pushing for a real Pirates tavern in Adventureland (which could really use some new attractions) featuring live performers - it seems like such a natural, and Barbossa and Sparrow could be part of that. I'd much rather have that than anything with Indiana Jones. Come on, TDO, make it happen!
The Jack Sparrow pirate tutorial used to happen every day for years. Now Jack Sparrow does daily meet and greet sets outside.

Kman101

I thought Villains Unite the Night was really good in a lot of spots but I agree a little too much dialogue, slightly repetitive and dragged a bit in spots. It has potential if they fine tune it a bit. The effects were all very good.

I mean, the event was basically as advertised, After Hours with Villains. A stage show, Maleficent "roaming" and event merchandise. It's a decent way to leverage the popularity of the villains, just needs a little fine tuning. It has potential. I can understand why some folks don't know what to make of it. I liked it.

Live Barbossa was fantastic!!

SM was meh as usual. Please please please get the refurb you deserve soon!

I don't know if it's overly repeatable but it's a nice offering and nice little plus to After Hours. For those who want villains and low wait times but may not want or aren't able to attend a Halloween party this is a nice option.

EDIT: The villains "kiss goodnight" at the train station was a great surprise! I thought it was cool. I like the idea, on paper, of villains taking over the park "after hours". It has potential. They just need to not get too greedy and over do it with allowing too many people in or it will lose it's appeal.

Also would have liked a little more with Maleficent roaming. Maybe a mini parade with the villains and maybe two floats would suffice.

I know some hated the DJ but I think it was an effort to address the lack of "party atmosphere" at After Hours. I got a survey from the last after hours I attended.

KikoKea

As someone who enjoys the Disney villains, cheers for Shadowman at MNSSHP, collects Villains mugs, and was excited for the event, this is my take:
DH and I (APs who go several times a year) went to the Villain's After Hours on Thurs, and left with mixed feelings. We liked Maleficent at night very much and that the ride wait times were low or walk-ons. The "free" treats were plentiful with minimum wait, but we did not pay for any of the special desserts they had- we rarely eat treats at the park anyway, but enjoyed the popcorn and ice cream that night.

As for the Villain aspect, there was special lighting throughout the park, a few live characters in PoC, and SMt was in the dark with loud music and some Ursula laughs. The Villains Unite the Night was OK, but we had no desire to see it again. Each villain brought someone to perform akin to a martial arts routine, but, IMHO, their performances were below what we expected for Disney. The show seemed to drag, despite the Villain actors who played their parts well, but the castle part was very cool, and it incorporated fireworks that were effective. The DJ did his best to get the crowd worked up but, to us, the excitement wasn't there. Maybe it was just too hot and humid.

One of the biggest disappointments was the music. I thought there would be plenty of old Disney Villain songs to sing along with, like the Siamese Cat song, Poor Unfortunate Souls, or Be Prepared, but most of it was background music from the movies. Maybe I missed a song while on a ride, but we recognized little. Before leaving, we hung out in the hub listening to the DJ playing pop music, which was better than the Villain music, which it drowned out.

While we understood that it wasn't a full-blown party like MNSSHP, which is our absolute favorite time at WDW, we both doubted we'd go again for another Villain's Night or any After Hours event. After Hours is good way to enjoy the park with less crowds, and the Villains were a nice touch, but we agreed that for us, it was not worth the $$$. Of course, YMMV.

Cmdr_Crimson

EDIT: The villains "kiss goodnight" at the train station was a great surprise! I thought it was cool. I like the idea, on paper, of villains taking over the park "after hours". It has potential. They just need to not get too greedy and over do it with allowing too many people in or it will lose it's appeal.

They seemed to gave that idea during DL's Halloweentime in 2009 with this ad...

Squishy

Anyone know whats the song that plays when the dragon comes through? Tried to shazam it but nothing popped up, I guess it's song made specifically for this event?

Animaniac93-98

While we understood that it wasn't a full-blown party like MNSSHP,

That's the biggest problem for me, and I liked the show based on this site's YouTube video.

The whole event is MNSSHP-ite, but at a higher price point (up to $60 more, depending upon the night this year). Yes you get free treats and beverages and short waits, but lines for rides have never been an issue for me at the Halloween parties. The Halloween party is also 2 hours longer.

For what they're offering, I don't think $139+ tax is worth it.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
That's the biggest problem for me, and I liked the show based on this site's YouTube video.

The whole event is MNSSHP-ite, but at a higher price point (up to $60 more, depending upon the night this year). Yes you get free treats and beverages and short waits, but lines for rides have never been an issue for me at the Halloween parties. The Halloween party is also 2 hours longer.

For what they're offering, I don't think $139+ tax is worth it.

It’s really an apples and oranges comparison. Holiday parties are for the mass market, the AH events are geared as a vip experience. It’s intentionally marketed and priced to keep “normal” guests away. Unfortunately Disney made this decision long ago to cater offerings to the more well to do (profitable)and leave the rest to deal with crowds and substandard experiences.

The total number of admissions (for now) is significantly lower than a holiday party. Whereas you may wait 20 minutes for an E at the parties, there is no wait at the after hours. The park is also empty, no crowds, no noise, etc. Unfortunately as mentioned the AH events start immediately at park closing and there is no buffer to get Day guests out.

jt04

It’s really an apples and oranges comparison. Holiday parties are for the mass market, the AH events are geared as a vip experience. It’s intentionally marketed and priced to keep “normal” guests away. Unfortunately Disney made this decision long ago to cater offerings to the more well to do (profitable)and leave the rest to deal with crowds and substandard experiences.

The total number of admissions (for now) is significantly lower than a holiday party. Whereas you may wait 20 minutes for an E at the parties, there is no wait at the after hours. The park is also empty, no crowds, no noise, etc. Unfortunately as mentioned the AH events start immediately at park closing and there is no buffer to get Day guests out.

If they opened the park an hour early on these days they could close ride queues early to at least clear them out beforehand. SM was especially crowded.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s really an apples and oranges comparison. Holiday parties are for the mass market, the AH events are geared as a vip experience. It’s intentionally marketed and priced to keep “normal” guests away.

What if anything supports your last statement? Besides that it’s sold as a special event with limited tickets?

I see nothing that they are marketing to a different demographic... or that they are altering the product to target a different kind of customer.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
What if anything supports your last statement? Besides that it’s sold as a special event with limited tickets?

I see nothing that they are marketing to a different demographic... or that they are altering the product to target a different kind of customer.
It’s marketed with their enchanting extras along with all their other upcharge packages. Does it need to have a flashing light and siren blaring 1% only to satisfy you? Disney pay attention to @flynnibus!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom