Disney Vacation Club Star View Station - New lounge coming to Disneyland Resort in 2023

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Vacation Club is now developing its first Member Lounge at Disneyland Resort in California. Called “Disney Vacation Club Star View Station” and anticipated to open in the first half of 2023, the new lounge will be located in the heart of Tomorrowland at Disneyland Park, in the space on the second floor of the Star Wars: Launch Bay building. The sleekly designed “space” will be home to a dedicated Disney Vacation Club Member Services team, as well as plenty of casual seating, complimentary Wi-Fi, device-charging stations and more.

The new lounge will be open daily during scheduled hours to eligible* Disney Vacation Club Members with valid park tickets and reservations to Disneyland Park.

wml63787489792.jpg

wml39749234203.jpg

choco choco

What the heck is the point of this lounge? Are they trying to piggyback off the airport lounge craze? Those lounges have a real practical purpose (waiting spot for travelers) but with perks like free food and drinks. I am guessing Disney is not giving free food or drinks.

And, frankly, most airport lounges are pretty lousy. The food is bland (terminal food is expensive but at least there’s some quality to it) and the spaces are uninspiring (often trapped deep within the bowels of an airport building) and featuring super neutral decor.

Without the captive, waiting clientele, why would anyone want to go in here? Seems like its only practical purpose is as a cooling off zone. I would like to suggest alternate uses for the space, how about: Make a nap zone for little toddlers? Or a stroller parking lot so they don’t clutter the walkways?

CJR

Better than a pointless demolition of a usable building, but I do find this to be a poor use. DVC doesn't have close of the footprint that it has on the east coast, for starters, I'd imagine only a small portion of DL's guests are DVC members. Overall, there are plenty, don't get me wrong, but probably not in the same park at the same time with a sudden urge to walk up a long ramp for a mediocre lounge.

A west coast version of Space 220 would have been neat there, for example. Makes me wonder if it's just a temporary filler until they find a more permanent use for the space.

Nland316

Is this something that would even go through Imagineering?

Wondering if it’s possible that this lounge would be unrelated to a TL redo would be similar to the way refurbs and ride closures are. Different people different budgets?

Consumer

Better than a pointless demolition of a usable building, but I do find this to be a poor use. DVC doesn't have close of the footprint that it has on the east coast, for starters, I'd imagine only a small portion of DL's guests are DVC members. Overall, there are plenty, don't get me wrong, but probably not in the same park at the same time with a sudden urge to walk up a long ramp for a mediocre lounge.

A west coast version of Space 220 would have been neat there, for example. Makes me wonder if it's just a temporary filler until they find a more permanent use for the space.
Everything in that space has been temporarily filler until they find a more permanent use for it since 1988.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’ll admit I was pretty underwhelmed with space 220…one and done for me.

But I’m not adamantly against a replication in DL.

As far as “footprint” goes…aren’t they building a petty large dvc on top of downtown now? Easy to see where this idea is coming from then

CJR

Everything in that space has been temporarily filler until they find a more permanent use for it since 1988.

Couldn't be more true.

I really don't get why they never tried another stage show attraction there, especially right after America Sings was removed. I don't believe the building has the ability to rotate anymore, which is a shame (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I honestly stopped following it back when it was still Innoventions). I see the potential in a high capacity show like CoP and America Sings, with modern effects tossed in. Something along the lines of Wall-E could have been a fun IP tie in, given that IP is basically a requirement now. Such a shame they gave up on the concept, IMHO (EDIT, I guess we can say Smuggler's Run uses it, although, you know what I meant).

D.Silentu

This is an underwhelming use of a large amount of space, but I will at least give Disney credit for realizing that such an announcement does not deserve the spotlight at D23.

Phroobar

Couldn't be more true.

I really don't get why they never tried another stage show attraction there, especially right after America Sings was removed. I don't believe the building has the ability to rotate anymore, which is a shame (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I honestly stopped following it back when it was still Innoventions). I see the potential in a high capacity show like CoP and America Sings, with modern effects tossed in. Something along the lines of Wall-E could have been a fun IP tie in, given that IP is basically a requirement now. Such a shame they gave up on the concept, IMHO (EDIT, I guess we can say Smuggler's Run uses it, although, you know what I meant).
I guess we are never getting this:

DL%2BPlectus%2BRARE3.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom