Disney updates park rules and begins adding signs at park entrances

StarWarsGirl

We brought our 16 year old babysitter on vacation with us a few years ago. Sweet girl who did look young to be honest. The CM working Peter Pan flat out refused to let her and my two kids ride together. No amount of convincing would change his mind. I was like, "Dude, we're right here riding behind them in the next ship for goodness sakes" but no sir was he going to believe me. I've heard of being IDed for alcohol but apparently you need your ID just in case they ID you if want to ride alone with children. Sheesh!
Ugh. Know how that feels. Unrelated to Disney, but when I was 17, I was at an Orioles game and they questioned whether I was 15 and old enough for their giveaway. I raised an eyebrow and asked if they wanted to see my driver's license. Although I agree with the policy to not let 13 year olds in the park alone (heck, I was 15 before I was allowed to go to Epcot by myself while my parents were at BC; I was 17 when they would let me go anywhere I wanted by myself), ID is overkill. Most teens don't carry ID until you get your learner's permit or driver's license, and that doesn't happen until at least age 16. I know my school IDs have never showed age. So even though kids could easily lie about their age, they can't really ask for ID.

Sometimes I have to wonder about the CMs. Last trip, I had my brother, who is almost 13 and taller than me (about 5'3"; I'm 5') with me, and we were getting on Dumbo. Since there was a short line, we asked for separate elephants (a thrill for him at 13 to not be forced to ride with an adult). The CM questioned whether he was at least 7. o_O Um...kid taller than his sister, who is obviously over 7, with a deepening voice. Yup. Sure seems like he's under 7. I get that she was trying to enforce the rule, and I nicely smiled and said, "He's more like 13." Seriously, that was overkill though.

Daniel Johnson

Letter A under company rights is interesting considering the expanse of on ride photos and videos. Has that always been part of the rules? I thought it used to be on the back of paper or printed tix.
In my experience working at ball parks and concert security years ago, lawyers seem to find ways to get their clients out of trouble when rules of this nature are not written in plain text and in plain view for all attendees (or guest) to read.
If it was featured on the back of tickets, it's almost like it isn't there, I've noticed this more and more at public events....I appreciate them making these rules commonplace for every one.
Next will be multiple Laungages everywhere...can't leave anyone out.

I've also have not held a physical ticket in years....but, I have one of the old cards in my car. I don't recall it printed there though, just that it was Donald Duck and not Goofy

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

As am I - I often use an ECig, and have ALWAYS gone to a designated smoking area to do so.

HOWEVER - the policy was VERY poorly worded: It could be used AGAINST them... Someone is going to lodge a complaint over items that have nothing to DO with the inhalation of Nicotine - then try to sue.

"e. For the comfort of all Guests, smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke are allowed only in designated smoking areas."

Does WDW realize that they have a formal policy regulating asthma inhalers and spray on sunscreen to designated smoking areas? This is "another product", and it produces "a vapor". All they had to do was spell out devices emitting any measurable quantity of Nicotine - as in, over the detection limit of any current instrumentation.

How to fix the mess: exclude medical devices - asthma inhalers, oxygen tanks, spray on sunscreen... and watch out for medical MJ, if you go for "medical devices".
I believe the policy is referring to a device that emits a vapor into the air. A properly-used inhaler should not emit any vapor into the air. It should be entirely breathed in by the user. But beyond that, I don't think any CM would tell an asthmatic that they must go to a smoking area to take an inhaler. Anyone who would tell me in the middle of an attack that I need to take mine to a smoking area would probably either A. hear some choice words from me, or B. if I'm unable to speak, hear some choice words from whoever is with me. Oxygen tanks should also not emit anything

A nebulizer would emit vapor; however, personally, if I needed to carry mine around and give myself a treatment midday, I would go to first aid to do this. The medication in the air wouldn't pose any danger to anyone, but since it tends to make people uncomfortable, I would go to first aid. I also like privacy when using the device. I don't think asking someone to go to first aid in that case is unreasonable. But for emergency treatment or a kid using an inhaler, let the person be.

I'd love it if they'd have specific areas to spray perfume/nonmedical aerosols. That way I could avoid it and wouldn't have to worry about walking into a bathroom and potentially encountering perfume. It gives me asthma trouble, gives others headaches; it would just be nice

Daniel Johnson

I use an inhaler and a personal electronic vaporizer. I understand the difference, and use my inhaler when needed and in public, and my electronic vaporizer in the designated areas. A lot of "rebel" vapers seem to think that not including ecig in rules excludes them from restrictions. But, honestly, it's Disney World. I wished I wouldn't have been enamored with smoking when younger, and try to be as discrete as possible. I wouldn't be upset if they went to eliminating smoking/vaping in the park fully....but, I ain't the rule writer.

roj2323

Proper attire is a huge issue. My daughter constantly points out females dressed like they are ready for the club not Disney.

I really wish they had been more specific on this. This is very difficult to enforce because there really isn't anything set in stone.

Last edited:

ArtificialArtist

Prohibited item h.

Batman will have a lot of explaining to do at the gate, i'm afraid.
He might snarl at the Phantom of the Opera, walking past with a cheeky smile!

Figmentation

I really wish they had been more specific on this. This is very difficult to enforce because there really isn't anything set in stone.

Dress code is rather... difficult to explain without going into a 'Too Long;Didn't Read' sort of rule. When something is too long in this time and age when it comes to reading, people will glance over it and not read all of it.

So my opinion here is that they're trying to be short and to the point, which is the best option. While people do lack Common Sense in this place and age, they should have 'some' remaining to realize what to wear and what not to wear.

Back in 2006-2007 overseas people had a popular brand of shirt called . - While it had the "French Connection United Kingdom" logo under it. It was still a offensive shirt because of the way it was so closely related to the amazing swear word. Disney actually banned that brand of shirt from the park... and people visiting from over seas got furious over it because they were being told they couldn't wear a shirt that was so similar to a swear word. There was two times when I was working that a guest got so worked up over it that security had to be called.

I'd still say that this is more of a common sense issue than a rule issue.

WDWVolFan

Proper attire is a huge issue. My daughter constantly points out females dressed like they are ready for the club not Disney.
They are gold diggers...after all, Mickey, Donald Duck and Goofy do have quite a bit of money...or they could be looking for a baby daddy...cha-ching!

WDWVolFan

If Disney sees one thing on this board let it be this. I can not stand being behind someone and watching the fireworks through their Ipad.
Not to mention this: IF YOU BRING AN iPAD TO DISNEY TO TAKE PICTURES...YOU LOOK SO EFFIN' RIDICULOUS IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!

And by the way, the iPhone camera is just as good.

LOL

TheRabbit

Are we really getting hung up on the distinction of a medical device (inhaler) vs an e-cigarette?

Seriously people?
Agreed...there is an element of common sense involved, and I think Disney figured people would have a small amount of common sense on these rules. But the bottom line is, a rule (or law) doesn't mean anything if it isn't being enforced.

PolynesianPrincess

I wonder at what they consider "large tripods?" I have brought my Benro Angel tripod with me before with no issue and have seen several others with similarly sized tripods many times as well.

I, too, bring my tripod for shooting after hours pics and for shooting the fireworks. I know @blackthidot is there right now and I know he brings his tripod. Maybe he can give some insight? @WDWFigment also uses a tripod there. Personally, I've never had an issue with anyone telling me I couldn't use it, but that was a year ago so maybe they have changed the rules?

PolynesianPrincess

Hey now, if they can get away with showing stupid Captain EO still, then why can't I use my VSH camcorder?
20140211094727!Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg

My mom used to carry a camcorder just like this around the parks when we were younger. I can't tell you how many home videos we have from WDW in the late 80s, early 90s. She was actually even able to tape the Carousel of Progress, the original Imagination and Horizons with this bad boy. Now a days, that wouldn't be allowed.

ToTBellHop

As am I - I often use an ECig, and have ALWAYS gone to a designated smoking area to do so.

HOWEVER - the policy was VERY poorly worded: It could be used AGAINST them... Someone is going to lodge a complaint over items that have nothing to DO with the inhalation of Nicotine - then try to sue.

"e. For the comfort of all Guests, smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke are allowed only in designated smoking areas."

Does WDW realize that they have a formal policy regulating asthma inhalers and spray on sunscreen to designated smoking areas? This is "another product", and it produces "a vapor". All they had to do was spell out devices emitting any measurable quantity of Nicotine - as in, over the detection limit of any current instrumentation.

How to fix the mess: exclude medical devices - asthma inhalers, oxygen tanks, spray on sunscreen... and watch out for medical MJ, if you go for "medical devices".
Not really. The first word in the rule is "smoking". You don't smoke any of those things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom